Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Dunfermline (Championship 31st July) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Dunfermline (Championship 31st July)

Admin

4 hours ago, so72 said:

I'd love a striker but cant see us realistically signing one. Ue has Ugwu, Muirhead and Oliver - i'd be surprised if he adds another one. Pleasently surprised right enough.

We had literally no fresh forward to bring on when Muirhead was breathing out his hole in the second half, and if Ugwu's niggle at the end of the game had turned into an obvious injury then we wouldn't have one for the Hamilton game already. Between this and the absence of a proven goalscorer, a striker has to be the top priority in the transfer market. 

Central midfield should be number 2, then a wide player and defensive option would give us more options/security in those areas of the park respectively. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, standman said:

I was shocked at how poor the attendance was yesterday.

I know there are mitigating factors but not to even reach a thousand is a very worrying  sign indeed.

I know a few people that just have no interest in going until the covid restrictions end. I get it, it's a pain.

58 minutes ago, Ton in Shawlands said:

I have a season ticket but I wasn't there yesterday as when I wear a mask for any length of time my nose runs like a tap & my glasses constantly steam up, even on a warm day. I'm not 'anti mask' but until restrictions ease I'll be watching online, if available.

Fair few people not wearing them once inside the ground and I didn't see anyone being pulled up for it. I took mine off eventually as it was just not comfortable after a while. No issues.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

6 hours ago, standman said:

I was shocked at how poor the attendance was yesterday.

I know there are mitigating factors but not to even reach a thousand is a very worrying  sign indeed.

Covid restrictions obviously had some impact, but I suspect at least as big an impact in yesterday's poor attendance was the availability of live streaming. 

Even after all covid restrictions are removed, I'm convinced at lot of people who would otherwise have attended the games will now opt for the live stream option at 14 quid, especially over the winter months. On a cold, wet and windy day in December, when the options are watching it in the comfort of your living room for 14 quid, or braving the elements for 20 quid, I'm sure a lot of fans will choose the former.

It will therefore be a big mistake IMO to continue to offer live streaming at 14 quid to everyone, once all Covid restrictions are removed. It should be limited the elderly, those who can't attend the games because of disability, and those living outside Scotland (or a defined distance from Cappielow). Either that, or charge the same for live streaming as entry at the gate, to deter local fans from choosing that option instead of going to Cappielow. 

14 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Covid restrictions obviously had some impact, but I suspect at least as big an impact in yesterday's poor attendance was the availability of live streaming. 

Even after all covid restrictions are removed, I'm convinced at lot of people who would otherwise have attended the games will now opt for the live stream option at 14 quid, especially over the winter months. On a cold, wet and windy day in December, when the options are watching it in the comfort of your living room for 14 quid, or braving the elements for 20 quid, I'm sure a lot of fans will choose the former.

It will therefore be a big mistake IMO to continue to offer live streaming at 14 quid to everyone, once all Covid restrictions are removed. It should be limited the elderly, those who can't attend the games because of disability, and those living outside Scotland (or a defined distance from Cappielow). Either that, or charge the same for live streaming as entry at the gate, to deter local fans from choosing that option instead of going to Cappielow. 

Aye its an interesting point. When it was lockdown, the stream worked well as most fans would have paid for it individually. Now that household rules have gone, nothing to stop 5 or 6 guys watching it in one house, on one stream, particularly away fans who may well travel but decide that's a much more convenient and cheaper option.

Was really concerned at that number yesterday,  although it's holiday season, covid limitations, lack of positivity with takeover, squad etc. Hopefully after the 9th of August, we are back to some sort of normality for the Queens game on the 21st with a better squad and off the back of a good result against Hamilton.

Think it's too simple to blame the streaming although that's definitely a factor. Don't have the numbers to hand but I feel like there were a lot of clubs on twitter who sold excellent amounts of season tickets despite there being a streaming option, that didn't really materialise with us. 

We are down to the absolute bare bones in terms of core supporters now and the biggest and toughest role MCT will have to play is finding a way to coax a community who have given up on Morton to come back. For me theres absolutely no chance in that happening without an excellent social media presence. 

More fans returning means more money for the club and also potentially more members of MCT so it should be a high priority for them and is not something that can be half arsed or done on the cheap. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

52 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Think it's too simple to blame the streaming although that's definitely a factor. Don't have the numbers to hand but I feel like there were a lot of clubs on twitter who sold excellent amounts of season tickets despite there being a streaming option, that didn't really materialise with us. 

We are down to the absolute bare bones in terms of core supporters now and the biggest and toughest role MCT will have to play is finding a way to coax a community who have given up on Morton to come back. For me theres absolutely no chance in that happening without an excellent social media presence. 

More fans returning means more money for the club and also potentially more members of MCT so it should be a high priority for them and is not something that can be half arsed or done on the cheap. 

They haven't really done enough so far to garner good will. The season ticket pricing is reasonable and I like the new kit. However, we are missing about 1/3rd of a starting 11 despite the league starting. We have signed a sex offender. The communication is absent and the office at Cappielow is difficult to get in contact with. They need to improve more than just the communication, but they've still got time to get things going properly. 

Have we hired a new GM yet? 

1) I don't see evidence that we're down to our core support in any fundamental way, but rather it was just not clear enough to casual/walk-up fans where and how they could get tickets yet. The club website provided updates but the Smiths'/general ticket sale amounted to a tiny section in the Tele and not much else. After 15 months of there not being any or enough opportunity to actually attend the match, it shouldn't be too surprising if those who are not hugely invested did not pick up right away how they could get tickets. That's before they consider what ridiculous hoops they might have to jump through as well to get in. 

