MacPherson and Millen Stay On - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

MacPherson and Millen Stay On

Jamie_M

I bet if Gus McPherson was to read this forum, he wouldn’t conclude that Morton fans are “happy clappers” in any way, shape or form.

Some on here are saying, quite rightly, that we been a basket case for 20 years and trawled to new lows this season with the playing staff and decisions made. Some of the same people seem to have wanted MCT to take a more leftfield approach in appointing our new manager.

Their first decision at this critical point in our history was to appoint a management duo with experience and a proven record, to stabilise the club. This was quickly followed by signing up one of our most effective players on a long term contract.

I still have the recording of Gus’s interview when he lambasts the outgoing regime for the horrendous decisions they’ve made during the season. He actually mirrors the views of most of the non-happy clappers on here.

To go from that to both parties agreeing a 2 year deal, tells me he feels that MCT are a change for the better, to put it mildly as his interview suggests he wouldn’t touch us with a barge pole unless he was assured things would change.

My first choice was Petrie, but I now understand that would have been a more risky although more exciting choice. I prefer this appointment to the ones that Dunfermline, Ayr, Falkirk, Alloa and Dundee United have recently made, and actually felt we dodged a few bullets with some of them who were connected with us.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

Of course it won't, but it's entirely within the powers of the new board to consider a different model that wouldn't put us near the bottom of that food chain from the start. Instead, we seem to have locked in more of the same for the first two years in the name of 'stability'. 

That decision makes little sense and overlooks the significant downside risk that if next season closely resembles the one just past, only with different blazers in the stand, then the faith in fan-owned change will be frittered away far more quickly than with a clean slate approach.  

Not to retread the argument we had a dozen times again, but when you were arguing that we were better off going down once we were in the playoffs and it was pointed out that spending years in the third tier could easily lead to fans losing interest and making MCT less viable as a result with members cancelling, your answer was that fans need to grow up and not spit the dummy over a lack of success on the pitch like that if we're going to make fan ownership successful in safeguarding the future of the club.

Surely the same applies if we continue to be pish in the second tier?

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

6 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

Is your thought process here that because they've made a managerial appointment you disagree with, the entire ownership model is guaranteed to fail and the takeover is a waste of time?

Using this barometer, no football club has ever had a successful ownership model.

Heard someone mention that they weren't consulted on the manager as well as if we'd be getting asked to vote on every decision. 

4 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

Not to retread the argument we had a dozen times again, but when you were arguing that we were better off going down once we were in the playoffs and it was pointed out that spending years in the third tier could easily lead to fans losing interest and making MCT less viable as a result with members cancelling, your answer was that fans need to grow up and not spit the dummy over a lack of success on the pitch like that if we're going to make fan ownership successful in safeguarding the future of the club.

Surely the same applies if we continue to be pish in the second tier?

There's a rate at which fans will lose interest and that rate will be unquestionably faster if it's the same boss as before, with many of the same players as before, with a similar aim as before, and quite possibly similar turgid performances as before. Only with different blazers swanning around the place. That produces a combination of poor performance and cynicism which would be toxic. 

I'm not saying that people would be cheering from the rafters if a new manager starting a long-term rebuild under different conditions took the club down instead, but they would have a far clearer sense that changes were being made and can assess for themselves whether it would pay off in the long-term. 

Continuity is not necessarily a good thing here. We finished 9th and were diabolical to watch over 27 games under a failed and discredited regime. The onus is on the new club owners and indeed the management team - whoever that is - to create as much clear water from that largely forgettable campaign as possible. Failing to do so is the greatest risk to fan-ownership getting off the ground, far more than your endless knicker-wetting about playing in League One. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, pink_panther said:

They did have ballots for other significant matters. So what's the difference?

Behave yourself. We have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to decision making and ballots and even if they did ballot I'm sure someone would find something to moan about. Namely you.

Just now, irnbru said:

You want them to have votes before every game to pick the team? 

Aye he probably does and a ballot about what grub is served to the players before games as well.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

They did have ballots for other significant matters. So what's the difference?

In order for such a ballot to make sense it'd need to contain full knowledge of things like break clauses and perhaps even budgets, which managers are going to be understandably reluctant to make public. There needs to be an element of trust here.

EOho8Pw.png

27 minutes ago, irnbru said:

You want them to have votes before every game to pick the team? 

Great idea. Give us the 16 players that are fit and available to be picked and leave the rest to the members. Worst case? We get relegated. Saved money on 2 wages. Cant do any worse than the shit we've been watching

44 minutes ago, pink_panther said:

Great idea. Give us the 16 players that are fit and available to be picked and leave the rest to the members. Worst case? We get relegated. Saved money on 2 wages. Cant do any worse than the shit we've been watching

You're at the wind up and if you're not then stay off the sauce.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

49 minutes ago, pink_panther said:

Definitely on the Urnie Juice.

