Match Preview/Thread - Partick Thistle vs Morton (Championship 28th August) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Partick Thistle vs Morton (Championship 28th August)

Admin

4 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

Lolwut. He has said consistently that he's looking to bring x amount of players in, suggesting he can. Its his doing; no one elses. 

That's just nonsense. If he wants to bring in certain players but we are losing out to other teams financially then that's clearly MCT's doing. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

He knew the budget and presumably had a hand in agreeing it. You work with what you have. 

Agreed totally. The fact that we're in the middle of a fan takeover and not being bankrolled isn't a secret. It's not an easy job at all, putting a squad together at the bottom end of the full-time game. But it's the job he signed up for. 

I still don't think we're quite as bad as the scoreline today suggests but there are significant weaknesses in the squad, especially at the level of depth, that he simply has to fix ASAP.

2 minutes ago, port-ton said:

That's just nonsense. If he wants to bring in certain players but we are losing out to other teams financially then that's clearly MCT's doing. 

Bollocks it is. We're a modest club by Scottish standards and while MCT should be doing better, they're not going to make us a club that can compete wage-wise with Thistle, Dunfermline etc. overnight.

EOho8Pw.png

2 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Agreed totally. The fact that we're in the middle of a fan takeover and not being bankrolled isn't a secret. It's not an easy job at all, putting a squad together at the bottom end of the full-time game. But it's the job he signed up for. 

I still don't think we're quite as bad as the scoreline today suggests but there are significant weaknesses in the squad, especially at the level of depth, that he simply has to fix ASAP.

Bollocks it is. We're a modest club by Scottish standards and while MCT should be doing better, they're not going to make us a club that can compete wage-wise with Thistle, Dunfermline etc. overnight.

Right so if we can't compete with championship teams for loan players then why would he waste money bringing in players below that level? 

Just don't understand how anyone could think gus is happy with that squad when he's been complaining about it for weeks. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Can you even say from this that we’re getting the most out of what we currently have? Never mind signings. This is as bad as I’ve seen us play in a long time. 

He knew in May the budget and constraints we’d have. He has had half a season to asses the squad and plan appropriately. To be needing 4 players in on deadline day is just incompetence. Will targets have gone elsewhere for more money? Absolutely, but that happens to us every single season. 

1 minute ago, port-ton said:

Right so if we can't compete with championship teams for loan players then why would he waste money bringing in players below that level? 

Just don't understand how anyone could think gus is happy with that squad when he's been complaining about it for weeks. 

So if Brentford can't compete with Man City, that's Brentford's board's fault?

I'm not saying MCT don't have an obligation to improve our finances, they clearly do, but the idea that we should be pushing the boat out is ludicrous and their progress should be measured in years, not months. They're not even formally in charge of the club yet. Gus knew exactly what he was signing up for, namely a tough job in which recruitment and contacts in the game would be key. I don't envy those responsibilities. But we can't just expect money to magically appear from MCT's pockets.

EOho8Pw.png

Nobody at all forced him to dole out new contracts to absolute shite like Muirhead, Blues and Oliver either. There’s no excuses at all for being in this position, especially when the justification for keeping Gus on was the bizarre idea that he was going to be able to build on an illustrious 9th place finish and move quickly to sign players.

AWMSC

6 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Can you even say from this that we’re getting the most out of what we currently have? Never mind signings. This is as bad as I’ve seen us play in a long time. 

He knew in May the budget and constraints we’d have. He has had half a season to asses the squad and plan appropriately. To be needing 4 players in on deadline day is just incompetence. Will targets have gone elsewhere for more money? Absolutely, but that happens to us every single season. 

It was rotten today. I turned it off after the third goal but Oliver was miles off the boil and we couldn't even get the basic defending right, and the defence is arguably the strongest point of the squad. That lies with the manager.

EOho8Pw.png

Unless the 470k budget ( by 4 chartered accountants ill have you know) has been cut,  then he should have more than enough in his kitty to get the required players in. Our budget is meant to be more than last year and the same as Hopkins 1st season.

He also willingly kept Robbie Muirhead so if he moans about budget he can fuck off.

