Euro 2020 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Euro 2020

Poland as ever challenging Scotland's crown as Europe's clown. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

After watching the Czechia-Croatia game we have nothing to fear from Croatia and qualification is still very much an option.

Billy Gilmour is going to be a generational-level talent.

EOho8Pw.png

Just remembered "John Stones" completely Unmarked, going up for a header, limbs splayed like a starfish, and papping it right off the woodwork. What an absolute fucking breast. 

EOho8Pw.png

57 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

After watching the Czechia-Croatia game we have nothing to fear from Croatia and qualification is still very much an option.

Billy Gilmour is going to be a generational-level talent.

If we play against Croatia like we did tonight then we have nothing to fear from them.  Bring it on.

*insert signature here*

4 hours ago, pink_panther said:

Good performance. We know we're shit but England dont realise they are as well

We were better than the English all game. 

Not even Tartan tainted spectacles. We were in control of the game, and apart from the corner in the first 5 minutes never properly threatened. Our worst player was our MOTM. O'Donnell absolutely POCKETTED Sterling and Grealish. He's some boy. Absolutely shite, but an absolute unprenatable rock at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Hej said:

Not even Tartan tainted spectacles. We were in control of the game, and apart from the corner in the first 5 minutes never properly threatened. Our worst player was our MOTM. O'Donnell absolutely POCKETTED Sterling and Grealish. He's some boy. Absolutely shite, but an absolute unprenatable rock at the same time. 

The two early chances we gifted England aside, I agree. Nothing to fear whatsoever. O'Donnell put in a career-level performance - I'd have dropped him after Monday's debacle but that's why I'm not a football manager. Phil Foden, of whom I'm a huge fan in the PL, was made to look a fool. Mason Mount also had a terrible game. All credit to Hanley, a player whom I don't rate at all normally but morphed into Aldair tonight.

It makes the Czech result all the more galling, frankly. You see our opponents as team names and you quake in fear; you look at the squads, and then see them on the pitch, and you realize they're really not that great. We should have at least drawn on Monday and if you put aside Stones' miss there's a very strong case for saying we should have beaten England.

So it all comes down to game three. After watching the Czechia-Croatia game I'm increasingly convinced that not only can we beat Croatia, but we should. They were rotten and although it was a debatable penalty that put them behind, they barely merited the draw in the end. Their golden generation has ended. Is ours just starting? Well, it's far too premature to say, but the answer is definitely yes.

I believe this to be our best chance at tournament progression since 1982. If we don't make it, so be it. But we can't say it wasn't for the lack of a chance. This isn't a group of death, far from it. The good thing is that, for once, we have a squad who seem to have both the belief and the composure to make something of it.

EOho8Pw.png

7 hours ago, TRVMP said:

The two early chances we gifted England aside, I agree. Nothing to fear whatsoever. O'Donnell put in a career-level performance - I'd have dropped him after Monday's debacle but that's why I'm not a football manager. Phil Foden, of whom I'm a huge fan in the PL, was made to look a fool. Mason Mount also had a terrible game. All credit to Hanley, a player whom I don't rate at all normally but morphed into Aldair tonight.

It makes the Czech result all the more galling, frankly. You see our opponents as team names and you quake in fear; you look at the squads, and then see them on the pitch, and you realize they're really not that great. We should have at least drawn on Monday and if you put aside Stones' miss there's a very strong case for saying we should have beaten England.

So it all comes down to game three. After watching the Czechia-Croatia game I'm increasingly convinced that not only can we beat Croatia, but we should. They were rotten and although it was a debatable penalty that put them behind, they barely merited the draw in the end. Their golden generation has ended. Is ours just starting? Well, it's far too premature to say, but the answer is definitely yes.

I believe this to be our best chance at tournament progression since 1982. If we don't make it, so be it. But we can't say it wasn't for the lack of a chance. This isn't a group of death, far from it. The good thing is that, for once, we have a squad who seem to have both the belief and the composure to make something of it.

Aye all of the above.

Next.

*insert signature here*

23 hours ago, Hej said:

I wonder if Stephen O'Donnell walked up to Raheem Sterling after the game and said "Thanks for playing, Champ"?

*insert signature here*

On 6/19/2021 at 4:58 AM, TRVMP said:

I'd suggest it's the best ever. We've not had the benefit of home advantage before.

I expect Clarke to go with the same XI again, but I'd consider switching it up and having one of Fraser, Forrest, Christie or Turnbull replace Dykes to play off Adams. I think we might get more joy with that approach than using Dykes as a battering ram, but then I wouldn't be particularly surprised if Dykes was to win a physical battle with their defence.

If we win then the odds of four points not being enough to go through as one of the best third placed sides are extremely small, but we need two of the following results to happen across the other groups for a one goal win to be enough:

Group A - Switzerland fail to beat Turkey by 2 goals or more OR Italy beat Wales by 4

Group B - Belgium beat Finland OR Denmark beat Russia

Group C - Austria & Ukraine don't draw

Group E - Poland fail to beat Sweden OR Poland beat Sweden by 3 goals or more

Group F - France beat Portugal OR Hungary beat Germany by only one goal OR Portugal beat France by 3 goals or more while Hungary & Germany don't draw

You'd hope the results have gone for us already from A-C before we play so we know exactly what's required and aren't left worrying about whether a one goal win would be enough. Group B will surely deliver one of those results but you'd expect Austria and Ukraine to both be content with the draw so C is probably unlikely. Relying on the shambles that is Turkey's defence today then.

If Wales somehow end up being eliminated from this position I'll probably die laughing.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

There's something a bit embarrassing about 'celebrating' a 0-0 draw, but it was better than I expected and keeps up in with a chance of qualifying if we can beat Croatia on Tuesday night. If we play like we did on Friday night we're in with a good shout, but I've supported Scotland and Morton too long to get my hopes built up. 🙂 My prediction is 1-1, with Croatia scoring in the 95th minute. It's the Scotland way.

If there was ever a game where we needed Hampden to be filled to the rafters with the TA roaring us on to a famous win, it would be Tuesday night, but I'm guessing it'll still be the 12k or so fans as per SG restrictions. It's frustrating when you see the Hungary fans in Budapest urging them on, when their backs were to the wall against France.

I took part in a sporting event yesterday morning. Thousands upon thousands of people there. No masks, no distancing. Met old friends I hadn't seen since before lockdown and hugged. That's what the vaccine was for, right? Can't believe folk are still going along with this lockdown rubbish. At this point it's just cruel.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived