Match Preview/Thread - Airdrieonians vs Morton (Playoff Final 18th/21st May) - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Airdrieonians vs Morton (Playoff Final 18th/21st May)

Admin

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Drew Busby's Moustache said:

...and here was me thinking you were a supporter of Scottish Independence when in actual fact you're no more than a parochial wee cherub who cant find his toys and probably wants back in his Mummies tummy.

^^^ sobbing uncontrollably in a dead, bumpkin language

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

It was ridiculous to have Blues in the starting line up.  To be fair to him, he has popped up with a couple of vital goals this season, but too often he's just invisible or gets brushed aside.  We had Lyon, Colville, Nesbitt and McGuffie on the bench, but Gus goes for Blues.  I'd also quibble about having Jacobs and McGinn in there as they are too similar, but that sorted itself out when Jacobs got injured.  Lyon started slowly and looked a wee bit off the pace but once he got going he was imperious.  the strike that hit the post was a terrific effort once he got himself sorted to shoot, and the one at the end where he was through on the left was great anticipation and running - unlucky he didn't loft it over the keeper.  He has to be in the starting line up on Friday.  I would start Colville too as he can put in a decent cross which is useful if muirhead's going to be in the team.

We looked a far better team than Airdrie last night.  We were our own worst enemy with all the over-hit long balls, but when we got the ball on the deck and started passing it around, we looked a far better team.  I don't know if any of Airdrie's injured players will recover in time for Friday, but they must have a few more out after last night - ironic their extremely physical style has ended up with more injuries for them.

We must be favourites now, but we need to go for goals right from the start and  not just sit back and play for a 0-0.

Fox; Ledger, Fjortoft, Mclean, Strapp; Nesbitt, Lyon, McGinn, Colville; Oliver, Muirhead, or something along those lines, with maybe McGuffie instead of Muirhead.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

9 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

McPherson’s annoyance at the club/board was very noticeable in his interview. He said it was putting it mildly to say they gambled on having one goalkeeper. Then when it was pointed out the team had suddenly found goals after a couple of months of problems, he said THEY’VE been like that for much longer than that, and he’s only been here since March! He kept referring to the club and players as “they” not “we” so it doesn’t look as though “he” will be sticking around for next season.

I assumed that was more him distancing himself from the mess we are and how it's nothing to do with him, particularly around the goalkeeping farce.

I'm sure if he keeps us up, he will want it whatwith it being a fresh start, chance to shape his own squad etc and I think he will probably get it as he would have achieved what was expected of him, just.

Personally,  I expected more from him.

His record (in 90 mins) is,

W-3

D-7

L-4

And 2 of those wins were against teams in the league below.

Limited with the squad of course but he had seen us 4/5 times before he took the job so knew what he was getting into. 

I won't be absolute raging if he stays on as I think he could potentially build a half decent squad between him and Millen but I'm hoping we bring someone else in.

2 hours ago, Madton said:

I assumed that was more him distancing himself from the mess we are and how it's nothing to do with him, particularly around the goalkeeping farce.

Thats what I took from it as well

All available tickets sold, possibility of more available but there will be an update later today, according to club Twitter.

Thought the boy turner was good for the Nazis last night. Is he related to Tommy turner?

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

3 hours ago, Madton said:

I'm sure if he keeps us up, he will want it whatwith it being a fresh start, chance to shape his own squad etc and I think he will probably get it as he would have achieved what was expected of him, just.

Personally,  I expected more from him.

His record (in 90 mins) is,

W-3

D-7

L-4

And 2 of those wins were against teams in the league below.

Limited with the squad of course but he had seen us 4/5 times before he took the job so knew what he was getting into. 

I won't be absolute raging if he stays on as I think he could potentially build a half decent squad between him and Millen but I'm hoping we bring someone else in.

On reflection you’re probably right. He’s likely referring to the outgoing regime in much the same way as we do. McGinn has found his game in recent matches and could be the difference on Friday especially if Jacobs misses out.

I wouldn't worry about Jacobs. We looked far better after Lyon replaced him and with McGinn, who was initially brought in when Jacobs was injured, in the team, I think we can afford not to have Jacobs in there as although he is a decent ball winner he isn't much good at being creative.  McGinn with Lyon & Colville (plus 1 more if we want 4 in midfield) is probably our best option for Friday. As long as we don't get Blues starting - what on earth do managers see in him?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

5 minutes ago, Alibi said:

I wouldn't worry about Jacobs. We looked far better after Lyon replaced him and with McGinn, who was initially brought in when Jacobs was injured, in the team, I think we can afford not to have Jacobs in there as although he is a decent ball winner he isn't much good at being creative.  McGinn with Lyon & Colville (plus 1 more if we want 4 in midfield) is probably our best option for Friday. As long as we don't get Blues starting - what on earth do managers see in him?

Blues will start.

Agree on Jacobs injury being a blessing in disguise, means Gus can't easily have 2 fully defensive midfielders, something we've been shouting that he should change for weeks.

We shouldn't be trying to contain and sit on our 1-0 lead. Airdrie were poor, will likely have further injury issues, and have to come out to try to score. We should be cautious but look to kill them off.

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

Blues will start.

Agree on Jacobs injury being a blessing in disguise, means Gus can't easily have 2 fully defensive midfielders, something we've been shouting that he should change for weeks.

We shouldn't be trying to contain and sit on our 1-0 lead. Airdrie were poor, will likely have further injury issues, and have to come out to try to score. We should be cautious but look to kill them off.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Millar slot in though.

While I tend to agree with what McPherson is saying, it's a bit tiresome hearing it more than once. Or even at all. He surely knew we were a mess when he agreed to take over.

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, EanieMeany said:

Gus is in the Tele describing Muirhead as having been "excellent", which I guess is all anybody really needs to know about how shite this season has been.

Fuck right up Gus.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Apparently ticket sales went smoothly enough. There was some blazer outside complaining that even with 1,000 fans the game would be running at a loss due to the cost of accommodating fans. A fair complaint but probably not something to be loudly broadcasting to people who have shown up hoping to support the team.

Either way, sounds like there'll be a full 500 at the game, or not far off it.

Intae thum.

EOho8Pw.png

2 hours ago, EanieMeany said:

Gus is in the Tele describing Muirhead as having been "excellent", which I guess is all anybody really needs to know about how shite this season has been.

7 hours ago, Madton said:

Take it back, I would be raging if he thinks Muirhead has been excellent.  Visions of Mcginty, Orsi, Blues, Muirhead etc getting new deals under Gus.

Archived