Championship 2021/22 Thread - Page 9 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 2021/22 Thread

35 minutes ago, HamCam said:

Interesting to see John McGlynn is more comfortable with rapists than long throws in football.

Whilst I tend to agree with that, there are no shortage of Morton supporters who are 'not too bothered by it' that we have a filthy serial pervert captaining our team.

*insert signature here*

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, HamCam said:

Interesting to see John McGlynn is more comfortable with rapists than long throws in football.

This has always annoyed me.  Goodwilie has never been found guilty in a court of law.  I'm not saying he wasn't guilty and I guess we'll never know but the fact he was only pursued through a civil action and was convicted on the balance of probability just doesn't sit well with me.  Have folk forgotten that his co-accused played for us?

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

3 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

This has always annoyed me.  Goodwilie has never been found guilty in a court of law.  I'm not saying he wasn't guilty and I guess we'll never know but the fact he was only pursued through a civil action and was convicted on the balance of probability just doesn't sit well with me.  Have folk forgotten that his co-accused played for us?

A private prosecution is still a court of law.  

*insert signature here*

Just now, capitanus said:

A private prosecution is still a court of law.  

Even so tagging someone as a rapist on the balance of probability?  That's so fucked up.  Why did the Scottish legal authorities decide not to pursue a prosecution?  I'm only reading about this now and it seems a bizarre case altogether.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

2 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

Even so tagging someone as a rapist on the balance of probability?  That's so fucked up.  Why did the Scottish legal authorities decide not to pursue a prosecution?  I'm only reading about this now and it seems a bizarre case altogether.

On the balance of probability that he done it, don't you mean?  That is the same principle how a normal prosecution works too.

Either way, I empathise with Raith Rovers supporters over this one.  Regardless of how good a player he is, or however long ago it was, there are some players that all self respecting football clubs should steer well clear.  He falls into that category.

*insert signature here*

7 hours ago, LargsTON said:

Civil Court is a Court of Law and the Judge there went through the Justice System for making mistakes that prevented a criminal conviction. 

It is wholly uncomfortable to see you nail your colours to his mast. 

I'm not "nailing my colours to his mast" what a ridiculous thing to say.  I'm not up to speed on how the law works in this case, I was merely going by what I read on wikipedia about it last night.  I've no urge to delve any deeper into it.  

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Barely 10% of reported rapes in Scotland progress as far as a criminal court as it's such a difficult crime to prove.

Without getting too deep into the whole long, complex and nuanced moral argument about rehabilitation in society in general and how it relates to footballers specifically, I do generally think if you've taken a punishment and responsibility with some contrition I don't have an issue with people being employed, although different people will have different red lines on this dependent on the nature and severity of the offence.

With Goodwillie you could argue the lack of criminal conviction actually makes it more complex and debatable, but let's be honest, a sincere argument about the principle of rehabilitation or the merits of criminal v civil law is never what you get from Clyde and now Raith fans defending him. It's just making whatever excuses possible because he happens to be a good footballer, exactly as you're seeing with idiots defending Mason Greenwood, and 99% of the time those excuses turn into absolutely vile victim-blaming misogyny. The civil case judgement is there in the public domain to be read, it's very clear what kind of person he is and the lack of criminal conviction somehow only makes it worse, because he has never had any real punishment for what he did or shown any contrition, still maintaining his innocence when everyone knows he's guilty.

He has never been found not guilty of rape. Like the vast majority of rapes the case never made it to a criminal court. He was then found guilty in a civil court and lost his appeal against that verdict. Whenever the case has made it to a courtroom the verdict has been guilty, because he is a rapist.

If Morton were ever to employ him I genuinely wouldn't be back until not just Goodwillie but everyone involved in sanctioning the signing was gone.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

https://www.rapecrisisscotland.org.uk/news/news/statement-on-raith-rovers-fc/

No doubt there'll be some lawyer to come along and insist to RCS in a braying, lawyerly tone that as these events happened a long time ago, they can't be treated as relevant by the rest of society any more because of the offender's precious 'rights'. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

9 hours ago, LargsTON said:

What’s really fucked up is being a rapist. 

The bar for a rape conviction is notoriously high hence the reluctance of so many victims to proceed. In many ways the police are complicit and seem reluctant tp proceed. The victim in the Goodwillie civil case demonstrated remarkable bravery in taking the matter forward and the outcome speaks volumes about the guilt of a man who just happened to be a footballer. I however agree with Dunning that individuals especially it seems football fans struggle with what is the red line for varying offences.  Given the circumstances, I could not have accepted Goodwillie at Morton but reluctantly accepted Lithgow albeit I would rather it never happened at my club. 

On a slightly different subject. Two massive games tonight in the league in regards to our league position.

Partick Vs Ayr and Raith Vs QotS.

A win for either of those two would be disastrous. I reckon Queens are destined to be bottom though. Ayr are currently the most likely at the moment to finish second bottom I'd say.

2 hours ago, HamCam said:

The bar for a rape conviction is notoriously high hence the reluctance of so many victims to proceed. In many ways the police are complicit and seem reluctant tp proceed. 

The bar is not 'notoriously high': this suggests it is artificially higher than any other criminal case. The actual issue is that it is far harder to reach that bar for a crime that by its nature has few witnesses or decisive evidence. Whereas someone holding up a corner shop and raiding the till will likely leave evidence all over the place (including CCTV footage). 

That's why the civil bar for liability is equally important, and quite frankly I'd rather a judge determined on the basis of probability rather than having some assorted clowns on a jury handling the issue at all. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Raith SLO resigns.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

3 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

FTFY

Just so long as the whole team don't resign before tonight and hand the three points to Queens...

What a massive own goal by Raith.  Given the reaction from their own officials and indeed almost everyone associated with the club, Goodwillie surely will never kick a ball for them?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

26 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Just so long as the whole team don't resign before tonight and hand the three points to Queens...

With Raith bottom of the Championship form table over the past 6 games, the odds on a Raith win were shortening anyway.

I understand Clyde are a despicable club, but what was the reception of them signing Goodwillie? 

I wonder if it has more to do with the stature of the club? If he signed for Stirling Albion I don't think many folk would be that bothered but because he's now employed at a 'decent level' within Scotland is it more of a problem? 

I think some folk are also forgetting we employed his accomplice David Robertson for at most a season. 

Archived