Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Inverness (6th April) - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Inverness (6th April)

Admin

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HamCam said:

Where to start with another shambolic performance?

-Any line-up with McGinty in it, is doomed to fail? 

- Muirhead is now prolific having scored two in two and his reward - immediate substitution for Orsi/Sterling.

- Every one of our January signings have been an utter waste of a strip. The farce of signing a second keeper who cannot even make the bench is typical of Morton.

- For an experienced manager Gus is not an obvious improvement on what has gone before? The double substitution had an immediate effect ensuring we were toothless up front and never looked like scoring.

- For all Gerry and opposition fans get excited at Nisbett and Oliver, their combined impact in the final third of the pitch is virtually negligible. 

- I do wonder what we do at training when we seem unable to find a team-mate with a cross or corner. 

- The ginger one cannot be forgotten having chosen to assemble a squad focussing on quantity over quality.

As I stated on another thread, the majority of this squad are more than welcome to move on next season.

The only thing I'd argue with there was I thought that some of our deliveries from corners and free kicks was decent. We should have scored from at least one of them. ICT were much better than us in the air tonight, and we fluffed our lines when we did win a header. 

3 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

The options for shaking up the team may have been limited for Gus, but he’s abjectly failing to identify any of them. You simply can’t play McGinty every week then expect anything other than relegation, for starters.

Yeah, on reflection that's fair. Gus did well to identify Hynes and bring him into the team but some of the other decisions have been poor.

EOho8Pw.png

We conceded six goals against ICT this season. One was that shambles of the passback and indirect freekick, another the great strike for the fourth tonight.

The other four were all McGinty's fault.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

The annoying thing about our second biggest humping of the season is that we've played worse this season and still come away with something. The first Ayr game for example, when we were pish for 83 minutes, and still somehow managed to win.

The scoreline tonight was harsh, but the result was fair. If we had just one clinical finisher in the team like Todorov was tonight, we'd be challenging for a play-off place instead of fighting relegation.

Gus cannot be given the job on a permanent basis. He's came in and not really made much of a difference at all. Yes his hands have been tied but continuing to entertain the likes of mcginty, Orsi, blues is just not acceptable. What's happened to Justin Johnson? 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

35 minutes ago, dmcewan16 said:

Just looking at a few status on flash scores, is it correct that our top scorer has 3 goals??? 

League goals, yeah. Nesbitt, Orsi, McGuffie all on 3.

If you make it all competitions it still makes for grim reading: Nesbitt pulls clear at the top with 4 goals. McGinty and Blues move up to 3. Oliver and Muirhead on 2.

Use the little dropdown here and you can filter by all competitions or just league:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/greenock-morton-fc/leistungsdaten/verein/3026

If we take all competitions into account - and it's charitable for us to do, given that we've faced lower-league opposition more often than not* - we find some depressing figures. Not one of our players has managed a 1-in-3 strike rate.

Cammy Blues has by far the best minutes per goal record and that's a terrible 337. Of our strikers, Orsi is best with 411. Oliver is almost exactly one goal every 5 games; Muirhead needs an extra half hour on top of that.

Going back to the league, only Arbroath have scored fewer goals than us - or more accurately, one fewer goal than us.

On a completely unrelated note, Arbroath's January signing, Jack Hamilton, has scored 5 goals in his 10 league appearances so far, including their opener in their 2-1 relegation crunch win over Alloa on Saturday. Arbroath, being a functional club, used the January window as a chance to strengthen their first eleven, rather than load up on regens and some guys on Anton's Instagram.

*That is to say, I believe goals over the course of an entire league season to be a much, much better judge of a player than cup goals and cup appearances, which can be so heavily tilted by a draw against a minnow or a giant.

EOho8Pw.png

11 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Going back to the league, only Arbroath have scored fewer goals than us - or more accurately, one fewer goal than us.

On a completely unrelated note, Arbroath's January signing, Jack Hamilton, has scored 5 goals in his 10 league appearances so far, including their opener in their 2-1 relegation crunch win over Alloa on Saturday. Arbroath, being a functional club, used the January window as a chance to strengthen their first eleven, rather than load up on regens and some guys on Anton's Instagram.

Not forgetting him scoring on his debut as they beat us 1-0 at Cappielow in January.

How costly will the decision to try to pocket the £500K grant while hoping to scrape through the season with no signings and a fitness coach in charge end up being? In addition to other clubs strengthening properly in January, while we didn't sign anyone until the end of the month when that Arbroath defeat made them face the obvious reality of a relegation battle and we were flailing around for anyone we could get, McElhone's spell in charge saw two games with Ayr, one with Arbroath and one with Alloa. We took two points from those four games; if it had been six or seven we'd pretty much be safe already.

An act of vandalism by a board who don't give a shit about the club and never have.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Would our current 'manager' have got a better points total while sticking with his own set of beloved donkeys? I'm not convinced that he would. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Archived