Championship 2021/22 Thread - Page 10 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 2021/22 Thread

20 minutes ago, ChampTon said:

I understand Clyde are a despicable club, but what was the reception of them signing Goodwillie? 

I wonder if it has more to do with the stature of the club? If he signed for Stirling Albion I don't think many folk would be that bothered but because he's now employed at a 'decent level' within Scotland is it more of a problem? 

I think some folk are also forgetting we employed his accomplice David Robertson for at most a season. 

At the time he played for us, he hadn't been charged with anything never mind found guilty of anything. He was linked with a previous incident, but I think that was about it. David Goodwillie was still a Blackburn player (albeit on loan) and would go onto sign for several other clubs (including Aberdeen) without any real controversy either.

He was an absolutely terrible player in his time with us, and most of us would rather forget it on that alone, but there wasn't a huge amount of controversy because the civil case came quite some time after he played for us. 

Edit to add: on the initial question, it was a very controversial signing for Clyde, and there was quite a bit of criticism. The Clyde chairman (I think) staunchly defended the decision and over time it just about flew under the radar.  I think in this case a lot of credit has to go to Val Mcdermid for being so strong and taking the lead on it. I think that's a big reason that this has so much traction. There was no one around Clyde who really kicked up that amount of fuss. 

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

The Clyde chairman (I think) staunchly defended the decision 

No surprise there. 

4 hours ago, gmfc_craig said:

Raith fan has set up a fundraising page for Rape Crisis Scotland in the light of Goodwillie’s signing. Link below if anyone wishes to donate…

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/martin-glass96?experiments=donate_now_track_click&successType=StaticDonateButtonClick

I'll wait for Raith Rovers FC to start it off by chucking in their money from their Celtic cup tie. The club are accountable for this decision, not their fans. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

There was a fair bit of noise about it when Goodwillie signed for Clyde and, whilst I don't keep close tabs on them, it seems the stench of it always very much hung around them and wasn't by any means forgotten by anyone.

Raith's fans, staff, backers etc are absolutely correct to be furious about this, especially given that the club (much like a certain other one who decided to employee a nonce) were given advance warning about how the move would be viewed. It's almost like a double insult to them and good on all of those who've taken a stand over it. It's shameful to see people trying to make excuses or muddy the waters for someone found guilty of rape in a court of law. Being a footballer is an extremely privileged position and a privilege that should absolutely never be extended to vile offenders like Goodwillie.

What I would say though, is that I'm a bit wary of some of the "external", if you will, clamour regarding it. Goodwillie has been playing football in Scotland for several years now, so for all that anybody else signing him was always going to generate a backlash from their fans, the general topic isn't quite of Raith's making: he's been creeping around for long enough, the issue isn't really changed because he's wearing a different shirt and it seems somewhat late in the game to be debating whether he should be playing or not when he's been doing so for years without much said about it. 

For all there obviously is a broader question, I think the way forward with this is to support Raith's fans in their protests and objections rather than any kind of long-delayed media storm. The symbolism of Goodwillie being hounded out of a club by its fans would be about the most powerful statement that can be made on the issue.

AWMSC

Ooft. Just seen the Raith statement. We knew there was nothing they could say to diffuse the situation but Jesus suffering f**k. That's a disgraceful statement. 

They could have stopped after their first line of defence was 'David is a proven goalscorer'. We get it. Sporting ambition over women's safety.

But to effectively double down with 'aye, we know he's a rapist but he's OUR rapist, he's one of us' - just WOW.

That statement is shocking. Basically a GIRFUY to Raith’s own fans. Surely this will end up with the Raith board having to resign en masse? Their lack of self awareness is astonishing.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

4 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

Raith SLO resigns.

I applaud every one of them too.

I only wish that the spineless shower of cowards in our boardroom had the same courage of conviction with regards to the matter of other filthy pervert that has infested our club.  Fans club my fucking arse.

*insert signature here*

Odds on a tabloid headlining them as “Rape Rovers” tomorrow? 

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

For what its worth, I hope that he stays at Raith.  Given our track record of signing beasts and the cowardly scumbags in our boardroom that let it happen, I wouldn't put it past them in trying to capitalise on this situation.  

*insert signature here*

Given that they already knew what the reaction would be, there was little chance of them backing down so early and they're obviously obliged to defend their employee and the decision to some extent or other. To be so brazen and almost aggressive in the tone of it, though, with nothing approaching any real acknowledgment of the issue or the withdrawals of high-profile figures from the club is absolutely appalling. It was sickening reading it as a fan of another club, I really feel for the Raith fans* being subjected to this and I hope they don't back down on it.

*With, of course, the obvious caveat that it's ultimately victims who are at the heart of this and nobody should lose sight of that or try to twist the situation into any kind of point-scoring, but the fan/club/community aspect is important too. These things don't occur in a vacuum and Raith's behaviour is an affront to their entire community and beyond as well as to victims.

AWMSC

https://www.raithrovers.net/52477/chairman-update-david-goodwillie.htm

This was all very avoidable and the first statement they released was hugely inflammatory in a way that means the Raith board can't (imo) wriggle off the hook, but ultimately the process here has been reasonable enough on all fronts.

For good or ill, clubs can hire who they like to kick a ball about and I understand why a board would sit and go "we want to get promoted, this guy is very good and could be decisive, let's do it and put everything else aside"; in turn, fans are just as entitled to go "naw, fuck that" and subsequently it's right for the club to realise that fans will always be the main stakeholder, that a line has been crossed and to try to remedy the situation.

I'd guess it's not going to be easy for them to negotiate the contractual situation without some goodwill (ahem) on the part of the player, but that's how it goes.

FWIW, from a distance it appeared that Clyde were perfectly content with Goodwillie's presence, and if they decided to take him back then ultimately that's their prerogative and they're within their rights to do so.

AWMSC

Archived