2020-21 Championship playoffs - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

2020-21 Championship playoffs

TRVMP

11 hours ago, astuartm said:

Would not keep any of the three. Oliver has had two failed chances here and failed at QotS in between. We haven't had a decent forward this year and need to replace.

...is the correct answer

People seem to see something in Oliver, but to me, he's just an empty jersey who runs about a bit, with no end product whatsoever. I was disappointed we re-signed him and don't think he merits another deal.

We have to be ruthless. If your name isn't McAdams, Ledger, Fjørtoft or Jacobs, thank you for your "efforts" and collect your sketch of a chalk penis on the way out the door.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, RealTonKid said:

...is the correct answer

People seem to see something in Oliver, but to me, he's just an empty jersey who runs about a bit, with no end product whatsoever. I was disappointed we re-signed him and don't think he merits another deal.

We have to be ruthless. If your name isn't McAdams, Ledger, Fjørtoft or Jacobs, thank you for your "efforts" and collect your sketch of a chalk penis on the way out the door.

Would add Strapp and perhaps Lyon to that but can’t really make a serious case for keeping any of the unsigned players. Andy Ritchie made the point that Orsi looks as if he’s going to do something and always nearly does it but never makes it. This could apply to most if not all of our unsigned players. It’s obvious which ones should go without a pause, but even some of the better players only seem to offer some hope or potential that they’ll do something to change a match, but they never seem to quite do it. It’s sad to say but maybe we should let them all go and start with the basic handful of players mentioned.

Again, Strapp and Lyon are under contract, as are Easdale, McGrattan, Hynes, Wylie, and Garrity. Given the club's commitment to the youth system - which MCT is set to continue - they're not going anywhere unless they either ask to leave or someone comes in for them.

EOho8Pw.png

On 5/6/2021 at 6:08 PM, SpoonTon said:

I get that, and it's the reason why I'm slightly reluctant to keep  McGuffie and Colville as well as Oliver and Nesbitt in this scenario - and I think that's even more important if we avoid relegation. 

But I think there is actually significant risk in not finding enough better options than those. I'd retain those players because I think they'd be good for us for challenging in the top half of League One - it's those players who kept us competitive at the lower end of the league this year. We're not a complete disaster of a Championship team - we have clear weaknesses which need addressed. 

The key will be bringing in strikers who can score, defenders who can compliment what we already have, and a midfielder/winger or two who can be a bit more direct. 

Would you like to revise your appraisal of the situation at Cappielow in light of what you've just gleaned?

EOho8Pw.png

8 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Would you like to revise your appraisal of the situation at Cappielow in light of what you've just gleaned?

I'm certainly far less convinced by Fjortoft. I didn't think we were in any massive danger until he started flopping all over the place. 

Otherwise, not really. 

McGuffie did virtually nothing, which was at least better than Nesbitt's contribution of overhitting passes and running it out of play. Oliver took his goal well and got a couple of flick-ons but otherwise looked completely lost with the ball at his feet. The idea that if they just have a number 9 next to them they'll come good is a gamble with very limited upside. Who's to say they won't just continue to be ineffective?

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

McGuffie did virtually nothing, which was at least better than Nesbitt's contribution of overhitting passes and running it out of play. Oliver took his goal well and got a couple of flick-ons but otherwise looked completely lost with the ball at his feet. The idea that if they just have a number 9 next to them they'll come good is a gamble with very limited upside. Who's to say they won't just continue to be ineffective?

Nothing about the performances of those three today surprised me or made me change my opinion on their abilities. 

Archived