Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (Championship 30th April) - Page 10 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Arbroath vs Morton (Championship 30th April)

Admin

While it's absolutely fair to question the choices the manager is making, the squad isn't good enough. 

Hopkin signed so many forwards in the hope that one or two might come good, they haven't. Orsi and Muirhead are the remaining strikers, neither are good enough but without one of them we don't have players who will even look to get in the box and on the end of something. We're damned either way. That being said, trying both one week and neither the next is probably not the best approach. Bottom line is that it's Gus's job to find solutions to the problems of our squad and he's failed miserably, but those problems are pretty fundamental.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our approach to post Xmas has fkn done us.. 

I can get a really good pedigree midfielder.

Wonder what the board said to him at that point.

Rather than "fkn hell its Stephen Mcginn he is good"
It should have been "fkn hell, another centre midfielder. Have we not got 7 of them already? 

Signings have been left totally down to the 3 managers with no line of command or direction from the club

New, third manager with 8 games left. The board give him carte blanch to sign another midfielder.

Who the fkis on the board to say, wait a minute Gus, can you talk us the through this? We are using up a grant after having pissed away £100grand of supporters money in one of the most deprived areas in the UK, during a pandemic...

And we aren't really scoring goals.

What are your ideas about us scoring goals Gus?

And here wee are. 

Twice up at Gayfield not looking like scoring. 

Last 4 league games with 3 points and 2 goals. 

We look fkn clueless. 

Apparently radio Scotland were saying they doubted we could score in the play offs. 

Mibby point the blame at Hopkin or managers, but how about the directors... I think there are 5 of them plus an owner who have had zero input into the footballing side of the club this season and just accepting there are gid futbuh men who Ken whut thir daein! 

And here we are. 

In a potentially worse situation than 20 years ago. 

3 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Is McGinn costing us anything? I just kinda assumed that Ross was trying to do fun a favour by throwing Gus a player who wasn't going to get a game.  

McGinn is a good player and hasn't been terrible but he's not much different to Jacobs. We only need one player in that position in games we need to win. 

5 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Is McGinn costing us anything? I just kinda assumed that Ross was trying to do fun a favour by throwing Gus a player who wasn't going to get a game.  

I'd be surprised if McGinn ever kicked a ball again for Hibs. He has had zero impact since he arrived and for an experienced  PL midfielder he has only managed to look out of his depth at the arse end of the championship.

Another player surviving on past reputation.

1 minute ago, irnbru said:

McGinn isn't at fault. He's not going to influence games and get us goals. He's came in and we've been a bit more solid but it's the wrong player at the wrong time. 

I certainly won't lay the blame at his door but at one point during our 400th corner tonight, the ball broke to him about 35 yards out and he sclaffed it out to the corner flag, where we gave it up as the corner taker was offside. He couldn't put his foot on the ball? I'm not asking for fucking Pirlo here, just don't utterly waste it when you're 10 yards from the nearest player.

EOho8Pw.png

2 minutes ago, irnbru said:

McGinn isn't at fault. He's not going to influence games and get us goals. He's came in and we've been a bit more solid but it's the wrong player at the wrong time. 

If he's not going to influence games then what the fuck is he doing on the park.

44 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

While it's absolutely fair to question the choices the manager is making, the squad isn't good enough. 

Hopkin signed so many forwards in the hope that one or two might come good, they haven't. Orsi and Muirhead are the remaining strikers, neither are good enough but without one of them we don't have players who will even look to get in the box and on the end of something. We're damned either way. That being said, trying both one week and neither the next is probably not the best approach. Bottom line is that it's Gus's job to find solutions to the problems of our squad and he's failed miserably, but those problems are pretty fundamental.

I agree with what your saying but gus brought in a player in the exact same mold as a player we already had..  he should have looked at addressing the final third...not the back third of the side!! Jacobs hasn't let us down so to bring a player in with the same type of game just wasn't what was needed!!!!

1 minute ago, TaunTon said:

If he's not going to influence games then what the fuck is he doing on the park.