Next.

*insert signature here*

Our decision making as fans is more that if we disagree with something so strongly on mass that we can pull funding and force decisions and changes to be made. It shouldn't ever revolve around the daily decisions of the club. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

4 hours ago, vikingTON said:

There's a rate at which fans will lose interest and that rate will be unquestionably faster if it's the same boss as before, with many of the same players as before, with a similar aim as before, and quite possibly similar turgid performances as before. Only with different blazers swanning around the place. That produces a combination of poor performance and cynicism which would be toxic. 

I'm not saying that people would be cheering from the rafters if a new manager starting a long-term rebuild under different conditions took the club down instead, but they would have a far clearer sense that changes were being made and can assess for themselves whether it would pay off in the long-term. 

Continuity is not necessarily a good thing here. We finished 9th and were diabolical to watch over 27 games under a failed and discredited regime. The onus is on the new club owners and indeed the management team - whoever that is - to create as much clear water from that largely forgettable campaign as possible. Failing to do so is the greatest risk to fan-ownership getting off the ground, far more than your endless knicker-wetting about playing in League One. 

Can’t help thinking VT that you’re too quick in associating MCT with the outgoing regime. You’ve always articulated your case well but I’m not sure where you’re coming from with your current assessments of MCT and where you seem to assume they’re already getting it wrong. We need your type of voice to hold our board to account but don’t you ever think you could give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove you wrong?

1 hour ago, capitanus said:

Definitely on the Urnie Juice.

Next.

Either that or he’s on the (Lord) Volvic. Wonder which one it is?

Have you ever Etta Crouton?

42 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

Can’t help thinking VT that you’re too quick in associating MCT with the outgoing regime.

If MCT wanted to avoid being associated with the outgoing regime then they probably shouldn't have handed its last first team manager a fresh two year deal. 

" We need your type of voice to hold our board to account but don’t you ever think you could give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove you wrong?"

More mouse in a maze logic: the new board do not require my papal sanction to run the fucking club. 

And no there's not going to be a benefit of the doubt when it comes to decision-making. We gave a daft old duffer of a fan 'benefit of the doubt' for years and look where that took us. I'm very much relieved that we've got a fan-owned club out of the absolute death spiral we were looking at, but that does not mean that the new custodians get a free pass. It is our collective asset they are running after all, not the board's private plaything. 

There are some promising statements in MCT's business plan but there is also some birthday caird pish in there that is going to come up against the hard reality of running a second tier Scottish club soon. Hard-headed choices have to be made from top to bottom to make this club successful and the early signs are that the first-team decisions at least are being kicked up the road for now. Only time will tell whether that's a wise choice but the risks of that decision should not be ignored. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

7 hours ago, pink_panther said:

He's the font of all knowledge.

My 6 kids also give me grief over my spelling, diction, social media or pc faux pas’. Hard to believe I got an A for English in every exam from school to uni!
Hope it’s not pre-senility! I find it especially Annoying when such a “minor” error completely takes over the Zoom debate from critical debates involving such as Trump, Boris, Scottish Election etc.! Does My nit right in so I better sort it if I want to be taken more seriously!

11 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

If MCT wanted to avoid being associated with the outgoing regime then they probably shouldn't have handed its last first team manager a fresh two year deal. 

" We need your type of voice to hold our board to account but don’t you ever think you could give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove you wrong?"

More mouse in a maze logic: the new board do not require my papal sanction to run the fucking club. 

And no there's not going to be a benefit of the doubt when it comes to decision-making. We gave a daft old duffer of a fan 'benefit of the doubt' for years and look where that took us. I'm very much relieved that we've got a fan-owned club out of the absolute death spiral we were looking at, but that does not mean that the new custodians get a free pass. It is our collective asset they are running after all, not the board's private plaything. 

There are some promising statements in MCT's business plan but there is also some birthday caird pish in there that is going to come up against the hard reality of running a second tier Scottish club soon. Hard-headed choices have to be made from top to bottom to make this club successful and the early signs are that the first-team decisions at least are being kicked up the road for now. Only time will tell whether that's a wise choice but the risks of that decision should not be ignored. 

I’m not sure where you’re getting this “free pass” stuff from. Nobody’s saying that, we’re just saying can we give a bit of our trust to the new regime that you and I have just voted for? You seem to want to be the prophet of doom, and if you’re proved right you’re vindicated, but if proved wrong we’re all happy Morton fans! You obviously never post without thinking through carefully what you’re saying (maybe unlike me), but We’re Morton fans, we don’t follow the OF because we dream (unrealistically) about what we may achieve. You’re analysis doesn’t seem to take these factors into account. And don’t think for a minute your views won’t be taken into account by MCT, they’re listening!

Archived