Match Preview/Thread - Airdrieonians vs Morton (Playoff Final 18th/21st May) - Page 10 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Airdrieonians vs Morton (Playoff Final 18th/21st May)

Admin

1 hour ago, EanieMeany said:

There wouldn't have been anything wrong with a streaming package based on the stream price which gave you a couple of free games. I can't remember many home league games we had, but even if it was the 14 then that would have been £196*, whilst season tickets were £220.

Free tickets for those who made that significant commitment last summer wouldn't be a give-away, it'd merely be giving them what they paid for.

*Edit to correct this.

It was 14 home games. Two games were offered as part of a Xmas deal for £25 (Queens & ICT) and two games were shown live on BBC Scotland (Dunfermline & Hearts), that season ticket holders had already paid for. If you bought an adult season ticket last summer, you’re over £40 down on someone who bought the individual streams and took advantage of the Xmas deal and Hearts “early bird” offer. That’s including the “free” Montrose Play-off Semi. There was no value to the adult season ticket whatsoever.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

Couple of points there in bold.

1) You really think Morton can't get 500 fans through the gate - admittedly following distanced protocols - to try to overturn a 2-0 deficit?

2) I don't care and nor should any regular paying customer off the street. If the club is selling tickets there shouldn't be someone outside going on about what a favor they're doing them. It's just a bad look. If it's a concern for the medium-term viability of the club to keep doing this indefinitely, then that's definitely a discussion to be had among the Board and, if needed, the MCT membership.

But to say so - not particularly quietly - outside the ground when people are queuing up is just the same old pathetic Morton hard-luck story. The punters in that queue, I know for a fact that at least two of them had took time off work to be there. Don't act like you're doing them a fucking favor by putting on a game. If it costs you money to put the game on, make a decision whether or not the game's going to be open to fans and then commit to it and do it without complaint. Don't put the game on then whine about it, it's absolutely pathetic and it is utterly contemptuous of the fans.

I couldn't give a fuck if the guy founded the club itself, much less MCT, he needs to learn when to keep it zipped. The correct answer to your question would be: "We've obviously done all the sums and it's quite a challenge to get this game going ahead, but as a club we've been eager to welcome the fans back for months and we're just delighted to have you back, even if it's just a few hundred. So our first priority wasn't to maximize sales; rather it was to get fans back through the turnstiles and to see how we can handle these ground restrictions going forward. We'll see how it goes on Friday and hope to have even more supporters back soon, government guidelines permitting."

That's an answer that's 100% truthful, acknowledges the difficulties, but doesn't blame the fans for having the temerity to want to go to a game and cost the club so much money.

Hopefully it's a one-off and the guy in question has learned from it, but it doesn't give me a warm and cozy feeling that MCT will much better than the current administration. Very early days of course and I'm still happy to give them the benefit of the doubt, but it's not a promising start.

Absolutely, I'm not going to burn down MCT HQ over it. Overall it's a small thing and they've done more than enough to merit the benefit of the doubt. It's just something to watch out for.

EOho8Pw.png

17 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Hopefully it's a one-off and the guy in question has learned from it, but it doesn't give me a warm and cozy feeling that MCT will much better than the current administration. Very early days of course and I'm still happy to give them the benefit of the doubt, but it's not a promising start.

MCT have credit in the bank, just as the Raes were afforded in the first few years of their tenure, but taking fans (and their money) for granted quickly loses you respect. Fans aren't stupid, as much as they would like to believe. The culture of contempt and the 'we're doing you a favour'  attitude has to change within the club.

MCT stepped up to the plate and took the mantle of responsibility, so they will become more accountable in the coming weeks/months. Positive fan engagement will get them off to a good start. Accentuating the negative aspects won't.

3 hours ago, EanieMeany said:

There wouldn't have been anything wrong with a streaming package based on the stream price which gave you a couple of free games.

There wouldn't have been, but that's not what they sold. In fact, streaming was only a sceptical promise at the point of season ticket sales with details not released until days before the first game.

8 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Let me try and clear things up a bit.

The "Blazer" and "Fkn Moron" some of you refer to is actually a founder member of MCT. So there is no chance that he'll be "emptied" at the beginning of June.

