Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Dunfermline (Championship 31st July) - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Dunfermline (Championship 31st July)

Admin

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will take that. Excellent first half, middling second, and a draw was about a fair outcome. 

We're not a million miles from a decent first eleven here. 

Oh aye, and that one moment of madness aside, Hamilton was very good. If he didn't come with his reputation people would rate him higher. 

EOho8Pw.png

Good comeback when we looked like doing the usual. Overall a very decent effort with lots of positives and much better than I expected. Great to see us playing decent football and hopefully a few extra bodies can add something up front if they ever arrive.

Ought to have been more than 1-0 up at the break and as expected Dunfermline changed it and we fell out of the game. Their 2nd was a shambles, particularly the failed efforts at the clearing of the first corner. Ugwu looks a find if he can keep that level of performance up.

Lovely to see Raith sh!t the bed so spectacularly. :lol:

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Definitely promising signs after that performance today. Fair play to the young lads in the squad who seem to be relishing their opportunity. Big Ugwu was magnificent not just in his performance but liked that he was talking young Lewis McGregor through the game and making a point of running over to him to pat him on the back when he done something good. I like that! 

Ugwu was unplayable at times, he just needs a goal now as you can see his confidence is high. Lithgow solid as expected, very good defender for this level. I thought Blues had a good game, won the ball and used the ball well. Pretty disappointed with Hynes, really poor on the ball and his positioning is questionable, but will give him the benefit of the doubt as he is more suited to playing as a wing back. 

1 hour ago, mcintyre_gmfc said:

Ugwu was unplayable at times, he just needs a goal now as you can see his confidence is high. Lithgow solid as expected, very good defender for this level. I thought Blues had a good game, won the ball and used the ball well. Pretty disappointed with Hynes, really poor on the ball and his positioning is questionable, but will give him the benefit of the doubt as he is more suited to playing as a wing back. 

Hynes and McGregor really struggled with positioning and decision making at times despite flashes of decent stuff going forward. They'll get found out pretty quickly if we don't get a couple of signings in sharpish.

Thought Blues was great in the first half but probably faded the most as part of a poor 2nd half midfield performance.

Lithgow was a big upgrade on what we have had in the last few seasons.

Sadly McGregor was light weight and found out by Dunfermline. Might be better against bottom half clubs or impact sub has something but not today.

Hynes playing out of position and got lucky a few times in the first half need McLean back or new central recruit to let Ledger play right back.

Big Muirhead had a few fresh air attempts when he looked odds on to score.

Overall happy as I expect Dunfermline to challenge for the title.

Equalizer was a cross come deflection lovely. 🤔

From that 11 today I'd like to see replacements for muirhead, McGregor, blues and hynes. Probably harsh on blues as he was ok but I think we need another option in the midfield. McGregor and Hynes also played ok in spells but both toiled as the game went on and Dunfermline targeted McGregor in the second half. Russell coming on did make a difference. I just don't see a place for muirhead in the team at all. He offers very little and when he does get the ball he tries to over complicate things. Much rather have ugwu and Oliver up top. 

We also need someone who can hit a decent freekick or corner. Our deliveries were awful today. Blues being the main culprit.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Shoutout to the guy who got himself chucked out of the Westburn for losing the plot at me being in with a Morton top on. Funniest shit I've seen in a while.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

8 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

From that 11 today I'd like to see replacements for muirhead, McGregor, blues and hynes. Probably harsh on blues as he was ok but I think we need another option in the midfield. McGregor and Hynes also played ok in spells but both toiled as the game went on and Dunfermline targeted McGregor in the second half. Russell coming on did make a difference. I just don't see a place for muirhead in the team at all. He offers very little and when he does get the ball he tries to over complicate things. Much rather have ugwu and Oliver up top. 

We also need someone who can hit a decent freekick or corner. Our deliveries were awful today. Blues being the main culprit.

I'd ideally like -

Centre-Mid who gets forward, preferably a creative one. 

Either a rb or cb (with ledger then moving back to rb)

Centre-mid to play next to Jacobs, ideally an energetic player.

Right-Winger, preferably someone who will chip in with a few goals.

....in that order. 

2 minutes ago, so72 said:

I'd ideally like -

....in that order. 

No striker? 

9 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

No striker? 

I'd love a striker but cant see us realistically signing one. Ue has Ugwu, Muirhead and Oliver - i'd be surprised if he adds another one. Pleasently surprised right enough.

2 hours ago, so72 said:

I'd ideally like -

....in that order. 

Agree with this, though I would swap the one sitting midfielder for a striker. 1 creative attacking midfielder 1 right winger 1 striker and 1 centre back to play with lithgow and let ledger go back to right back. Lewis McGrattan is a centre midfielder and he has blues and Lyon who can play as a two next to jacobs, can’t see him going for another one.

We could really do with a quick forward/winger who could either play out wide or play off Ugwu.

Oliver looks, very sensibly, to be shaping up as an attacking mid this season - at the very least deep behind a striker. I think that leaves space for a couple of quick winger/forward type players, but we need at least one. What we really lack in attack is a bit of directness and a quick change of pace. A winger and a striker would be good if the right options are there. 

The right back/centre back need is obvious. A good right full back/wing back would be ideal, but Ledger could move out there if a centre back is more realistic for what's available. 

Blues was ok yesterday. He makes errors and isn't great, but I think he's improved his performances. We could still do with more quality and depth in midfield, though. 

Saw in Gus's programme notes that we are looking to get players in. Didn't mention whether it was permanent deals or loans. Id really expect a RB/CB, CM, winger and striker to come in permanently and then perhaps one or two loans. The loans would need to be better than the young guys we have.

Hynds wasn't great. Especially his distribution. However, he was left exposed a number of times due to the system. 

Overall it was pretty positive. Good to see us actually passing the ball for the most part, and big Ugwu looked excellent. 

Great to be back at cappielow.

I want a pretentious signature too.

Archived