Match Preview/Thread - Montrose vs Morton (Championship Playoff Semi Finals 8th/11th May) - Page 19 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Montrose vs Morton (Championship Playoff Semi Finals 8th/11th May)

Admin

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't really see the big problem with the tickets plan when there was uncertainty around fans being allowed in, protocols, etc as well as actually having a game to sell them for. 

Season ticket holders can get them over the next week and the club have already said people can phone so there's not going to be a big rush in one day. Meanwhile they're getting the protocols in place to make sure there's not going to be issues on the day, etc. We're among the first to have fans back so will be under a bit of scrutiny for that. 

There's a week until the public sale (which might turn out to be about 30 tickets) so there might be more details later when it gets clearer how many its for. All they've done is get the main things out the way first - criticism for that in the current circumstances is a bit ott when fans are getting back in for the first time in a year and plans were announced the morning after we knew we'd be playing. 

27 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Don't really see the big problem with the tickets plan when there was uncertainty around fans being allowed in, protocols, etc as well as actually having a game to sell them for. 

Season ticket holders can get them over the next week and the club have already said people can phone so there's not going to be a big rush in one day. Meanwhile they're getting the protocols in place to make sure there's not going to be issues on the day, etc. We're among the first to have fans back so will be under a bit of scrutiny for that. 

There's a week until the public sale (which might turn out to be about 30 tickets) so there might be more details later when it gets clearer how many its for. All they've done is get the main things out the way first - criticism for that in the current circumstances is a bit ott when fans are getting back in for the first time in a year and plans were announced the morning after we knew we'd be playing. 

The reason you have a professional staff isn't to react to situations, which anyone can do, but to anticipate them and build in contingencies where required. You don't want to overdo it, obviously, but when it's your main source of income (ticket sales) and your main customer base (fans who go to games) affected by it, it's absolutely insufficient to just muddle through it. It's this willingness to accept the tuck shop methods of Morton that have led to the Raes' debt of 2.8m, some of which the fans paid off.

Compare and contrast to Dundee, who already have a ballot plan in place in the event that they reach the final. That's how you take this stuff seriously.

When MCT take over in a few weeks they need to be clear-eyed about this stuff, none of the ticketing arrangements are anywhere near good enough and it's the willingness of people to make excuses for the club that makes it impossible to improve it.

With that said I'm sure they are taking the actual protocols of attendance seriously.

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

The reason you have a professional staff isn't to react to situations, which anyone can do, but to anticipate them and build in contingencies where required. You don't want to overdo it, obviously, but when it's your main source of income (ticket sales) and your main customer base (fans who go to games) affected by it, it's absolutely insufficient to just muddle through it. It's this willingness to accept the tuck shop methods of Morton that have led to the Raes' debt of 2.8m, some of which the fans paid off.

Compare and contrast to Dundee, who already have a ballot plan in place in the event that they reach the final. That's how you take this stuff seriously.

When MCT take over in a few weeks they need to be clear-eyed about this stuff, none of the ticketing arrangements are anywhere near good enough and it's the willingness of people to make excuses for the club that makes it impossible to improve it.

With that said I'm sure they are taking the actual protocols of attendance seriously.

I don't think it is just muddling through it in this case though.

They've obviously done work to make sure 500 can be accommodated and we're not going to get bother with how that works (I'm sure there will be checks made as it's one of the first games with fans this season).

They'll know its likely about 95% of the tickets will go to season ticket holders and those with season tickets have a week to get them either in person or over the phone so not too many issues there. That just leaves a handful of tickets and a week to refine how to sell them when it's confirmed how many will be available (I get they've given some details). 

I'm not saying it's perfect but I don't think it's farcical or whatever some of the descriptions being used were either. If anything it's an improvement from what we're used to - a quick announcement, questions answered right away and taking advantage of having fans in when it's a recent change (I wouldn't always have had confidence that we could have managed this without issues but it seems it's in hand here). 

Basically there's been too much done too quickly to suggest there's not been any forward planning and it's all reaction. The only slight issue being the handful of tickets left over but they have a week to sort it and it's not against guidance to have a queue for something outdoors anyway - there's been worse at Primark. 

Edit to add - Dundee are a bit different since presumably they have a lot more season tickets than tickets available for the game. We're about 20 odd under. 

