Match Preview/Thread - Montrose vs Morton (Championship Playoff Semi Finals 8th/11th May) - Page 20 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Montrose vs Morton (Championship Playoff Semi Finals 8th/11th May)

Admin

Would be nice to see the highlights. The club have produced a video on protocols for the match next week early doors which is good but would also like to see the goals that got us there.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see the SLO has the champagne out for the "fan centred" reaction to the club's inability to plan ticket sales properly. Brilliant. So because the club did an alright job of mitigating a completely predictable failure, it's pats on the back all round.

We get the club we deserve. Pinning medals to well-meaning amateurs, no matter how objectively shan their ministrations are, is the story of the past two decades. 

EOho8Pw.png

8 hours ago, TRVMP said:

I see the SLO has the champagne out for the "fan centred" reaction to the club's inability to plan ticket sales properly. Brilliant. So because the club did an alright job of mitigating a completely predictable failure, it's pats on the back all round.

We get the club we deserve. Pinning medals to well-meaning amateurs, no matter how objectively shan their ministrations are, is the story of the past two decades. 

I wouldn't want to be too critical of the SLO but we need to start instilling high expectations into all our interactions with fans and refusing to accept nonsense excuses for fucking up basic tasks. Think it through, test it works, deliver it. 

2 hours ago, TaunTon said:

I wouldn't want to be too critical of the SLO but we need to start instilling high expectations into all our interactions with fans and refusing to accept nonsense excuses for fucking up basic tasks. Think it through, test it works, deliver it. 

While waiting for my ticket yesterday, I got speaking to an MCT official (only word o can think of just now) whom I've known for sometime.

He assured me that the system had been tested the day before and it worked fine.

He further , and quite honestly, blamed this on years of a lack of investment on a number of very basic things.

While I don't condone yesterday's balls up, I'd give MCT a chance to fix these things before hanging anyone.

37 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

While waiting for my ticket yesterday, I got speaking to an MCT official (only word o can think of just now) whom I've known for sometime.

He assured me that the system had been tested the day before and it worked fine.

He further , and quite honestly, blamed this on years of a lack of investment on a number of very basic things.

While I don't condone yesterday's balls up, I'd give MCT a chance to fix these things before hanging anyone.

What system? Seeing if the printer worked? The buck for this getting ballsed up can't really be deflected, it's not a difficult operation.

AWMSC

39 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Don't get me wrong I'm quite happy to accept that it will take some time to get all of our ducks in a row, but it is essential that we set our stall out early that 'good enough' is not what we are aiming for. Improving on what we have had for the past 20 years in not likely to be a difficult task but it must be prioritized.

I wonder how much it's gonna cost the club having to send the tickets out now, instead of having the foresight of pre-printing them and having them in-hand, ready to go. The legacy of poor planning and fundamental failures keeps haunting the club and only serves to further frustrate the fans.

I don't envy the job MCT are going to inherit in just over a fortnight's time. I hope whatever they've learned so far, they soon forget and do the opposite. They have to root out the 'meh, good enough' culture at the club and start adopting a professional approach to all facets, including ticketing.

1 hour ago, TaunTon said:

Don't get me wrong I'm quite happy to accept that it will take some time to get all of our ducks in a row, but it is essential that we set our stall out early that 'good enough' is not what we are aiming for. Improving on what we have had for the past 20 years in not likely to be a difficult task but it must be prioritized.

Absolutely, all I'm saying is people shouldn't be too quick to prepare the gallows.

If things continue as they have been then he'll mend them, but they have to have a chance to change things.

The SLO has been criticised for his Twitter post, of he'd sat on his arse and not done anything he'd also be criticised for not making any form of apology.

2 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

There was an MCT official cutting about outside the ground whilst I was queuing for my ticket who didn't even look in the direction of those waiting for their tickets (balding guy with a white beard and ripped jeans more suited to a man a third of his age), instead leaving the SLO to explain what had happened with the printer.

The SLO was great to be fair, quite open and honest about everything, and explaining how passionately he feels about righting some of the wrongs of the outgoing regime, as well as chatting to me about my blogs on here and Dean's podcasts.

But the first thing that has to be done is for the attitude of "that'll do" to be replaced by an approach of "how can we get it right first time?" and for someone to take a bit of accountability, instead of the usual throwing Brendan out to deal with it or, on this occasion, an unpaid volunteer.