It was actually me that instigated the conversation with him by saying that I thought the club would have held the general sale of tickets before Tuesdays game to try and get some guaranteed revenue, all be it a maximum of £1500. Because, had Airdrie won 2/3 nil, the likelihood was that no one would have wanted to go on Friday in those circumstances. Therefore the club would have had our money on their pocket irrespective of people turning up or not.

He then went on to say that the reason they did not do that was that no matter if they sold 500 or 1000 tickets, this particular game would run at a loss. 

He mentioned the sale of season tickets based on a return of fans in October, that was delayed by the government rules (not by the club) and we were then told fans would return in January. Again, that was delayed by government restrictions, not by the club.

Now that they are allowed fans back in, in very limited numbers, they took the decision to press ahead with the ticket sales to do just that, get fans back through the turnstiles. He also confirmed that it would have been much cheaper, and far less work to run the game with no fans.

I have no idea what the costs of running this, or any other game are, or has been and what losses are being incurred tomorrow night.

Now whether all of that is true or not I have no idea. I agree that the costs are the costs (for example, player testing etc etc) will have to have been paid anyway, whether there were fans there or not. So like others, I can't see how this game will run at a total loss, but as I said I have no idea what the running costs for this or any other game is.

If he is indeed a founder member then that's even worse to moan about the cost of letting fans in. Jesus wept. 

They decided to press ahead with letting fans in. oh well thank fuck for that. 

If that's his attitude to paying customers then we're already fkd before we start as a mct founding member he should fkn know better. 

12 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

I don't know where your all getting the idea that he was moaning about it.

He simply made the comment that the game would run at a loss anyway after I'd suggested that it may have been an idea to sell the tickets prior to Tuesdays game in order to maximize income for the club.

And then apparently he started flapping his gums about season tickets and being "told" that fans would be back in October.

If he's a mate of yours, fine, none of this is an absolutely huge deal, but is it too much to ask that when people take time off to buy tickets there's not an MCT founder standing there discussing whether or not they should even be on sale?

You said it yourself: "He also confirmed that it would have been much cheaper, and far less work to run the game with no fans." 'Confirmed'? It's axiomatically less work not to have the fans in. It's axiomatically cheaper and less work not to have a football club or a stadium or a fanbase at all. Why is this something that requires confirmation, why is this something that even needs to be discussed in front of folk excited to get a ticket for their first game in over a year? Why do you think this is an acceptable way to talk in front of paying customers?

"It's hard to put on sporting events during pandemic restrictions." Fuck me, what a brilliant confirmation. You could have knocked me down with a feather.

I was about to do a "if any of my team talked like that in front of clients" hypothetical but I can't even finish it, it's literally unthinkable in a client-facing business to do that, it simply wouldn't happen where I work. Why's it so hard to understand that, when you're in public, you put your best foot forward?

EOho8Pw.png

23 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

I was about to do a "if any of my team talked like that in front of clients" hypothetical but I can't even finish it, it's literally unthinkable in a client-facing business to do that, it simply wouldn't happen where I work. Why's it so hard to understand that, when you're in public, you put your best foot forward?

This is a fair point and changing the mindset after so many years of 'customers' being a necessary evil, will take time. Good customer service skills have to be learned and clearly that sort of skill set may not be in abundance within MCT. (from my experience its in pretty short supply in lots of businesses).

It's not the biggest issue but it is hugely important in terms of rebuilding confidence after decades of disinterest.

No he's not a mate, but is an acquaintance.

Unless there was another similar discussion further down the queue, that I was not part of, he was not moaning about anything including fans being back or running the game at a loss.

I take your point about talking about certain things in public.

What I took from the conversation I had with him, was that he was as happy to see fans back in attendance (irrespective of whether they were losing income or not) as we are to be back.

1 minute ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

No he's not a mate, but is an acquaintance.

Unless there was another similar discussion further down the queue, that I was not part of, he was not moaning about anything including fans being back or running the game at a loss.

I take your point about talking about certain things in public.

What I took from the conversation I had with him, was that he was as happy to see fans back in attendance (irrespective of whether they were losing income or not) as we are to be back.

