Championship 2021/22 Thread - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Championship 2021/22 Thread

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all seems a bit like Groundhog Day with Hopkin but thankfully instead of Morton having to suffer the consequences, it is poor wee Ayr. You do wonder how the man sells his squad planning to a Board - sign as many names as you can on the basis that maybe we find a diamond in the rough while in reality we all know (from past experience at Morton) - you cannae polish a turd.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheGoon said:

Partick trying to get Lewis Mayo & Jake Hastie in from Rangers as well now. Two very decent bits of business, on top of Smith. Shite. 

Aye I think Dunfermline and Partick has both recruited well this summer, I'd be surprised if they didn't both do very well this season. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

19 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

That won’t happen, both notoriously too inconsistent!

It will happen if Morton, Queens, Ayr etc are consistently pish which is highly likely.

Both will finish top 4 for me.

We must be the least active club in the country. Even Celtic have signed more players than us.

Wonder how many players have knocked us back in recent weeks.

Gus will no doubt blame the covid situation when we are bottom after 4 or 5 games but it's a shambles that we only have 13 first team players days before our first league game. Money can't be an issue, we let 15 go ffs and have only brought in 4. We have shifted more season tickets than last year, more MCT members, 2 new strip sales and have money in the bank left over from the 500k grant. Our budget is meant to be better than last seasons too.

Gus was quick to point out the fact we only had 1 senior keeper on the books last season and here we are ready to start the new season in the same boat. He didn't trust Wylie enough to put him on the bench a few months ago when we didn't have anyone else so can't imagine he sees him as a number 2 now.

It's an absolute joke the state we are in on and off the park.

52 minutes ago, TONofmemories said:

Money talks. We're simply not in a position to attract decent players with the money we're likely offering. 

I'm not buying that. 

MCT confirmed if we stayed up the budget would be the same as Hopkin's first season when we attracted Muirhead, Nesbitt, Cadden, Jacobs, Grant, Colville, Rodgers, Welsh, Baird etc as well as keeping McAlister, Millar, McHugh, Tumilty etc. These boys wouldn't have been on peanuts.

Add in guys  like Ramsbottom, Salkeld, Sutton, Strapp, King, Blues, Orsi who were on probably less than the list above.

We had a squad of around 22 first team players at the start of that season. We have 12/13 to date.

There should be plenty left in the kitty to bring at least 4/5 quality players in.

54 minutes ago, Madton said:

I'm not buying that. 

MCT confirmed if we stayed up the budget would be the same as Hopkin's first season when we attracted Muirhead, Nesbitt, Cadden, Jacobs, Grant, Colville, Rodgers, Welsh, Baird etc as well as keeping McAlister, Millar, McHugh, Tumilty etc. These boys wouldn't have been on peanuts.

Add in guys  like Ramsbottom, Salkeld, Sutton, Strapp, King, Blues, Orsi who were on probably less than the list above.

We had a squad of around 22 first team players at the start of that season. We have 12/13 to date.

There should be plenty left in the kitty to bring at least 4/5 quality players in.

The money we'll be offering will be shit. These are the facts sadly. 

Thistle/Dunfermline etc can all offer substantially better deals that us. They consistently sell double our season tickets as well. We're circling the drain of players. 

Yes, there might be money there, but probably not enough to attract anyone decent outwith the loan system. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Archived