In isolation, it's not a big deal, but this is a club that's signed players that are ineligible to actually play; released bogging, cheaply made kits and stuck a £40 price tag on them before having to backtrack and sell something that's more value for money; sent letters out to folk about their behaviour when they haven't even been arrested or charged, let alone convicted; drastically reduced season ticket prices and when establishing it was a failed move, scored the marketing own goal of having to increase them by 50% to bring them back in line with what they can afford, sold calendars at fucking 140% the going rate; blocked fans on social media for having the temerity to criticise them; not appointed a manager for three months and allowed the club captain to walk on the last day of the transfer window when in the middle of a relegation battle and not had hot running water in the Cowshed bogs for years. Christ, they even had to change their pies when we all went off our nut about how shite they were.

Of course, none of these things are under MCT's watch (although I suspect there are lessons that haven't been learned about handling criticsim going by some stories I heard recently) but they have a lot to do about changing perceptions. And good public relations come from the top. Time to take a bit of accountablilty instead of throwing volunteers and junior members of staff to the lions.

EDIT: The streams, how could I forget the streams?

15 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Wouldn't be too critical of the SLO here, as I believe it was actually his suggestion that the tickets be posted out rather than having folk wait around for the printer to be fixed.

He said the queue was halfway to the norseman when he arrived at Cappielow yesterday.

42 minutes ago, JLTON said:

Wouldn't be too critical of the SLO here, as I believe it was actually his suggestion that the tickets be posted out rather than having folk wait around for the printer to be fixed.

He said the queue was halfway to the norseman when he arrived at Cappielow yesterday.

The suggestion isn't the problem. It's a perfectly fine suggestion. As I said in the message you quoted, it's that because it's kinda-sorta worked out alright in the end, the need for this "reaction" in the first place is ignored. 

In isolation, as Toby says, none of these things is the end of the world, but it's a slow drip of accepting any old rubbish and plastering over it that's got us where we are today.

2.8m in debt as of the last accounts. This should be tattooed on the eyelids of everyone at Cappielow. Through MCT's hard work and a bit of government largesse we now have a balance surplus but if we stay on the current path there is *literally* a zero percent chance of this continuing. If you can't sell 500 tickets properly, you're axiomatically not doing your job of administering a football club. I certainly hope that MCT are not as accepting of failure as the previous regime. 

EOho8Pw.png

2 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Absolutely, all I'm saying is people shouldn't be too quick to prepare the gallows.

If things continue as they have been then he'll mend them, but they have to have a chance to change things.

The SLO has been criticised for his Twitter post, of he'd sat on his arse and not done anything he'd also be criticised for not making any form of apology.

By whom, specifically? I wouldn't have given a fuck either way if he hadn't tweeted about it. From the sounds of it he was at the ground actively making himself useful, which is far more important. Going on Twitter to half-apologize before congratulating yourself isn't that high on the agenda for me. 

EOho8Pw.png

19 hours ago, GiGi said:

Would be nice to see the highlights. The club have produced a video on protocols for the match next week early doors which is good but would also like to see the goals that got us there.

And see, this is good, but I didn't see it because it wasn't on the Morton site or the Morton Twitter page. I get that the game is still a while off but why create this without publicizing it?

Fans Protocol Guide - YouTube

It's a good wee video! The protocols are ridiculous and mostly theatrical but that's not Morton's lookout, their job is just to enforce them, and this video's a great way of doing so.

Cappie should be taking training, by the way, he takes nae shite.

EOho8Pw.png

22 hours ago, GiGi said:

Still no club highlights but:

On 5/13/2021 at 12:42 PM, ChampTon said:

Even if I was a season ticket holder I'd be giving this game a miss. In the stand, fairly annoying protocols to follow and nae pie. The only thing that makes it bareablenis that you can go for a few drinks before. 

Having considered pre game time and sit where you are told left my ticket in the pot.

Understand from mates they have also opted out so more like a 100 on public sale I expect.

On 5/14/2021 at 1:47 PM, JLTON said:

He seems to have taken on a lot of stuff the club should be doing as part of the voluntary role he does and plugging a lot of gaps as well as being very vocal and getting quick answers so don't think anyone can criticise him at all. 

After the scenes yesterday and the amount of bother those mutants caused. I wouldn't be surprised if the SFA can the fan idea.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Archived