That's fair enough. And I don't doubt he's happy to have fans back. (I'm half-watching the Killie game now and it's nice to see fans back in that big daft stand behind the goal at Dens.)

The person I was talking to must have been near you in the queue because the exact same thing, the 1,000 tickets thing, was what I heard about.

EOho8Pw.png

Can I ask who the “blazer” or “fkn moron” was? Apart from a couple of them I don’t actually know any of the MCT guys beyond a profile picture on the website.

I find it astonishing that anyone would think this game wouldn’t at least incur serious costs- the first game or so that just about everyone has will run at a loss because of the extra precautions that have to be put in place coupled with the reduced crowds. If anything, they should maybe be grateful that a wee spin off from the club’s utter fucking ineptitude over the last 7-8 months has provided them with a pilot game a couple of months before everyone else.

I’d suggest that MCT will have to look very carefully at how they are dealing with people in order that they don’t fall into the same trap the club were in when we had Hawke, MacKinnon and TOMB cutting about the place. I already pointed out last week that there was an MCT official cutting about last week who didn’t even have the courtesy of telling folk what the script was with the printer, and indicated that I’d heard some concerning stories about one of their guy’s behaviour towards the media recently. This could of course just be one bad apple, but it’s a bad apple that could become far to prominent and outdo some of the good work by other well intentioned volunteers.

24 minutes ago, Toby said:

Can I ask who the “blazer” or “fkn moron” was? Apart from a couple of them I don’t actually know any of the MCT guys beyond a profile picture on the website.

I find it astonishing that anyone would think this game wouldn’t at least incur serious costs- the first game or so that just about everyone has will run at a loss because of the extra precautions that have to be put in place coupled with the reduced crowds. If anything, they should maybe be grateful that a wee spin off from the club’s utter fucking ineptitude over the last 7-8 months has provided them with the a pilot game a couple of months before everyone else.

I’d suggest that MCT will have to look very carefully at how they are dealing with people in order that they don’t fall into the same trap the club were in when we had Hawke, MacKinnon and TOMB cutting about the place. I already pointed out last week that there was an MCT official cutting about last week who didn’t even have the courtesy of telling folk what the script was with the printer, and indicated that I’d heard some concerning stories about one of their guy’s behaviour towards the media recently. This could of course just be one bad apple, but it’s a bad apple that could become far to prominent and outdo some of the good work by other well intentioned volunteers.

Just to be clear blazer was my word :D I didn't use the other. But I don't know who it was, nor did the guy who told me. (He didn't know it was an MCT guy, either, just that it was someone official.) I'll ask for a description and we'll get an identikit together.

EOho8Pw.png

8 minutes ago, ralston said:

Based on previous comments about ripped jeans, I think it was the same guy...

Who is he though? I had a look at the profile pictures of all the guys on MCT’s website the other day and there was no sign of this character. Is he even involved with them? If not, what on Earth is he doing?

Am I putting two and two together and reaching five by suggesting there’s a common denominator in all these things?

3 minutes ago, ralston said:

The guy who was providing information yesterday morning isn't showing on the current MCT leadership team website. He took part in a couple of the streamed meetings - think he's solicitor in Greenock.

You’re not going to put a name to the face, I’ll stop asking!

OFTW I would suggest, though.

13 hours ago, Toby said:

I find it astonishing that anyone would think this game wouldn’t at least incur serious costs- the first game or so that just about everyone has will run at a loss because of the extra precautions that have to be put in place coupled with the reduced crowds. If anything, they should maybe be grateful that a wee spin off from the club’s utter fucking ineptitude over the last 7-8 months has provided them with a pilot game a couple of months before everyone else.

How can that be? They’ve been lifelong Morton fans since 2019!

15 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

I don't know where your all getting the idea that he was moaning about it.

He simply made the comment that the game would run at a loss anyway after I'd suggested that it may have been an idea to sell the tickets prior to Tuesdays game in order to maximize income for the club.

Some folk jumping the gun here but I do think that moving forward any staff of the club, board members, MCT members etc perhaps be mindful of what they do and say when representing the club. For too long we've had this tinpot mentality and we also know that the wrongs of the Rae era won't be fixed overnight but small steps make big changes.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Archived