SPFL Trust Challenge Cup - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

SPFL Trust Challenge Cup

Toby

Away to Celtic B or Annan In the second round.

Annan away on a Tuesday night in August sounds like a lovely wee excursion.

Celtic B away on a Tuesday night makes EastEnders and Love Island sound appealing.

After so long without going to football, I’d still rather poke hot needles in my eyes than go to that shite.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Toby said:

Away to Celtic B or Annan In the second round.

Annan away on a Tuesday night in August sounds like a lovely wee excursion.

Celtic B away on a Tuesday night makes EastEnders and Love Island sound appealing.

After so long without going to football, I’d still rather poke hot needles in my eyes than go to that shite.

Our Second Round game against Annan (preferably) will be on Saturday 4th September

1 minute ago, bob_the_builder said:

Are Celtic B/reserves/colts/whatever they're calling themselves still using Cappielow for their home games?  Meaning we'll be the away team in our own ground if they get through?

No they don't use Cappielow now, think their Home games are at Airdrie

They've done brackets for the whole tournament now: we will be away in every round if we progress.

FB_IMG_1625664020568.jpg

Annan, Montrose, Stranraer and Fraserburgh please.

Reminder that everyone going to watch games involving B teams increases their credibility and we should all boycott this nonsense if we want them kept out of competitive tournaments, particularly when they're trying to parachute Rangers and Celtic B into the SPFL.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Everything they do with this cup chips away at my dwindling enthusiasm for it .

They couldn’t even leave you with the wee bit of anticipation of the draw being made for the next round should we get through 

Let's rock !

• 1 month later...

Celtic B beating Annan 2-0 late in the game.

Won’t be giving credibility to their inclusion in this tournament by attending, but full strength team, take a dozen off them and pretend the fixture never happened.

3 minutes ago, RealTonKid said:

The B&Q Centenary Cup still stinking out the Scottish footballing schedule 30+ years later.

I like the Challenge Cup. At least, I like the concept of the Challenge Cup. I don’t buy the shite about it being a “diddy” tournament- surely if you use that theory, every competition other than the Champions League and the World Cup is that?

Just make it a 32 team knockout tournament with the 30 lower league teams and the Lowland/Highland champions/relegated team.

There’s no need to polish a shite. It is what it is and there’s nothing wrong with a minor tournament being just that. I’ve got some good memories of games in it, especially around the mid-2000s.

1 hour ago, Toby said:

I like the Challenge Cup. At least, I like the concept of the Challenge Cup. I don’t buy the shite about it being a “diddy” tournament- surely if you use that theory, every competition other than the Champions League and the World Cup is that?

Just make it a 32 team knockout tournament with the 30 lower league teams and the Lowland/Highland champions/relegated team.

There’s no need to polish a shite. It is what it is and there’s nothing wrong with a minor tournament being just that. I’ve got some good memories of games in it, especially around the mid-2000s.

I agree.  I think there is a place for lower league Cup competitions.  One of the things that first got me interested in lower league English Football was seeing footage of things like the Auto Windscreen Shield, back whenever it wasn't widely covered by Sky TV and in a pre-Internet era.  

Perhaps the peak Challenge Cup era for us was when we played St. Mirren at a packed Love Street.  That was an era when we thought we could stand shoulder-to-shoulder with anyone in the bottom three tiers, and fancied our chances of seriously winning these things.  Let's face it, it's not like that anymore.  The belief has gone.

As well as colt teams, I'm not keen on random non-league English sides or teams from Ireland, Northern Ireland or Wales being involved in this competition.  There was nothing wrong with the way it was, except Morton not actually winning it ever.

My preference has always been the league. It’s a nice bonus to go on a run in the cups, but I’m a bread ‘n butter guy and will always take the three points.

For me, the competition lost its appeal with format changes, the introduction of colt teams and the dismissive attitude of previous managers. Given our limited playing squad options, I just hope we get through the tie unscathed.

20 minutes ago, RealTonKid said:

My preference has always been the league. It’s a nice bonus to go on a run in the cups, but I’m a bread ‘n butter guy and will always take the three points.

For me, the competition lost its appeal with format changes, the introduction of colt teams and the dismissive attitude of previous managers. Given our limited playing squad options, I just hope we get through the tie unscathed.

I think everyone's preference is the league.  Cups by their very nature are an addition to the league season.

I'll not even be looking for the result of this one whenever it comes around.  I always used to look forward to the Challenge Cup games but it's a shambles now with Colts and English/Irish non-league teams.  Focus should rightly always be the league but it was a competition we should have always had a realistic chance of winning.

If they put it back to something resembling its original format with just lower league Scottish teams then great but for now I'm done with it.  

Hopefully we just play the reserves, can you imagine if Ugwu, Jacobs or Oliver picking up a serious injury from this game?  F*ck that!

here today, gone to hell

Archived