Chris Millar - A Tribute - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Chris Millar - A Tribute

Admin

When we were playing 3-5-2 under McCormack he was usually at right wing back, but I don't recall him ever being at right back in that period.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

5 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

When we were playing 3-5-2 under McCormack he was usually at right wing back, but I don't recall him ever being at right back in that period.

Indeed. He played nearly all of his football at wing back for the first couple of seasons, in Cowboy's favoured 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 or all out crazy attack (02-03, 03-04). 

The only thing I can't rule out is Millar filling in at right back mid-way through the 04-05 season. We had a period where McInally was trying to change the defensive personnel at the club and there were some really odd combinations in a few matches. But I don't think he did, Collins was back at right back that season until he jumped ship, Keenan was at left back for a while and we had some odd combinations at centre back. I think that was when Weatherson started his shift to the defence. 

I had in my mind that Millar was a right back but he did play most of his first stint with us at right wing back. 

Did he move into centre midfield right away at St. Johnstone?

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

1 hour ago, Mr.Blue said:

I had in my mind that Millar was a right back but he did play most of his first stint with us at right wing back. 

Did he move into centre midfield right away at St. Johnstone?

He played brilliantly for us at centre mid before he left. He had been either right mid or centre mid once we moved to a back 4 in 04/05. When Finlayson came in the next year he became the main player on the right (in the 4 and latterly in the 5 across the middle). It had been a bit of an area of contention for a couple of seasons among the fans because some would have rathered Jamie Stevenson in that central role. It wasn't really until after he signed the pre contract with St Johnstone that the consensus among fans was that he could be a really good centre mid. 

Archived