Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Inverness (6th April) - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Inverness (6th April)

Admin

b049a7ec-9e87-4559-9f91-37024a7e15f8.jpg

Our match preview and thread is brought to you in association with The Inverclyde Boiler Company and The Inverclyde Bathroom Company. We are extremely proud to serve the Inverclyde community 💙

BetBuildermorton.jpg

Our match preview and thread is brought to you in association with McBookie and their new BetBuilder feature. Keep your eyes across our socials for our recommended BetBuilder bet! 

dunnottar_retro_4.jpg

Our match preview and thread is brought to you in association with Dunnottar Retro Football Shirts. They are currently offering a 20% discount to all return customers when you tag their Twitter account (@TheDunnottarRFS) in a photo of yourself wearing anything from the Dunnottar range. You can visit them on www.dunnottar.scot.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We must have our best players starting. Strapp, Colville, Lyon, Jacobs. If we are going two up top, I’d have Oliver there as he’s an intelligent player who can be a bit creative. Ledger at RB as he is consistent. No Blues in midfield please.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I can see Jacobs and McGinn both starting to give us a more solid base against a form team, which will likely mean one of either Lyon or Colville starting on the bench.

Gary Oliver has many faults, but he's the only forward player we have that has any hope of holding the ball up for us in the final third, so he has to be starting matches, with Nesbitt in behind him.

Absolutely huge game. Cannot emphasize how big a win would be tonight.

4 hours ago, Alibi said:

We must have our best players starting. Strapp, Colville, Lyon, Jacobs. If we are going two up top, I’d have Oliver there as he’s an intelligent player who can be a bit creative. Ledger at RB as he is consistent. No Blues in midfield please.

No McGinn?

I'm not sure that Lyon gets into our best midfield at the moment. He certainly did himself no favours with his performance on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

I can see Jacobs and McGinn both starting to give us a more solid base against a form team, which will likely mean one of either Lyon or Colville starting on the bench.

Gary Oliver has many faults, but he's the only forward player we have that has any hope of holding the ball up for us in the final third, so he has to be starting matches, with Nesbitt in behind him.

Absolutely huge game. Cannot emphasize how big a win would be tonight.

Problem with Oliver and Nesbitt is that neither really wants to get on the end of anything. For me it's one of them playing with a striker or Nesbitt playing behind Oliver and a striker. 

There's some really tough selection decisions to make. Lyon and Jacobs are perhaps too passive in an attacking sense to play midfield with our back 5 (I don't think Strapp and Hynes are good enough to compensate for that our wide). The win against QotS had a far more attacking/proactive/dynamic midfield 3 with McGinn, Colville, and Nesbitt, with Oliver and Orsi in attack (or a front 3 of Nesbitt, Oliver, and Orsi, depending on how you look at it). If we're playing with the back 5, I think it has to be that type of selection. You could maybe get off with Colville playing in Nesbitt's role, but I'm not sure. 

My preference would be a back 4 with McGinn, Jacobs, and Colville in midfield, with Nesbitt supporting Oliver and Orsi, Sterling, or Muirhead in attack. Very similar to the set up I mentioned with the back 5 but with Jacobs as the holding midfielder instead of the extra centre half. 

Sorry, completely forgot about McGinn.  Yes, expect him to start.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Can’t say I’m unhappy about Muirhead getting a chance, hopefully he takes it. 

Caley have obviously improved since we last played them but there’s no reason we can’t win this. 

12 minutes ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

How has Ledger not scored with that header?

Dunno if it's confirmation bias or what but we seem to have missed a huge number of absolute sitters this season.

EOho8Pw.png

That was a ludicrous pass back. Only ourselves to blame for that.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Don't see us coming back now.

Where are the points going to come from?

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Archived