MacPherson and Millen Stay On - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

MacPherson and Millen Stay On

Jamie_M

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck to them. Not overly enamoured after how we’ve been for the last 3 months, but there’s worse appointments we could’ve made. Interesting to see what the “exciting” news is later on.

A two year deal, meaning significant pay-offs when they inevitably get punter in January.

Getting through the play-offs shouldn’t cover up the fact that we were absolutely shite under McPherson and it’s utterly depressing he’s been rewarded with a two year contract for it.

AWMSC

Meh. 

Can see the club's thinking behind this. Bit of stability and much needed experience. A two year deal is a surprise though.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Hmm, not overly excited by this as, pointed out already, the team seemed to regress under their management.  They were however working with a very unbalanced squad not of their own making and maybe they can do something once they build their own team.

A 2 year deal is also risky!

here today, gone to hell

Not my choice but I can understand the safety first policy. My only hope is that Gus will now have a chance to put his mark on the team without needing to deal with Hopkins legacy of shit signings.

He brought in McGinn who eventually came good when needed, might see him back with Gus at the helm. 

I'm more worried at the moment about who he resigns, especially if he offered McGinty "a very good deal". Also makes sense we are in for the Montrose striker since he was in charge for those games. 

I do want to echo the surprise at a 2 year deal. A very risky move. It sounds like anything better than survival is acceptable for the next few years. It's going to be a way more competitive league next season. 

22 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

A two year deal, meaning significant pay-offs when they inevitably get punter in January.

Getting through the play-offs shouldn’t cover up the fact that we were absolutely shite under McPherson and it’s utterly depressing he’s been rewarded with a two year contract for it.

I am willing to give them a chance to build their  own team and see how it goes  before being negative.

47 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

For sure he didn't exactly set the heather on fire since taking over in March, but it has to be said he'd been dealt a pretty shite hand. Not wetting my knickers with excitement over this appointment either, but personally, I think we should reserve judgement until he's had a chance to build his own squad. 

Good luck Gus and Andy.

A manager who can only get a team to muster a shot on goal against Alloa and Arbroath in must-win games if he’s signed every player himself is simply not a good manager. The hand McPherson was dealt is the one he knew he was getting when he agreed to take money from the club and he played it badly.

AWMSC

Gus McPherson isn't the man to take Morton forward. The club have clearly panicked here and wanted someone in quickly given the number of vacancies flying about right now. 

2 year deal is also an absolute shanner. What the fuck are they thinking with that. 

2 year deal? Was he in for another job somewhere and we’ve had to go the extra year to get him on board? Who knows.

I’m not too surprised by it being Gus but we have what we have now so let’s just get our recruitment right, have a balanced squad and see how we go 🤞🏻

16 minutes ago, Hej said:

Gus McPherson isn't the man to take Morton forward.

That's a bit of a bold statement to make based on 2 months in the job and a sub-par squad. If course he knew what he was taking on beforehand, as all new managers do, but his remit was to prevent us from being relegated and he achieved that, albeit the hard way. At least give the guy a chance with his own squad before completely writing him off.

I do agree though that giving him a 2 year contract may come back to bite us if we're in big trouble half-way through the season. 

I for one welcome the appointment. Gus is an experienced manager who has won silverware, promotion and kept teams in the SPL. We cannot judge him for the tripe that Hopkin amassed in last seasons squad. Clear out has started, with no big loss, Marcus might have been one to keep , but he made the decision to move long ago

Good luck Gus & c0

forever optimistic

In different circumstances I'd have been tempted to look for an upgrade on MacPherson. Given everything that is happening this summer, both at Morton and the number of managerial roles available at the moment, I'm content to let him stay and assemble his own squad. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

1 hour ago, EanieMeany said:

A manager who can only get a team to muster a shot on goal against Alloa and Arbroath in must-win games if he’s signed every player himself is simply not a good manager. The hand McPherson was dealt is the one he knew he was getting when he agreed to take money from the club and he played it badly.

Remit was to keep Morton in the league...He did.

Now he is weeding out the dross and will be starting with nearly a blank canvas let's maybe give the guy a chance before throwing him to the wolves.

Archived