Get the feeling we have waited to the very last minute to avoid paying wages out.

If MCT have cut the budget making us an absolute shitshow, they should never have bought the club in the first place and Crawford would have been forced to sell to one of those other interested parties.

Would love to know these "behind the scenes" reason Gus spoke about yesterday.

Scunnered.

2 minutes ago, Madton said:

Unless the 470k budget ( by 4 chartered accountants ill have you know) has been cut,  then he should have more than enough in his kitty to get the required players in. Our budget is meant to be more than last year and the same as Hopkins 1st season.

He also willingly kept Robbie Muirhead so if he moans about budget he can fuck off.

Get the feeling we have waited to the very last minute to avoid paying wages out.

If MCT have cut the budget making us an absolute shitshow, they should never have bought the club in the first place and Crawford would have been forced to sell to one of those other interested parties.

Would love to know these "behind the scenes" reason Gus spoke about yesterday.

Scunnered.

What was this? Didn't see it.

EOho8Pw.png

31 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

Lolwut. He has said consistently that he's looking to bring x amount of players in, suggesting he can. Its his doing; no one elses. 

The strategy of waiting to see what we can get on deadline day is bizzare. 

5 minutes ago, TaunTon said:

Cheers. This really doesn't sound too ominous to me. Yeah, there's things going on behind the scenes, things being put in place. Probably not the best position to be in as a manager, a takeover looming, but it's something of a known quantity, and it's not like the last three seasons were a model of stability. So yeah, struggling to understand how this is some big conspiracy stopping him from signing anyone. Certainly that's not what it sounds like here.

EOho8Pw.png

3 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Cheers. This really doesn't sound too ominous to me. Yeah, there's things going on behind the scenes, things being put in place. Probably not the best position to be in as a manager, a takeover looming, but it's something of a known quantity, and it's not like the last three seasons were a model of stability. So yeah, struggling to understand how this is some big conspiracy stopping him from signing anyone. Certainly that's not what it sounds like here.

I'm sure there was a statement that said something like four accountants worked on a budget and it was increased from last season. 

Edit to add - see that's been covered. I think Gus has to take the blame for mismanagement of the budget either through extending contracts, "waiting on his targets" and then "waiting til deadline day". But MCT have to take the blame for his contract - there were very few signs last season he could get the most from a limited squad. 

9 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

So if Brentford can't compete with Man City, that's Brentford's board's fault?

I'm not saying MCT don't have an obligation to improve our finances, they clearly do, but the idea that we should be pushing the boat out is ludicrous and their progress should be measured in years, not months. They're not even formally in charge of the club yet. Gus knew exactly what he was signing up for, namely a tough job in which recruitment and contacts in the game would be key. I don't envy those responsibilities. But we can't just expect money to magically appear from MCT's pockets.

No but is it Thomas Frank's fault either?

I'm not a gus fanatic but his new signings. success rate is higher than a lot of our managers. I've not seen anything to say that his recruitment and contacts are any worse than anyone else in this division. Signing a Mansfield player on loan suggests he's had to look outside the usual places. 

Nor am I suggesting we push the boat out either,but there's no reason to suggest that we can't compete with clubs at our level financially for loan players yet there's every chance we are. 

No one knows what's going on behind the scenes so to berate the manager after our first awful league performance  seems extremely harsh to me. 

32.gif

2 minutes ago, port-ton said:

No but is it Thomas Frank's fault either?

I'm not a gus fanatic but his new signings. success rate is higher than a lot of our managers. I've not seen anything to say that his recruitment and contacts are any worse than anyone else in this division. Signing a Mansfield player on loan suggests he's had to look outside the usual places. 

Nor am I suggesting we push the boat out either,but there's no reason to suggest that we can't compete with clubs at our level financially for loan players yet there's every chance we are. 

No one knows what's going on behind the scenes so to berate the manager after our first awful league performance  seems extremely harsh to me. 

I agree that in general he's made some good signings. He's also made some duff extensions, though, and we're now several games into the competitive season with the squad incomplete. These are things he is responsible for and it's perfectly appropriate to point that out.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived