2020-21 Championship playoffs - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

2020-21 Championship playoffs

TRVMP

Bit off topic and I know its been discussed elsewhere on here in the past, BUT looking into the Championship playoffs set-up and it really does irk just how much of a disgrace the Premiership playoffs set-up is.

And the SPL clubs wonder why they are disliked so much by the rest of us, self serving wankers. 

On the playoffs generally though, I also don't see how 4th in a 10-team league is worthy of a playoff place anyway? 4th is effectively mid-table.

Surely it should be the 2nd & 3rd placed teams in the lower divison and the 2nd & 3rd bottom teams in the higher division, that qualify for playoffs across the leagues?  

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, JLTON said:

Bit off topic and I know its been discussed elsewhere on here in the past, BUT looking into the Championship playoffs set-up and it really does irk just how much of a disgrace the Premiership playoffs set-up is.

And the SPL clubs wonder why they are disliked so much by the rest of us, self serving wankers. 

On the playoffs generally though, I also don't see how 4th in a 10-team league is worthy of a playoff place anyway? 4th is effectively mid-table.

Surely it should be the 2nd & 3rd placed teams in the lower divison and the 2nd & 3rd bottom teams in the higher division, that qualify for playoffs across the leagues?  

Aye! To this day it still grates on me that we finished way out in 2nd place in 2006 and lost out on promotion to Partick Thistle way back in 4th place.  That was criminal.

here today, gone to hell

To me, given its a ten team league, 2nd bottom v 2nd top over two legs would be ample.

To add, as others pointed out before Friday, we always managed to escape the relegation play offs before then and as it turned out our luck deserted us on this occasion.

We've always managed to make a Baws of things in the promotion play offs, so maybe it's our turn this time.

As much as I say that, I doubt it, the straws have been firmly clutched.

I've accepted relegation to be honest. Anything else is a bonus.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

30 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

We were always going to go down sooner rather than later. We might actually have a better chance of staying up next season if we do survive, with Hopkin in charge of Ayr from the start and Arbroath still being there, but Falkirk aren’t likely to be a shit show forever, and you’d imagine Cove and Queen’s Park, in spite of being currently managed by morons will eventually take their place above us in the pecking order.

We’re probably looking at a similar spell out of this league as we had a couple of decades ago, but I certainly wouldn’t expect that when we do make it back we’ll become such an established second tier club.

I’d go as far as to say we’re more likely to see Morton playing non-league football than Premiership football in our lifetimes.

3 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

I'm not going to repost everything from P and B here - not least because you can't bloody multi quote within posts - but I don't view league survival as a bonus.

The most likely outcome of a play-off win and takeover is that the new regime will have just seven weeks before the season starts to get going and so will give McPherson another year to keep the first team ticking over while working through everything else that needs doing. We'll be miles behind the rest of the league in squadbuilding regardless and MCT will then be responsible for having set up another turgid dross relegation battle next season. This would fatally undermine the subscription model that the business plan requires and leave us in the same boat as we were before - relying on prize money and with little buy-in from elsewhere to progress.

Now is in fact the best time to start with a clean slate and take several years to rebuild the club, a task that cannot be done while staying in the second tier. The long-term future of the club requires this rebuild instead of a short-sighted fixation on league status and the prize money that comes with it. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

14 hours ago, vikingTON said:

I'm not going to repost everything from P and B here - not least because you can't bloody multi quote within posts - but I don't view league survival as a bonus.

The most likely outcome of a play-off win and takeover is that the new regime will have just seven weeks before the season starts to get going and so will give McPherson another year to keep the first team ticking over while working through everything else that needs doing. We'll be miles behind the rest of the league in squadbuilding regardless and MCT will then be responsible for having set up another turgid dross relegation battle next season. This would fatally undermine the subscription model that the business plan requires and leave us in the same boat as we were before - relying on prize money and with little buy-in from elsewhere to progress.

Now is in fact the best time to start with a clean slate and take several years to rebuild the club, a task that cannot be done while staying in the second tier. The long-term future of the club requires this rebuild instead of a short-sighted fixation on league status and the prize money that comes with it. 

Without retreading everything we've said on P&B, this is a point we didn't touch on.

How is this not an issue if we lose in the playoffs? We've got the exact same time to the start of the season either way. There's the same choice of losing a further 2-3 weeks of time on recruiting a new manager which leaves us behind on squad building, or MCT panicking and keeping MacPherson in the job anyway because of time constraints.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

50 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

Without retreading everything we've said on P&B, this is a point we didn't touch on.

How is this not an issue if we lose in the playoffs? We've got the exact same time to the start of the season either way. There's the same choice of losing a further 2-3 weeks of time on recruiting a new manager which leaves us behind on squad building, or MCT panicking and keeping MacPherson in the job anyway because of time constraints.

Not if we lose in the semi-final - that's an extra week right there - and unlike in the Championship, at least two other League One clubs will be in the same boat. 

Finishing 9th in the Championship sets up a mug's game in terms of preparation for another second tier campaign in any season. It is beyond stupid to treat survival as anything more than a temporary stay of execution, when you also have to change the club from top to bottom in the close season. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

22 hours ago, vikingTON said:

7 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

6 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Not if we lose in the semi-final - that's an extra week right there - and unlike in the Championship, at least two other League One clubs will be in the same boat. 