I don't think that this is a specifically Morton problem (though publicising matchday details to the community should be prioritised) as much as a wider Scottish football problem. Dundee only sold 2300 out of 4000 stadium tickets for their return fixture to the top flight, which is arguably worse than our figure of 800. 

2) The stadium attendance only further underlines the need for Morton as much as the SPFL to lobby national and local governments to get all arbitrary restrictions and protocols in the bin, because the current situation is completely unsustainable. The cost of extra stewarding to act as some glorified mask police alone is a dead weight and once the weather turns crowds will fall away sharply. Keeping token gestures like designated entry times and the mask police and having a steward tell you when you can leave the ground are not harmless precautions, they will prove club-killing restrictions for this level of the game. 

3) While we have a mixture of live attendance and streaming options, it would be more useful for all clubs to disclose the figures for every game rather than just publishing folk in the ground. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, port-ton said:

If we can't even reach 1000 on a beautiful summer's day (albeit some would have been put off by the covid restrictions), how many do you think will opt for the streaming option on a cold, wet and windy day in January? 

Id hope the club are looking to progressively reduce the restrictions for each game at the very least. The entry times are the first thing that should be looked at - there was hardly anyone entering the cowshed after 2:30. 

Big shout out to the boy who got punted out for climbing on the barriers right on kickoff. Felt like the stewards kinda gave up on mask surveillance after that. 

4 hours ago, vikingTON said:

1) I don't see evidence that we're down to our core support in any fundamental way, but rather it was just not clear enough to casual/walk-up fans where and how they could get tickets yet. The club website provided updates but the Smiths'/general ticket sale amounted to a tiny section in the Tele and not much else. After 15 months of there not being any or enough opportunity to actually attend the match, it shouldn't be too surprising if those who are not hugely invested did not pick up right away how they could get tickets. That's before they consider what ridiculous hoops they might have to jump through as well to get in. 

I don't think that this is a specifically Morton problem (though publicising matchday details to the community should be prioritised) as much as a wider Scottish football problem. Dundee only sold 2300 out of 4000 stadium tickets for their return fixture to the top flight, which is arguably worse than our figure of 800. 

2) The stadium attendance only further underlines the need for Morton as much as the SPFL to lobby national and local governments to get all arbitrary restrictions and protocols in the bin, because the current situation is completely unsustainable. The cost of extra stewarding to act as some glorified mask police alone is a dead weight and once the weather turns crowds will fall away sharply. Keeping token gestures like designated entry times and the mask police and having a steward tell you when you can leave the ground are not harmless precautions, they will prove club-killing restrictions for this level of the game. 

3) While we have a mixture of live attendance and streaming options, it would be more useful for all clubs to disclose the figures for every game rather than just publishing folk in the ground. 

Agree with this.  I was unable to get to the game on Saturday, but even if I had been able, the restrictions would have put me off. Staggered entry and exit times?  Is that really necessary if folk just queue up 2m apart?  Masks I can understand but if everyone observes the social distancing rules that could be dispensed with as it is in restaurants.  The problem is really more the folk who insist on ignoring sensible precautions on principle.  However the overall effect is that going to the game is marred by various inconveniences and what we need is to reach the point where any minor restrictions are not really noticed - probably will happen fairly soon, but for now it's a bit of a turn off.  Add to that the excellent live stream we have now, and I can see why only 800 folk actually went through the turnstiles.  Many people are still worried about covid and the pandemic is not yet over.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

8 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Agree with this.  I was unable to get to the game on Saturday, but even if I had been able, the restrictions would have put me off. Staggered entry and exit times?  Is that really necessary if folk just queue up 2m apart?  Masks I can understand but if everyone observes the social distancing rules that could be dispensed with as it is in restaurants.  The problem is really more the folk who insist on ignoring sensible precautions on principle.  However the overall effect is that going to the game is marred by various inconveniences and what we need is to reach the point where any minor restrictions are not really noticed - probably will happen fairly soon, but for now it's a bit of a turn off.  Add to that the excellent live stream we have now, and I can see why only 800 folk actually went through the turnstiles.  Many people are still worried about covid and the pandemic is not yet over.

Some of us spoke about this on Saturday as well. If the point is to reduce transmission in enclosed spaces, keeping more people in the stadium for longer seems like a poor way to go about it. Similarly on the way out we were stopped a couple of times by stewards to stagger the fans exiting but again all this did was bunch more people up in a small space. So the whole process is just completely pointless and being done for the sake of doing something rather than mitigating any risk.

Be as well just doing away with the lot and if people are not comfortable with that then they can watch a stream.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

7 hours ago, port-ton said:

Given that a ST would allow them access to a streaming option, these aren't mutually exclusive in any way. Presumably Morton counted only tickets taken up for Saturday's game at Cappielow, so ST holders who watched the stream are in a separate category. 

I might take a look at the wider attendances later but the Dundee case alone suggests that ST sales do not actually correspond into high take-up of stadium tickets there either. 

3 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Arbroath had a better gate than us, according to Soccerway. Worrying.

Doesn't really change your point (i.e. worrying), but Arbroath did allow away fans at the game and didn't have anything like the restrictions that we had. 

44 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Doesn't really change your point (i.e. worrying), but Arbroath did allow away fans at the game and didn't have anything like the restrictions that we had. 

They’ve also sold 800 season tickets last I heard, whilst the most recent figure I remember hearing for Morton was around 500.

12 minutes ago, Toby said:

They’ve also sold 800 season tickets last I heard, whilst the most recent figure I remember hearing for Morton was around 500.

Was told on Saturday that there had been a bit of a run on ST sales last week and the figure currently sits around 850. Maybe sold a few more on the back of the stream.

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

If they were playing Dundee or the like I'd be more understanding of the away support, but ICT wouldn't take that many.

The Inverclyde restrictions are utterly draconian and need to be loosened.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived