MacPherson and Millen Stay On - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

MacPherson and Millen Stay On

Jamie_M

I think we need to acknowledge that McPherson mirrored our views in how badly things had been run by the outgoing regime. He then showed some clout in being able to bring in McGinn and Scott Fox when required, then going to three up front. With the far greater influence on the squad he’ll now have I think we’ll be aiming for top four.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Tele reported McGinty was offered a new deal, I'm assuming they don't get their info from Ayr forums.

McPherson absolutely did perform badly. We won one game and finished 9th in the league behind Arbroath ffs, we had two games against them and Alloa to secure 8th or above and failed to win either with utterly timid, gutless performances which saw us playing with two holding midfielders and Sean McGinty at left-back. We were absolutely fuckin shite, the only reason getting through the play-offs seems like an achievement is because we were so catastrophically bad that nobody had much faith in happening because McPherson contrived to make an already rotten team even more toothless. For all there's no shortage of people to blame for this season, it's McPherson's fault we ended up in the play-offs and his alone - nobody forced him to keep playing Cameron fuckin Blues or Sean McGinty.

I know standards are low at Cappielow, but fuckin hell...can we not at the very least have the slightest bit of pride and asset that finishing 9th and only winning one league game is rubbish? If we seriously think what McPherson done last season was good enough and deserving of a two year deal, there seems little point in wasting money on full-time football.

Also, "it's not his squad" is bollocks. If he was so hamstrung by it he shouldn't have taken the job. It's not an excuse for not beating Arbroath or Alloa, not even close to approaching an excuse for it.

AWMSC

On the point of McGinty at left back... 

We were playing with four centre defenders and two holding midfielders at one point. It's OK saying the forwards aren't great but they've got very little to work with in that setup. 

MacPherson's hand was forced by an injury to Jacobs and McGinty being sent off so things had to change a bit. In the end we had a better option at less back and a midfield that created more and bright the forwards into play (Oliver benefiting form them as an example). 

It was clear for most of us that kind of change was needed but obviously not to Gus... 

6 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

I know standards are low at Cappielow, but fuckin hell...can we not at the very least have the slightest bit of pride and asset that finishing 9th and only winning one league game is rubbish? If we seriously think what McPherson done last season was good enough and deserving of a two year deal, there seems little point in wasting money on full-time football.

The excellent performances against Airdrie were very welcome but they've blinded people to the absolute tripe that came before it, and the upshot will be that Gus is judged on those two games and not the several against Championship outfits that came before.

EOho8Pw.png

2 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

The Tele reported McGinty was offered a new deal, I'm assuming they don't get their info from Ayr forums.

McPherson absolutely did perform badly. We won one game and finished 9th in the league behind Arbroath ffs, we had two games against them and Alloa to secure 8th or above and failed to win either with utterly timid, gutless performances which saw us playing with two holding midfielders and Sean McGinty at left-back. We were absolutely fuckin shite, the only reason getting through the play-offs seems like an achievement is because we were so catastrophically bad that nobody had much faith in happening. For all there's no shortage of people to blame for this season, it's McPherson's fault we ended up in the play-offs and his alone - nobody forced him to keep playing Cameron fuckin Blues or Sean McGinty.

Also, "it's not his squad" is bollocks. If he was so hamstrung by it he shouldn't have taken the job. It's not an excuse for not beating Arbroath or Alloa, not even close to approaching an excuse for it.

The quality of the squad he inherited is absolutely relevant if you're going to critique his performance, to say it isn't is just churlish.

For sure he deserves criticism for the team's performances against ICT, Arbroath, Alloa, and the first game against Montrose. Absolutely. But, if you criticise him for these games, then you surely have to give him at least some credit for the performances against Motherwell, Dundee, Hearts and Airdrie x 2, no? 

And why would you think I'm in the least bit proud of finishing 9th? 

13 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

It's the Tele we're talking about here, it would not surprise me in the slightest if the just took out straight from Ayr's official website, where this was quoted in the announcement of him signing. 

4 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

The quality of the squad he inherited is absolutely relevant if you're going to critique his performance, to say it isn't is just churlish.

For sure he deserves criticism for the team's performances against ICT, Arbroath, Alloa, and the first game against Montrose. Absolutely. But, if you criticise him for these games, then you surely have to give him at least some credit for the performances against Motherwell, Dundee, Hearts and Airdrie x 2, no? 

And why would you think I'm in the least bit proud of finishing 9th? 

The Motherwell performance was indeed excellent, for sure. We drew against Hearts and Dundee under McElhone too, so whilst it's alright results it's also not really worth putting on the CV, and likewise beating a part-time team in a lower league doesn't make up for the shite that went before even if the second leg performance was indeed good, it should never have happened in the first place. 

And no, I don't really think the squad is relevant. We know it's shite, everybody knows it's shite, but he signed up to take it on and he failed to find solutions and in many ways made it less effective. You don't get to come in half-way through a season and pick your own players, that's just not how it works. It's the manager's job to make it less shite, something that emphatically won't happen if you play McGinty at left-back and allow Cameron Blues near your stadium - lack of options isn't an excuse there when we have Strapp for the full-back role, and Colville plus others in midfield. Only one person is responsible for that.

I also never said you were proud of it. I said that as a club we should at least have the pride to have expectations that we don't finish 9th and that we should be able to beat Alloa and Arbroath. If we're not even meeting those extremely modest, bare minimum expectations then we shouldn't be rewarding it.

I am so far beyond letting people off with rank mediocrity at best: if we've any intentions of being a credible club then what McPherson offered was simply not good enough. This is precisely the mentality that's made the last 20 years an almost entirely mind-numbing failure.

AWMSC

17 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

The excellent performances against Airdrie were very welcome but they've blinded people to the absolute tripe that came before it, and the upshot will be that Gus is judged on those two games and not the several against Championship outfits that came before.

It wasn't all dross under his management though. A lot of it was for sure (as it was all season long before he joined) but we also had some decent performances, against Motherwell, Dundee and Hearts, as well as the Airdrie games. I think the 'blindness' can go both ways. 

27 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

McPherson absolutely did perform badly. We won one game and finished 9th in the league behind Arbroath ffs, we had two games against them and Alloa to secure 8th or above and failed to win either with utterly timid, gutless performances which saw us playing with two holding midfielders and Sean McGinty at left-back. We were absolutely fuckin shite, the only reason getting through the play-offs seems like an achievement is because we were so catastrophically bad that nobody had much faith in happening because McPherson contrived to make an already rotten team even more toothless. For all there's no shortage of people to blame for this season, it's McPherson's fault we ended up in the play-offs and his alone - nobody forced him to keep playing Cameron fuckin Blues or Sean McGinty.

Not one person is saying 9th is not rubbish but get a grip give the guy a chance to build his own squad. 

There's also a significant difference between the role of firefighting with an existing squad and competently building your own one. Overall I'd give McPherson 5/10 or something for the former but it's not a true guide for the latter. He could be great with his own start or an absolute disaster. 

A generous interpretation is that the board sat down with Gus and were blown away by his evidence-based strategy for pushing the club into the top half of the league. A more prosaic one is that the new board wants to keep the first-team transition to a minimum while everything changes elsewhere, but one or both parties decided that instead of having an extended and glorified caretaker role for this season, only a two year term would suffice. 

3 minutes ago, bigB said:

Not one person is saying 9th is not rubbish but get a grip give the guy a chance to build his own squad. 

Should we have given McElhone the chance to build his own squad under the same circumstances? 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

13 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

There's also a significant difference between the role of firefighting with an existing squad and competently building your own one. Overall I'd give McPherson 5/10 or something for the former but it's not a true guide for the latter. He could be great with his own start or an absolute disaster. 

A generous interpretation is that the board sat down with Gus and were blown away by his evidence-based strategy for pushing the club into the top half of the league. A more prosaic one is that the new board wants to keep the first-team transition to a minimum while everything changes elsewhere, but one or both parties decided that instead of having an extended and glorified caretaker role for this season, only a two year term would suffice. 

Should we have given McElhone the chance to build his own squad under the same circumstances? 

But remember VT, you made a good case for Morton being relegated this season. Are your views not therefore compromised?

1 hour ago, DreamOakTree said:

But remember VT, you made a good case for Morton being relegated this season. Are your views not therefore compromised?

Care to set out the mouse in a maze logic that led you to that conclusion?

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Ye, you are right mate, let everyone else put their hard earned dosh towards the best way forward  for the future of the club, while you just criticise the beginning of a time when the fans and MCT are at the forefront of helping the club develop . Stick your dough up your ring piece and gtf.

3 minutes ago, dmcewan16 said:

Never knew we had someway qualified manager's in out support.

we need to start building again and handing out 1 year deals does not hep that. 

Do you fall under the same category as those apparently qualified managers?

1 hour ago, pink_panther said:

I'm so glad I haven't put a penny MCT's way.Lipstick on a pig springs to mind.

Aye the less money they have the better I suppose eh?

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

3 hours ago, vikingTON said:

McElhone was heavily involved in the recruitment of Butler and Sterling.

McPherson brought in McGinn and Fox.

� The Fire Breathing Morton Guy - I'm not Pat!

Archived