Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (Championship 30th April) - Page 11 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (Championship 30th April)

Admin

12 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

McGinn has been decent, ICT game apart. He seems a bit done, and I suspect that's part of the problem, but certainly isn't the worst. Playing them both would be fine if we had attacking full backs (Strapp would have helped slightly), or decent strikers, or more commanding attacking mids and wingers, but we don't. We got nothing in an attacking sense from the full backs, very little Colville, McGuffie, and Nesbitt who should've had a bit of freedom to attack, some decent play from Oliver but nothing much at all if he was meant to be a striker. 

To be fair, Jacobs picked up an injury and was going to be out for a couple of weeks. My understanding was that off the back of this that prompted Gus to look for a favour and was offered McGinn. 

The final third is clearly the biggest issue. I agree with that absolutely. The players in that lineup tonight are never going to get enough goals. I hope that Gus tried to do something there, but obviously that's the big issue and I think he does (and did) know that. 

But who did ICT sign around the same time.... another player we all know but in the right area of the park!!!! So much for Gus connections!!!!!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As others have pointed out, I have not qualm with signing Mcginn as a player. He is one of our better  players. But playing him and Jacobs is the issue. 

Have to say, Colvile made little or not impact.... 

I would simply be starting Lyon in every game now. 

And thank fk Strapp will be too. 

This time last year, Rae, MacKinnon and Hopkin all sat with their fingers up their arses, while other clubs were still working away behind the scenes. After McPake and McAlister left, the ship began to list. Reactive decisions by the club have left us where we now find ourselves.

Broken record at this point, but to assemble a squad that large (outside whatever our budget was) and for it to be so, so poor is just madness. 

Butler, McGinty, Orsi, Salkeld, Johnson, Sterling, Muirhead, Blues, Omar & Wallace. Dud after dud. Obviously you get hits and misses at this level, but that is shocking. 

I don’t have anything against those players as individuals (Butler, Wallace & Johnson I can’t even comment on) but they have no business being at this level and it’s frankly pretty disgraceful all of them were looked at and signed up.  

There's been this line throughout the year, especially the last few weeks and I've ignored it, that maybe we weren't actually this bad.

There's the been the constant talk, McInally-esque, that we're good hard working boys, can't fault the effort and commitment - the absolute bollocks the cretin MacPherson came out with tonight - and it's fucking embarrassing. We are actually this fucking bad. You're either good enough to win football games or you're not. They're not and MacPherson's insistence that it's fine as he takes down is the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.

The clueless cunt will go and appeal that fucking idiot McGinty's red card.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

It was a clear and obvious red, and I thought so before I saw the replay on Twitter from the other side. If we appeal it, the costs better come out of Gus' own pocket. 

EOho8Pw.png

Slept on it after last night and still absolutely fuming. Sack McPherson and let Chris Millar take the team for the playoffs. He can't do any worse and we might actually put  a shot in target.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I shall miss his suicidal headless chicken style of leadership and his highly prized defensive qualities for the next few games.

After that his name will be struck from my memory along with another 2 management imposters, la famille Rae and the phrase short leet.

That was horrendous. Poor team selection to start with, and we should have had 2 up front to give us a chance of scoring. Leaving Strapp on the bench, and Lyon, is idiocy. McGinty jight be decent in the air but he can't even hoof the ball without it going out of play or straight to an opponent. Oliver is not a lone striker but other than Nesbitt, there is nobody that can really play as a striker alongside Oliver.

I would keep Strapp, Lyon & Colville from that squad, plus Macadams and Fjortoft. Maybe Ledger. Maybe Hynes although not seen enough to tell if he has a future or if his one motm was a fluke. Oliver & Nesbitt are ptobably worth having in the squad but only if we have the right players to complement them, like actual strikers. The rest can go as they are not nearly good enough. That would mean a clear out of in excess of 50% which is clearly necessary.

We may still survive the playoffs but the stupid team selections need to stop now. We need to put an attacking team on the pitch and that would not involve Orsi or Muirhead. Oh, and wtf is Easdale even in the squad? Is there a not so hidden agenda there?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

12 hours ago, TheGoon said:

I get the point of a rebuild being more difficult at this level but more than 1 season at League 1 level could be curtains/Clyde. 

Yeah, this is it. We're not coming back from this relegation; we're more likely to be in the Lowland League than the Championship in five years.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

14 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

Yeah, this is it. We're not coming back from this relegation; we're more likely to be in the Lowland League than the Championship in five years.

Utter drivel. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

35 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

I can understand the disappointment and frustration but this seems a tad over dramatic. Relegation is something we've all experienced and some have been more painful than others, but there's no reason to believe that we can't turn it around if we get the basics right. 

We've all been crying out for a change of ownership for years and now when it looks likely to come true I'm looking forward to the challenge, irrespective of the division.

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

That was horrendous. Poor team selection to start with, and we should have had 2 up front to give us a chance of scoring. Leaving Strapp on the bench, and Lyon, is idiocy. McGinty jight be decent in the air but he can't even hoof the ball without it going out of play or straight to an opponent. Oliver is not a lone striker but other than Nesbitt, there is nobody that can really play as a striker alongside Oliver.