Finishing 9th in the Championship sets up a mug's game in terms of preparation for another second tier campaign in any season. It is beyond stupid to treat survival as anything more than a temporary stay of execution, when you also have to change the club from top to bottom in the close season. 

Couple of points on this subject. All of the above concerns will be with us no matter what league we end up in. Surely it's better to be in the league that attracts more revenue coming to Morton no matter what position we are in both on and off the park? You have to start making improvements at some point no matter the league you're in and I would be really surprised if MCT haven't got all their ducks in a row and ready to hit the ground running as soon as the deal is signed. If not what have they been doing for the last year?   

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

1 hour ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

Couple of points on this subject. All of the above concerns will be with us no matter what league we end up in.

You clearly haven't actually read the posts you've quoted because I've quite clearly set out why the problem is more significant in the Championship. Every single team from 5th downwards is already working on their team for next season, as are Partick.

Only Morton/whoever else wins the play-offs cannot do this until they are completed. And then we need to empty a regime, find a chief executive etc. before turning our attention to the first team. 

"Surely it's better to be in the league that attracts more revenue coming to Morton no matter what position we are in both on and off the park?"

Not if the revenue confers no advantage, given that the rest of the league also has access to it and isn't putting their backroom staff and first team together on the back of a fag packet at the end of June. 

"You have to start making improvements at some point no matter the league you're in and I would be really surprised if MCT haven't got all their ducks in a row and ready to hit the ground running as soon as the deal is signed. If not what have they been doing for the last year?"

Erm there has been absolutely zero guarantee of a deal for the last year: both of the dung options put forward just a few months ago were decisively rejected. Since then we've had yet another change of first team management, so who knows what ideas will still be valid?

This is not an 'improvement' project - this is a fundamental rebuild job and you are not going to get that done and put a competitive team together in a single close season. This is wishful thinking nonsense that will in all likelihood produce a 2013/14 style disaster in Year 1 of our brave new future. 

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

You clearly haven't actually read the posts you've quoted because I've quite clearly set out why the problem is more significant in the Championship. Every single team from 5th downwards is already working on their team for next season, as are Partick.

Only Morton/whoever else wins the play-offs cannot do this until they are completed. And then we need to empty a regime, find a chief executive etc. before turning our attention to the first team. 

"Surely it's better to be in the league that attracts more revenue coming to Morton no matter what position we are in both on and off the park?"

Not if the revenue confers no advantage, given that the rest of the league also has access to it and isn't putting their backroom staff and first team together on the back of a fag packet at the end of June. 

"You have to start making improvements at some point no matter the league you're in and I would be really surprised if MCT haven't got all their ducks in a row and ready to hit the ground running as soon as the deal is signed. If not what have they been doing for the last year?"

Erm there has been absolutely zero guarantee of a deal for the last year: both of the dung options put forward just a few months ago were decisively rejected. Since then we've had yet another change of first team management, so who knows what ideas will still be valid?

This is not an 'improvement' project - this is a fundamental rebuild job and you are not going to get that done and put a competitive team together in a single close season. This is wishful thinking nonsense that will in all likelihood produce a 2013/14 style disaster in Year 1 of our brave new future. 

Seems to me that there is an advantage in staying up.  Income might be slightly better if we have crowds back; prize money is greater.  If we struggle and end up in the third tier, we are no worse off than we would have been if we went down this season and took several years to get back up.  If MCT haven't been planning for the takeover but are sitting on their hands doing nothing, then they really shouldn't be in the positions they hold within the organisation. We need to have someone in mind to build the squad, retaining I think probably no more than about 8 of the current squad, maybe 10 if Hynes and McGrattan are included and deemed worthy.  The MCT board should be speaking to possible candidates for manager (Mcpherson is the obvious easy choice but he's done nothing to merit consideration as far as I can see).  How we do next season will depend on how quickly we can get things moving. Prevarication will not he helpful.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

The MCT board should be speaking to possible candidates for manager (Mcpherson is the obvious easy choice but he's done nothing to merit consideration as far as I can see).  

I agree that an early decision on manager is a pre-requisite to almost everything else. As a matter of some interest who realistically is in the pool?

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

If we struggle and end up in the third tier, we are no worse off than we would have been if we went down this season and took several years to get back up.   

That's where you're wrong, because another season of utterly woeful football and a relegation struggle next season will be under MCT's watch in Year 1. So quickly ends the goodwill for the new regime as well as the continued subscriptions that the new business model actually needs throughout its transition period. The hit should be taken instead right now by those responsible for twenty years of accumulated dysfunction.

The idea that McPherson wins the play-offs and then MCT open up the managerial post to a fresh search anyway is far-fetched given the limited time available for them. If we survive then we'll have McPherson as a glorified caretaker next season as well, so right from the start the new regime will be making short-term compromises to preserve our precious second tier status that are not in the best long-term interests of the club.

Go down, pick the right people across the board, and do a full rebuild. Otherwise we will be back to square one soon enough. 

HT - Montrose 2-1 Partick and Falkirk still 0-0 at Airdrie.

An Airdrie win would see us play Montrose.

Edit - all draws now. Looks like we'll be playing Falkirk.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Holy f**k!

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Archived