Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Alloa (Championship 24th April) - Page 8 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Alloa (Championship 24th April)

Admin

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

I raised this - jokingly - as a conspiracy theory last week. This was when Easdale came on ahead of a more recognizable figure.

For what it's worth I don't think it's true. I think at this point they know their interests are best served by Morton's staying up. And I highly doubt there's anyone with a renewal clause that's about to activate, not after last time. I think Gus just likes the cut of the younger guys' jib.

At least I bloody well hope so.

I'm not claiming it's an open and shut case by any means. I wouldn't put it past the current ownership at all though to be penny-pinching with regards to appearance or other bonuses, when they a) wanted five or six players out the door in January and b) reckon that most of the squad could have been launched in the bin in a week's time with a win that they were (almost certainly) banking on today. 

The only interest that GC have is in making sure that they get 'their' money back, so if there's an effective deal in sight that gets them out of the club in the close season then I don't see why they'd give a toss about league results. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

I'm not claiming it's an open and shut case by any means. I wouldn't put it past the current ownership at all though to be penny-pinching with regards to appearance or other bonuses, when they a) wanted five or six players out the door in January and b) reckon that most of the squad could have been launched in the bin in a week's time with a win that they were (almost certainly) banking on today. 

The only interest that GC have is in making sure that they get 'their' money back, so if there's an effective deal in sight that gets them out of the club in the close season then I don't see why they'd give a toss about league results. 

The reason I don't think it likely is because I don't think they'd have bothered getting Gus McPherson in only to penny-pinch over appearance fees and the like.

Actually come to think of it, that's exactly the kind of idiotic thing they'd do.

EOho8Pw.png

Gave Gus the benefit of the doubt after bad decisions and subs in the first few games after a couple of decent performances but going back to them mistakes in a game like today should mean be doesn't keep the job. 

Need Colville or Lyon in the middle and no Orsi. 

Still scunnered with that today. I do have some sympathy with Gus being landed with that severely limited squad, but it does not excuse some of his decisions in recent weeks. Our lack of creativity outside of Nesbitt occasionally taking a man on is thoroughly depressing. McGinty is both still being picked, and still being allowed to perform his kamikaze runs out of defence which do much more harm than good. Orsi is not a footballer at this level in a million years - I cannot fault him (or anyone else’s) effort but he simply isn’t good enough to start. If he does so again on Friday I’m not even watching.

We deserve relegation. An absolute circus of a season, in a dreadful division we could’ve quite easily been further up had it not been for the board, and that war criminal Hopkin. 

Fuck the Raes, fuck Hopkin and fuck this season. Playoffs or not I’m done with it on Friday. I just want the police completely gutted. 

5 hours ago, Tubes said:

Holding out hope for Hoppy doing a Hoppy and we somehow get something up at Arbroath 🤞🏻

Hopkin taking Ayr down and Falkirk not coming up is about the only outcome that can come close to redeeming this season.

I know it's not really the done thing for club's own interviews, but we could really do with Gerry (and the Tele guy) questioning McPherson on his decisions today, to make such a monumental mess of such a big game really merits an explanation. It's absolutely baffling that a professional football manager would make those choices, how can any manager think taking Strapp off and leaving McGinty on is anywhere close to a good idea? 

I'm aware that this was the product of very desperate thinking, but during the last Ayr game at Cappielow I suggested (partly flippantly) in a group chat that we'd be as well bringing Andy Ritchie on to the coaching staff which in any reasonable circumstances would be a ridiculous proposition and still is, but fuckin hell...at least he's able to watch games and identify the problems and weaknesses which has been beyond and of the managers. Admittedly pretty much ever fan watching is able to see the same things, but how can the people getting paid to do the job keep making decisions that are so obviously wrong? Who can possibly think Cameron Blues* is a better option that Reece Lyon, or that Orsi is better than Oliver? We'd have been as well getting Ritchie involved, it couldn't have made things any worse, which is a really fuckin grim reality. 