I disagree about the two up front criticism. The important thing for a large part of the game last night was to *not lose* because Ayr were actually behind at Inverness. If Inverness had made it 2-0 or 3-1 and stuck a fork in that game then we'd look pretty foolish if we 'went for the win', got picked off on the break and lost 2 or 3-0. We were in reasonable control of the game in the first hour and I don't see how we would have done better with Muirhead or Orsi up front and one fewer midfielder.

With the situation changing we did then need to push for a goal at all costs in the last half hour, which is why McGinty's latest braindead intervention killed us off. We would have been more effective with Strapp rather than McGinty at full-back in every part of our play; that was a no-brainer which is why McPherson should be shown the door. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

League One could well be a stinker of a league next season with the worst case scenario of Morton +Falkirk with Queen's Park and Cove splashing the cash around.

It's not unfeasible for us to spend a couple of years down there.

The idea that McGinn has been even close to one of the main factors in this shite is absurd, he’s barely a footnote.

MacAdams taking around a minute to take a by-kick around the 80th minute last night just about summed the season up, we shouldn’t be indulging this “good bunch of boys” pish. There’s a difference between running about a bit and genuine heart and desire, and the squad is devoid of the latter; for all he’s been inconsistent over the season, Nesbitt is about the only player who sets about games as if his aim is to try to win, even if it might not always come to anything.

A midfield trio of McGinn/Jacobs, Lyon and Colville really should be capable of being a more than competent force in this league, whilst Nesbitt, Oliver and McGuffie should surely be muster-able into an attacking line that can at least harry and press well and force chances through errors etc even if it still wouldn’t exactly be free-scoring given we have nothing resembling a credible striker. It’s a shambles of a squad but a succession of managers have contrived to exacerbate the situation further and it seems quite a fitting end to the league campaign to have that clown McGinty hammering in the final nail with his trademark stupidity. At least a slightly premature end to his Morton career was a minor reward, cementing his status as one of the mostly thoroughly unlikeable and catastrophically bad chancers to disgrace the jersey in some time.

We’ve got exactly what we’ve deserved this season, and following on from last year (and beyond) too. We can have no complaints, and we should not for a minute forgive or forget that this has all been a direct result of the neglect and sabotage of the club’s owners.

AWMSC

10 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

The idea that McGinn has been even close to one of the main factors in this shite is absurd, he’s barely a footnote.

MacAdams taking around a minute to take a by-kick around the 80th minute last night just about summed the season up, we shouldn’t be indulging this “good bunch of boys” pish. There’s a difference between running about a bit and genuine heart and desire, and the squad is devoid of the latter; for all he’s been inconsistent over the season, Nesbitt is about the only player who sets about games as if his aim is to try to win, even if it might not always come to anything.

A midfield trio of McGinn/Jacobs, Lyon and Colville really should be capable of being a more than competent force in this league, whilst Nesbitt, Oliver and McGuffie should surely be muster-able into an attacking line that can at least harry and press well and force chances through errors etc even if it still wouldn’t exactly be free-scoring given we have nothing resembling a credible striker. It’s a shambles of a squad but a succession of managers have contrived to exacerbate the situation further and it seems quite a fitting end to the league campaign to have that clown McGinty hammering in the final nail with his trademark stupidity. At least a slightly premature end to his Morton career was a minor reward, cementing his status as one of the mostly thoroughly unlikeable and catastrophically bad chancers to disgrace the jersey in some time.

We’ve got exactly what we’ve deserved this season, and following on from last year (and beyond) too. We can have no complaints, and we should not for a minute forgive or forget that this has all been a direct result of the neglect and sabotage of the club’s owners.

The bit in bold.  This is exactly the way I feel about it.  

If we go down I won't feel disheartened by it, it will be well deserved and it will be the fault of Crawford Rae and David Hopkin.   One for irresponsible and neglectful ownership, and the other for signing a squadful of absolute shite who weren't up to the task.

I am very glad that I haven't contributed anything to MCT, otherwise I would feel cheated.

*insert signature here*

In the same line of thinking. Hasn’t just been one blip of a season, we’ve been slowly working our way towards this and the utter incompetency from above deserves relegation. The owners do not deserve to go out on any sort of “high” 

35 minutes ago, capitanus said:

The bit in bold.  This is exactly the way I feel about it.  

If we go down I won't feel disheartened by it, it will be well deserved and it will be the fault of Crawford Rae and David Hopkin.   One for irresponsible and neglectful ownership, and the other for signing a squadful of absolute shite who weren't up to the task.

I am very glad that I haven't contributed anything to MCT, otherwise I would feel cheated.

Agree with all of this apart from the last line. The 'chip in money for a proper squad' angle of MCT certainly hasn't worked, in no small part due to the once-doyen of the forum 'Hoppy' handing it over to his pet ringers, but what has come out of this instead is a viable plan to empty those chinless wonders from the club without risking administration and worse in the process. I would not have expected things to move anywhere near this quickly when the group was set up and it's not a moment before time.

Relegation as the final Rae family's legacy and the opportunity for a complete reset of twenty years of built-up dysfunction at the club is completely appropriate. The long-term future of the club is down to what the new regime - including the fans as genuine stakeholders - make of it. 

Archived