He's a guy that break play up and stops other teams. Same as Jacobs. 

In the last two game we needed one of the two. I'd have taken Jacobs but he was injured so I can see why McGinn was signed. I can't see why both played in games we need creativity. 

57 minutes ago, HamCam said:

You are correct - it was poorly phrased. I understand the underlying assumption was Championship football but MCT believe/hope they can sustain the club if relegated this season. Dropping a division is going to make life much harder for MCT.

Why would the underlying assumption be Championship football for a takeover proposal sent out last week? I've asked for evidence of this and all you're doing now is havering pish about what you 'understand' instead like some Keith Jackson wannabe.

Feel free to also explain why dropping a division is going to be much more difficult challenge for a business model that is actually based on some degree of fan buy-in over the short term, compared to yet another year of utterly turgid 'let's see if we can scrape 8th' nonsense from the start. That's the quickest route to sinking fan the project right there, regardless of whether there's some extra prize money available for circling the drain for one more year. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Just now, TRVMP said:

Makelele could play a 20-yard pass. So could Scott Bannerman. Again, it's not McGinn's fault we're going down, but he was poor tonight, doubly so if you consider his pedigree.

Aye that's true too but the shape and lack of ambition in the last few games cos us more than his performances, ability or decision making. 

Aimless long balls and wild tackles in places you don't need to challenge in cost us a lot more than him. 

7 minutes ago, irnbru said:

He's a 32 year old, who has played about 200 games in the top flight in Scotland, and 40 odd in the English Championship.

He should be ashamed at how badly out of his depth he's looked playing here. 32yo  years old should mean nothing for a player who's played at that level, yet he looks ready for turning out for the local junior side every Saturday after 13 pints down the local.

6 minutes ago, irnbru said:

McGinn is a good player and hasn't been terrible but he's not much different to Jacobs. We only need one player in that position in games we need to win. 

McGinn has been decent, ICT game apart. He seems a bit done, and I suspect that's part of the problem, but certainly isn't the worst. Playing them both would be fine if we had attacking full backs (Strapp would have helped slightly), or decent strikers, or more commanding attacking mids and wingers, but we don't. We got nothing in an attacking sense from the full backs, very little Colville, McGuffie, and Nesbitt who should've had a bit of freedom to attack, some decent play from Oliver but nothing much at all if he was meant to be a striker. 

2 minutes ago, Nornirontons said:

I agree with what your saying but gus brought in a player in the exact same mold as a player we already had..  he should have looked at addressing the final third...not the back third of the side!!

To be fair, Jacobs picked up an injury and was going to be out for a couple of weeks. My understanding was that off the back of this that prompted Gus to look for a favour and was offered McGinn. 

The final third is clearly the biggest issue. I agree with that absolutely. The players in that lineup tonight are never going to get enough goals. I hope that Gus tried to do something there, but obviously that's the big issue and I think he does (and did) know that. 

1 minute ago, Hej said:

He's a 32 year old, who has played about 200 games in the top flight in Scotland, and 40 odd in the English Championship.

He should be ashamed at how badly out of his depth he's looked playing here. 32yo  years old should mean nothing for a player who's played at that level, yet he looks ready for turning out for the local junior side every Saturday after 13 pints down the local.

He wasn't out his depth. His game.l has never been to drive forward or create - it's to stop the other team. We've not lost in 5.

The problem is we need to win so the manger should be picking a team that can. 

6 minutes ago, irnbru said:

He wasn't out his depth. His game.l has never been to drive forward or create - it's to stop the other team. We've not lost in 5.

Yes he was. In every game he played.

Next.

5 minutes ago, irnbru said:

To be fair, it's not the midfields' fault when your forward steps on the ball and falls over when played though on goal. 

It's not an easy job to try to find a combination of players in this squad who are going to be a winning team. 

I suspect most fans would pick Lyon and Strapp for McGinty and McGinn from tonight's team, but that's still a team without a number 9 that needed to win matches. For that you'd need Orsi falling over the ball or Muirhead shinning every first touch. 

Archived