*On him...how many offers did he actually get from the club? Signing him in the first place was a joke from his first minutes but to then be getting permanent contracts was just unbelievable. We talk about wasting money on the likes of King, Doolan, Johnson and a batch of others, but Blues still being here and Muirhead being given an extension at the turn of this year are as bad as any of them. It's absolutely unforgiveable for a club and managers who so often bleated about how skint they were to be using funds for the likes of them, and even more so when the money is coming from fans' pockets.

AWMSC

1 minute ago, RealTonKid said:

Ok Ice Cube :lol:

...either works! 

I’m pretty convinced Lyon & Strapp will be gone in the summer, so there’s nobody I’ve got much of a desire to cling onto other than maybe McAdams & Jacobs, Fjortoft at a push. McGuffie & Ledger I still can’t make my mind up on, the rest simply aren’t good enough.

McGuffie did nothing of note after signing last January and being *slightly less useless* than our League Two standard forward options this time round is not grounds for a new deal. The entire front end of the side should be shown the door without the slightest hesitation, they're not of the required standard and/or consistency. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

4 hours ago, TheGoon said:

Still scunnered with that today. I do have some sympathy with Gus being landed with that severely limited squad, but it does not excuse some of his decisions in recent weeks. Our lack of creativity outside of Nesbitt occasionally taking a man on is thoroughly depressing. McGinty is both still being picked, and still being allowed to perform his kamikaze runs out of defence which do much more harm than good. Orsi is not a footballer at this level in a million years - I cannot fault him (or anyone else’s) effort but he simply isn’t good enough to start. If he does so again on Friday I’m not even watching.

We deserve relegation. An absolute circus of a season, in a dreadful division we could’ve quite easily been further up had it not been for the board, and that war criminal Hopkin. 

Fuck the Raes, fuck Hopkin and fuck this season. Playoffs or not I’m done with it on Friday. I just want the police completely gutted. 

^^^^ Raoul Moat found.

*insert signature here*

4 hours ago, EanieMeany said:

Hopkin taking Ayr down and Falkirk not coming up is about the only outcome that can come close to redeeming this season.

I know it's not really the done thing for club's own interviews, but we could really do with Gerry (and the Tele guy) questioning McPherson on his decisions today, to make such a monumental mess of such a big game really merits an explanation. It's absolutely baffling that a professional football manager would make those choices, how can any manager think taking Strapp off and leaving McGinty on is anywhere close to a good idea? 

I'm aware that this was the product of very desperate thinking, but during the last Ayr game at Cappielow I suggested (partly flippantly) in a group chat that we'd be as well bringing Andy Ritchie on to the coaching staff which in any reasonable circumstances would be a ridiculous proposition and still is, but fuckin hell...at least he's able to watch games and identify the problems and weaknesses which has been beyond and of the managers. Admittedly pretty much ever fan watching is able to see the same things, but how can the people getting paid to do the job keep making decisions that are so obviously wrong? Who can possibly think Cameron Blues* is a better option that Reece Lyon, or that Orsi is better than Oliver? We'd have been as well getting Ritchie involved, it couldn't have made things any worse, which is a really fuckin grim reality. 

*On him...how many offers did he actually get from the club? Signing him in the first place was a joke from his first minutes but to then be getting permanent contracts was just unbelievable. We talk about wasting money on the likes of King, Doolan, Johnson and a batch of others, but Blues still being here and Muirhead being given an extension at the turn of this year are as bad as any of them. It's absolutely unforgiveable for a club and managers who so often bleated about how skint they were to be using funds for the likes of them, and even more so when the money is coming from fans' pockets.

This.

I've never known a Morton manager, and we've had a few over the years, to sign as much fifth rate shite as David "Hoppy" Hopkin.  Even looking back to Peter Cormack era, or Allan Evans, or Jim Duffy's reign, we have signed some dung but never anything as bad as Hoppy.

I think there was internal politics at play, Hopkin was trying to labour a point by signing such garbage.  I don't know the angle, but convinced he had an ulterior motive which backfired spectacularly.

Anyway, fuck him. 

*insert signature here*

Looking at some of those notable terrible relegated squads to see how the crock of shite assembled by Hopkin compares.