Only issue I had with the process was the buying in person but since that  was clarified 2 mins after they posted, really don't see a problem with the process they have in place. Canny please everyone I guess...

9 hours ago, irnbru said:

Edit to add - Dundee are a bit different since presumably they have a lot more season tickets than tickets available for the game. We're about 20 odd under. 

The demand for the public sale is going to well outweigh the supply for ours, so the only difference here is that Dundee are able to make proper plans.

The simple facts are that it's the year 2021 and Morton are still stuck at expecting people to queue up at 9am on a weekday morning to buy tickets. It's really, really not a hard thing to do especially when you have a club website, online store and an online ticketing facility, as poor as it may be. Whilst acknowledging this isn't necessarily the worst thing the club has done, it's still yet another display of a sub-par delivery that's inconveniencing people for no good reason, as below:

14 hours ago, GiGi said:

But miles better than the hassle of turning up at Cappielow at half 8 in the morning, waiting in a queue for 40-50 minutes then being told there's no tickets. That would be a huge waste of a lot of people's time.

Also, I'm not really going to dole out too many plaudits for them having a plan to get the minimum number of people in to be honest. What else were they going to do, just shrug and say "aw, fuck it, we'll just not bother?" It might be tricky, but that's just how it is for everyone, they're not an exception: they have an obligation to make the ground safe.  None of this is entirely unexpected, there's always been the possibility of fans being allowed back in at some point so it's not something that was just been sprung upon them when McGuffie's goal went in. It's the bare minimum asked of them.

We're well beyond the stage of offering Morton the benefit of the doubt for anything or just shrugging of some half-arsed approach, it's a professional business and it's about time that it acted like it and that it's customers expected it to act like it. The only reason going for the T In The Park ticket sale at Groove Records in 2001 approach seems passable is because nobody expects anything more organised or thoughtful.

AWMSC

Fair comments, and correct regarding embracing the technological age. However this is MCT’s first crack at it and they still have the Raes in their hair (and possible sticking their “wee wobbly table under leaky cowshed roof” ideology oar into it). I’m sure they can’t wait to finally be free of “yer da’s” guiding hand over them and being able to display to us that they are capable at managing a modern football club. Thanks Crawford for your family’s contribution over the years, but please step aside completely now and let MCT get on with the job.

MCT don't own the club yet but they should certainly be taking notes. This is just about the only circumstance in which the club's current, shan online ticketing setup could be worthwhile, and it is unsurprisingly dinghied. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

MCT don't own the club yet but they should certainly be taking notes. This is just about the only circumstance in which the club's current, shan online ticketing setup could be worthwhile, and it is unsurprisingly dinghied. 

Seems to be more interaction better the club, slo, social media, etc now with things being sorted more quickly. 

Not perfect but better than what we've had so hopefully that's in some part down to the influence of the two MCT members in the board.

Day off work and down in plenty of time to get near the front of the queue. About 11.45 we were told that they would get going soon as they were starting to print the tickets...what??? Why weren't the tickets already printed? 10 mins later we were told that there was a problem printing the tickets, so just pay for them and they'll be sent out to you as soon as possible.

I could've phoned from home to do that or done it online.

The happy clappers will be along in a minute to explain how difficult it is to foresee that tickets needed to be printed onto paper. That's such a black swan event, normally they just materialize out of thin air.

This is like at the start of the season when they didn't bother testing their live stream and just assumed it was going to work. Yeah, they eventually recovered and now they have a live stream product to be proud of. But why not just get it right the first time? Why not just do things properly? I believe this is in large part because they know they can say "fuck it, that'll do" and still get a gold star for it. If half-assed work is what's expected and encouraged then half-assed work is what you'll get.

If MCT are to have a hope of turning this tuck shop into a profit-making enterprise they need to change that mindset immediately.

EOho8Pw.png

20 minutes ago, centralTON said:

Day off work and down in plenty of time to get near the front of the queue. About 11.45 we were told that they would get going soon as they were starting to print the tickets...what??? Why weren't the tickets already printed? 10 mins later we were told that there was a problem printing the tickets, so just pay for them and they'll be sent out to you as soon as possible.

I could've phoned from home to do that or done it online.

That would be funny if it wasn't so damn predictable. 

Archived