Match Preview/Thread - Montrose vs Morton (Championship Playoff Semi Finals 8th/11th May) - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Montrose vs Morton (Championship Playoff Semi Finals 8th/11th May)

Admin

The starting line up was ridiculous, and bringing on Muirhead and Blues was also the wrong move. Cannot believe that cretin Mcpherson left Lyon and Colville on the bench. Mcginn and Jacobs shouldn’t be on the pitch at the same time, and Jacobs is not actually a good player - might win the ball but every pass goes to an opponent, and that effort on goal was pitiful.

We need to win on Tuesday and to do that we need to have an attacking line up. Two up front works best, even though that’s a bit like being the world’s tallest dwarf, and we need 3 of our 4 midfielders to be attack-minded. I’ll cut Fjortoft some slack this week. We should not have Easdale or Blues in the squad. Nesbitt might work but he is lacking an end product and his shooting is pathetic. I’d bin Mcpherson tonight cos he’s made things worse. Millar could sort it out better than him.

Just for once, Morton, exceed our expectations. Please.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was really annoyed by today's performance. However, after a few drinks -

None of us support Morton for their success, well nobody under 40. The fans are taking over, there will be a new team on and off the pitch. Its time for optimism regardless of division

3 hours ago, so72 said:

I was really annoyed by today's performance. However, after a few drinks -

None of us support Morton for their success, well nobody under 40. The fans are taking over, there will be a new team on and off the pitch. Its time for optimism regardless of division

If we're in the Championship then McPherson will be rewarded for his stunning 'success' against the odds from here, and that would be disastrous.

There is an excellent opportunity for a complete fresh start this summer but it requires taking our medicine for stinking the division out this season. We clearly don't deserve to be there and need to rip it all up and start again. 

My chief concern at the moment is that short-termism is going to dominate - trying to return to the second tier above all else - when we are in need of a long, serious rebuild from top to bottom. If that takes a few years to carry out and see the effects then it takes a few years. We either commit to that challenge now or second tier mediocrity will become a permanent ceiling on our ambition. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

23 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Crawford will be delighted with that result.

Last thing he would want is us reaching to final and 500 Morton fans getting back into Cappielow while he is still there.

Is he even still going to the games?

EOho8Pw.png

12 hours ago, vikingTON said:

If we're in the Championship then McPherson will be rewarded for his stunning 'success' against the odds from here, and that would be disastrous.

There is an excellent opportunity for a complete fresh start this summer but it requires taking our medicine for stinking the division out this season. We clearly don't deserve to be there and need to rip it all up and start again. 

My chief concern at the moment is that short-termism is going to dominate - trying to return to the second tier above all else - when we are in need of a long, serious rebuild from top to bottom. If that takes a few years to carry out and see the effects then it takes a few years. We either commit to that challenge now or second tier mediocrity will become a permanent ceiling on our ambition. 

Yeah any optimism would be gone if we keep that clown in charge or appoint any of the other finished dinosaurs from the merry-go-round. Completely agree with you, this is a golden opportunity to actually rebuild the club and, hopefully, have a better long term future. If that means a few years of visiting the seaside then so be it. 

48 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Anybody that thinks this club can somehow survive a few years in the third tier and re-emerge as a serious Championship club is kidding themselves on.

It's got nothing to do with 'surviving', it's about building a fundamentally different business model for the club that is fit for purpose. The club needs to develop to become viable in its own right: with more sources of revenue than prize money for league places and gate receipts alone. 'We need to be in the Championship or else we'll die' is Rae-level planning, with all the short-term crap decisions that took us down to path to where we are now. 

That's the task that needs to be undertaken right now and there's absolutely nothing about being in a lower tier that prevents MCT and ourselves as the ultimate owners from making those changes. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

It's got nothing to do with 'surviving', it's about building a fundamentally different business model for the club that is fit for purpose. The club needs to develop to become viable in its own right: with more sources of revenue than prize money for league places and gate receipts alone. 'We need to be in the Championship or else we'll die' is Rae-level planning, with all the short-term crap decisions that took us down to path to where we are now. 

That's the task that needs to be undertaken right now and there's absolutely nothing about being in a lower tier that prevents MCT and ourselves as the ultimate owners from making those changes. 

What you keep ignoring in these discussions is that trying to manage that transition to being a viable club over several years in the third tier rather than the second means that you're building a fundamentally smaller football club with less potential to ever grow back into being an established second tier side.

It's also curious that you weren't making this "relegation is objectively a good thing for the club and preferable to staying in the Championship" argument a month ago when you thought we were still on course to limp into 7th or 8th, dismissing anyone saying that our form made us favourites for 9th.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

24 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

What you keep ignoring in these discussions is that trying to manage that transition to being a viable club over several years in the third tier rather than the second means that you're building a fundamentally smaller football club with less potential to ever grow back into being an established second tier side.

No you're not. Revenue from prize money and gate receipts has done nothing - absolutely nothing - to grow the club in the past twenty years. All of it and a hell of a lot more went straight out the door on 17 managers and God-knows how many jobber squads, all to gain/preserve access to money that gets immediately squandered anyway. There was and is no logic to this circular argument whatsoever. 

The club urgently needs to develop other streams of revenue and better business practices across the board. That requires capital investment not high levels of turnover and there is absolutely nothing to stop MCT in partnership with the fans bringing that about, no matter what division we're playing in. That is an objective fact. 

"It's also curious that you weren't making this "relegation is objectively a good thing for the club and preferable to staying in the Championship" argument a month ago when you thought we were still on course to limp into 7th or 8th, dismissing anyone saying that our form made us favourites for 9th."

That's because if we finished 7th in the league then we'd already be well into the process of working towards next season right now. Instead, under your desired scenario, we spend three extra weeks gormlessly waiting around while every single one of our immediate competitors gets on with that task, before we can undertake the total overhaul required behind the scenes and only then play catch-up in building a Championship standard squad with no greater resources than the competition.

Your failure to account for the fact that time is a critically limited resource is really not my problem. 

NB: If playing in a lower division magically led to a smaller club with less ability to re-establish itself, then Saint Johnstone would still be the basketcase in the bottom tier of Scottish football that they were in the mid-1980s rather than double cup finalists this season.

The obsession with second tier prize money is completely ridiculous, and also undercuts the entire premise of fan ownership. If league placing determines the potential size of the club then why get rid of the Raes at all? Nothing can be fundamentally changed. 

'We need to get away from short-term thinking' versus 'getting relegated and spending years in the third tier is worthwhile because of a three week disadvantage in recruitment'

Pick one.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

A three week disadvantage - on top of the rest of the disruption afterwards - makes relegation from next season's Championship a racing certainty. Which MCT will carry the can for with huge fan disillusionment.

Which then leads to a certain, unstoppable death spiral of the club, deprived of the precious life blood of the 'prize money!!!!111!!!' in your gubbins thesis, in which We Cannot Ever Be Relegated. 

So yes, the short term, nonsense argument is to desperately try and circle the drain, rather than clear house entirely.

If we spend multiple years in the third tier, which is a distinct possibility, I’m pretty sure fans would grow disillusioned as well. I’m also pretty sure MCT would welcome the challenge of doing what they were going to do anyway, 3 weeks behind schedule, if it avoided the possibility of us becoming marooned in the third tier of Scottish Football. There’s no reason we can’t restructure and keep our heads above water in the Championship.

We’re going down anyway, it’s a pointless debate, but I worry much more for our future than I would have had we remained in the league. 

Archived