00/01 - Allan Evans & Ally Maxwell

[spoiler]

Matt Boswell, Ally Maxwell, Andy Carlin, Stuart Webster

Derek Anderson, Darren Davies, David MacGregor, Martin Naylor, David Murie, Kevin James, Parfait Medou-Otye, Robbie Raeside, Scott Paterson, Ross Robb

Stevie Aitken, Harry Curran, Andy Millen, Stuart MacDonald, Paul McDonald, Ross Matheson, Brian Kerr, Gary Broadfield, Andy Brownrigg, Kevin McDonald

Stephen Whalen, Garry Tweedie, Stephen McConalogue, Gavin Redmond

Possibly got some positions wrong because who the fuck are half these ringers? There are also a couple who only played once - Derek Wingate (centre back, only appearance 6-0 v Ayr) and Dale Beattie (fuck knows, also the 6-0 v Ayr)

[/spoiler]

01/02 - Peter Cormack and Dave McPherson

[spoiler]

Craig Coyle, Keith Ross

Dave MacGregor, Dave McPherson, Derek Collins, Stephen Frail, Paul McAneny, Stewart Greacen, Dylan Kerr, Michael Renwick, Ally McMillan

Scott Bannerman, Mel Bottiglieri, Sean Curran, John Gibson, Marco Maisano, Darren Kearney, Allan Moore, Jani Uotinen, Chris Aitken, Artur Correia, Martin Compston, David Carmichael, Charlie Mapes

Sean O'Connor, Warren Hawke, Alan Reid, Scott Miller, Paul Wright, Phil Cannie, Garry Tweedie, Gavin Redmond, Stuart Riddle

[/spoiler]

13/14 - Allan Moore and Kenny Shiels

[spoiler]

Nico Caraux, Derek Gaston

Darren Cole, Stuart Findlay, Marc Fitzpatrick, Michal Habai, Jamie McCormack, Mark McLaughlin, Snake O'Ware, Jonathan Page, Tomas Peciar, Craig Reid, Mark Russell, Ben Sampayo, Scott Taggart, Jordan Cairnie, Craig Knight

Foaud Bachirou, Reece Hands, Dougie Imrie, Barrie McKay, Joe McKee, Jake Nicholson, David O'Brien, David Robertson, Stephen Stirling, Tony Wallace, Adam Ferris, Aidan Fulton, Dylan McLaughlin, Jack Smith

Archie Campbell, Kabba Modou Cham, David McNeil, Nacho Novo, Garry O'Connor, Rowan Vine

[/spoiler]

Even with those embarrassing attacking options in 00/01 which made us the lowest scoring team in the division, we managed 34 goals in 36 games. This season we're sitting with 22 in 26. We'd need to score four on Friday to end up with a better goals to games ratio than that season.

Going into a season with Kalvin Orsi as our first choice centre forward is as bad as anything in those appalling squads.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Sorry, wanted to have that in spoilers so it wasn't taking up so much space but seemingly spoilers don't work as they used to before the update and I can't see any way to add them.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Not much of an issue with the named Morton wage-thiefs, I would however except David McGregor who looked a promising player until the injury and maybe Scott Bannerman, for two reasons, firstly the goal against Peterhead and secondly the death stare with WDE (was it against Alloa?).

11 hours ago, EanieMeany said:

Aye, Gerry from the cowshed though. Now that would be an interview!

24 minutes ago, HamCam said:

Not much of an issue with the named Morton wage-thiefs, I would however except David McGregor who looked a promising player until the injury and maybe Scott Bannerman, for two reasons, firstly the goal against Peterhead and secondly the death stare with WDE (was it against Alloa?).

Bannerman's goal against Stenny in the first game back as well. He was no more than an average player at that level, but he deserves to be remembered fondly. He came up with some important and memorable moments. 

Steve Aitken, Steve Whalen, Chris Aitken and Gary Tweedie weren't bad players for us either.  Same could be said about Emilio Bottligieri.  Some of those from Cormack's team like Steve Frail, Dylan Kerr, Paul Wright and dare i say it, Daisy McPherson, were also very good players in their day but were passed it by the time we got them.

*insert signature here*

Archived