Match Preview/Thread - Airdrieonians vs Morton (Playoff Final 18th/21st May) - Page 18 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Airdrieonians vs Morton (Playoff Final 18th/21st May)

Admin

8 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

I think some of you new age “football managers” are overthinking things. That was an absolutely fantastic performance over 90 minutes from Our Team - be careful what you wish for if that performance doesn’t quite match up to your criteria for a Scottish Championship standard of football! 
If that doesn’t float your boat then move on to some other interest!

Emm......I'm not a 'new age football manager' Dream Oak Tree...but thanks for the promotion!

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, irnbru said:

The problem with Oliver is he needs 5 or 6 games to get into form and needs players round about him that compliment him. No doubt he can be a cracking player but there's a lot of ifs there. 

Eh?....if you get game time..you get up to speed and of course he needs players around him...thats why he plays for Morton...oh for heavens sake.......

8 minutes ago, irnbru said:

The problem with Oliver is he needs 5 or 6 games to get into form and needs players round about him that compliment him. No doubt he can be a cracking player but there's a lot of ifs there. 

Yeah, that's fair. He does seem to be a system player. We're working off a low budget and we don't know how the squad is going to look so it's a risk bringing him on and having him run around alone, as we saw in some games this season. 

EOho8Pw.png

1 minute ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

Eh?....if you get game time..you get up to speed and of course he needs players around him...thats why he plays for Morton...oh for heavens sake.......

This is obviously at the extreme end of things but you wouldn't provide chances for (say) Ruud van Nistelrooy the same way you would for Raul. Or in the present day, Kylian Mbappe is a very different player type to, say, Lorenzo Insigne. Raw ability is of course the biggest factor but some players work better in certain systems than others. 

EOho8Pw.png

Job done comprehensively. That was never in the slightest bit of doubt, we totally controlled the game and every one of the starting XI played well.

I was sure when we ended up in the playoffs that we'd missed our chance at survival already by missing out on 8th. It'd be easy to attribute the turnaround from 2 wins in 19 in the league to 3 in 3 in the playoffs solely to underestimating the gap between the divisions, but you have to give the players credit for the mentality, and to MacPherson for instilling that in them as well as some brave choices over those three games.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

6 minutes ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

Well..... 

4 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Yeah, that's fair. He does seem to be a system player. We're working off a low budget and we don't know how the squad is going to look so it's a risk bringing him on and having him run around alone, as we saw in some games this season. 

You have to admit Trump.....Oliver is looking a more mature player now and not so much the 'sand-dancer' he was..reasonably..accused of being.

10 minutes ago, irnbru said:

McGinn and Jacobs can't play in the same midfield. Too defensive and do the same job. 

Actually him and McGinty being injured and forcing changing helped Gus a bit since it forced his hand to make a couple of changes that were needed. 

McGinn proved the perfect replacement for McAlister. As I've said every game his influence grew. He did a great job over the last 2 games. I'd love to see him in a Morton Jersey again! 

Good Morton sides have always had that experience in the side surrounded by young players with energy competing at the top of the old first division or as it is now the championship....even in Moore's side.

Keeping Ledger McAdams....if we can afford McGinn. I'd even keep McLean I dont think that would be expensive. Marcus is gone but if he was kept and you add a good centre back binning McGinty our defence has shown it far from shit!!!!

Theres alot of business to do but defensively we should look to retain a few imho

42 minutes ago, DreamOakTree said:

I think some of you new age “football managers” are overthinking things. That was an absolutely fantastic performance over 90 minutes from Our Team - be careful what you wish for if that performance doesn’t quite match up to your criteria for a Scottish Championship standard of football! 
If that doesn’t float your boat then move on to some other interest!

A fantastic performance yes. However, against a League 1 club who have played 16 games in 2 months. They completely failed against championship clubs all season.

56 minutes ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

You have to admit Trump.....Oliver is looking a more mature player now and not so much the 'sand-dancer' he was..reasonably..accused of being.

I'm not convinced he's really come on all that much since his first spell at Morton. I don't think he's a useless player but I do think he's a bit of a luxury player, despite his undeniable workrate.

EOho8Pw.png

Slept on it and putting last night's result into context we've still had our worst season since the Kenny Shiels season.  Have to give the players and management credit for beating what was in front of them but that was a pretty ordinary league 1 side.

We need to get this next managerial appointment right and it's absolutely crucial it's done as quickly as possible to enable the building of a competitive squad for the championship. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Still in disbelief that after the upheaval of the last season we came through the playoffs, and even more in disbelief that last night was so comfortable. 

1st half last night must be the best we have played all season. Great intensity early on and maintained dominance throughout. 

Caveat about our playoff success is that the League One teams had played a lot of games in the final 5 weeks or so of the season and Airdrie had a lot of injury problems for last night especially. However they took nothing for granted, going hard at it from the off and snuffing out Airdrie's chances. 

But with the off-field antics, rumours about having no money, 2 managerial changes etc. then perhaps puts into perspective that the end result of this season could easily have been so much worse. Hopefully winning the playoffs creates a bit of good feeling about the dressing room to hold onto some key players and try and get the right guys in. Certainly I would never imagined winning the playoff final 4-0 after sitting through 90 nervous minutes v Arbroath a few weeks ago and barely stringing 3 forward passes together. 

Personally have no issue with making Gus an offer. I'm not sure who will be making that decision, but assuming we don't have a Chief Exec or Director of Football lined up, with a reasonable book of contacts, get Gus signed up and that at least is one small piece of continuity over the summer.  

Great performance but myself and a mate decided to leave at HT after being continually harassed for not wearing our mask in the WDE whilst sitting down, socially distanced, outdoor and as I pointed out being vaccinated too.  Maybe petty on my part for being so stubborn but no offence was being committed and I like to have principles that I stand by.   It's been a pretty horrific year for the country and last night should've been enjoyable but thanks to the appalling attitude of the stewards it's left me disliking the club even more than I do already.  Fuck off Morton.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

44 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

Maybe petty on my part for being so stubborn but no offence was being committed and I like to have principles that I stand by.   

The mask would have spared everyone else from seeing the horrific injury you inflicted on yourself when you cut your nose off to spite your face.

Just now, Cappiecat 1.2 said:

The mask would have spared everyone else from seeing the horrific injury you inflicted on yourself when you cut your nose off to spite your face.

Aye I've already admitted I was being petty but thanks for that.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Archived