SPFL Trust Challenge Cup - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

SPFL Trust Challenge Cup

Toby

8 minutes ago, bob_the_builder said:

Hopefully we just play the reserves, can you imagine if Ugwu, Jacobs or Oliver picking up a serious injury from this game?  F*ck that!

Good point.  This competition has no positives for us, so let's just go through the motions and not involve our better players as far as we can do that.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Good point.  This competition has no positives for us, so let's just go through the motions and not involve our better players as far as we can do that.

It's one of our only chances of a trophy. 

The Challenge Cup was routinely treated with utter contempt on here back when it had the 'Scottish league teams only' diddy format as well. The revisionism on display here is strong. 

We should exercise our new-found right to withdraw from this particular version, rather than dignify a Colts team with our presence. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

23 minutes ago, irnbru said:

It's one of our only chances of a trophy. 

So’s the Renfrewshire Cup and that got canned again without anyone really mourning it’s passing.

In fact, the Renfrewshire Cup with the likes of Greenock, the Port, Arthurlie, Johnstone Burgh, Renfrew and Neilston would be far more credible than this nonsense.

1 hour ago, Toby said:

So’s the Renfrewshire Cup and that got canned again without anyone really mourning it’s passing.

In fact, the Renfrewshire Cup with the likes of Greenock, the Port, Arthurlie, Johnstone Burgh, Renfrew and Neilston would be far more credible than this nonsense.

Not a fan of the B teams at all but think the cup itself is worthwhile.

Would have been interesting to hear MCTs thoughts on this and the Celtic/ Rangers youth teams joining the leagues. Would have been a quick and easy win for them since the opinion seems unanimous. 

16 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Not a fan of the B teams at all but think the cup itself is worthwhile.

Would have been interesting to hear MCTs thoughts on this and the Celtic/ Rangers youth teams joining the leagues. Would have been a quick and easy win for them since the opinion seems unanimous. 

I absolutely agree it’s worthwhile, but only if the format’s right. It’s a source of frustration for me that having entered every edition of it, we’re still to win the Challenge Cup, but in it’s current guise it’s massively devalued.

I actually asked on the MCT thread a few months ago about their stance on the colt teams in the league set up and it received no response, but you’re right, it would be pretty much easy brownie points for them with the support to take a stance against them.

Would quite like to get the monkey off the back by actually winning the thing. It's a very tiny but quite annoying little monkey for me.

The final would be a good day out.

Don't endorse the B teams. Will have nothing to do with that match but still hope we progress.

3 B teams pulled out this year. 3 down, 7 to go.

I want to like the Challenge Cup, but it's difficult because clubs don't take it seriously. 

It's not a money-maker for clubs so there is no real pressure put on a manager to succeed in it, and managers know that their success is not going to be measured by it, so they're probably happy to get through a game with giving fringe players playing time and avoiding injuries. Adding colt teams has only made this problem much worse. 

My preference would be for a cup competition with 64 teams, which is the number of clubs currently in the 3 lower leagues along with the HL, LL (excluding the B teams). Seed the competition, with the draw mapped out from the start, to keep it interesting and allow higher up teams to include some fringe players early on without it feeling like the competition is devalued. 

43 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

I want to like the Challenge Cup, but it's difficult because clubs don't take it seriously. 

It's not a money-maker for clubs so there is no real pressure put on a manager to succeed in it, and managers know that their success is not going to be measured by it, so they're probably happy to get through a game with giving fringe players playing time and avoiding injuries. Adding colt teams has only made this problem much worse. 

My preference would be for a cup competition with 64 teams, which is the number of clubs currently in the 3 lower leagues along with the HL, LL (excluding the B teams). Seed the competition, with the draw mapped out from the start, to keep it interesting and allow higher up teams to include some fringe players early on without it feeling like the competition is devalued. 

That might be preferable to us, but I’d say for the teams below the SPFL, the best scenario would be to reinvent the Junior Cup under the SFA’s umbrella to become an all encompassing non-league tournament, similar to England’s FA Trophy. That should become a bit easier to accommodate now that the Highland pyramid is opening up and scheduling should be a bit more synchronised.

I’m no great fan of a lot of the junior clubs’ behaviour in the last decade or so in resisting the pyramid, but it would be a real shame for a tournament such as the Junior Cup not to continue in some form.

32 team straight knockout for the Challenge Cup would be fine by me. And while we’re at it, for the League Cup, I’d like to see the 20 League One and Two teams in the first round bringing us down to 32 and straight knockout after that, although that’s not going to happen with the sponsorship and TV package the current format can and does attract.

This would also open a window to reintroduce pre-season trips to Altrincham, Tow Law Town, Durham City and Witton Albion. What’s not to love?

47 minutes ago, Toby said:

This would also open a window to reintroduce pre-season trips to Altrincham, Tow Law Town, Durham City and Witton Albion. What’s not to love?

Fuck it, get that lot added to the League Cup group stage.

On 8/12/2021 at 4:01 PM, RealTonKid said:

Reading the list of teams that have won the competition is depressing. I forgot Stenhousemuir and Stranraer won it back in the ‘90s.

Anyone remember the old glass trophy?

25-D6-D780-7567-44-A0-A526-F41-FEBC453-D

Stenny's win was about a week after Fergus McCann had a go at wee teams and came out with "What have the likes of Stenhousemuir ever done?"

Stranraer won it without a shot on target in the final, and the performance of our team in the semis down there was a disgrace.

That final against Hamilton was a right kick in the stones. 

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

6 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Stenny's win was about a week after Fergus McCann had a go at wee teams and came out with "What have the likes of Stenhousemuir ever done?"

Stranraer won it without a shot on target in the final, and the performance of our team in the semis down there was a disgrace.

My first ever Morton game, that. I remember Rowan Alexander's opening goal, and the fact that we lost, don't remember a single other detail.

EOho8Pw.png

Just now, TRVMP said:

My first ever Morton game, that. I remember Rowan Alexander's opening goal, and the fact that we lost, don't remember a single other detail.

Alan Mahood being a surprise inclusion in the starting line-up and lasting a whole four minutes.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

13 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Aye the Stranraer game was a shocker. The comedown season after the heroics of the season before.

13 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Accies running up the park and equalising straight after. Once they went 3-1 up, it was pretty much curtains.

13 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Alan Mahood being a surprise inclusion in the starting line-up and lasting a whole four minutes.

I remember the ref had to go off as well.

• 1 month later...

Would be nice to hear the plans for the scheduling of the Montrose tie. Their game against Stirling in the last round kicked off at 1.30 to prevent a clash with the Scotland v Moldova game at 7.45 that evening, so I suspect the tie against us will also be moved, especially with Scotland v Israel kicking off at 5pm.

Friday night? Sunday afternoon?

Saturday at 3pm looks fine. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

There've been no Scotrail services to Montrose on Sundays for weeks, so moving it to the Sunday would inconvenience more people than the clash with the Scotland game does.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived