Scottish Cup 4th Round - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Scottish Cup 4th Round

Jamie_M

The mere suggestion of moving it is absolutely ridiculous, but I'll be especially seething if we end up having to play Sunday-Tuesday for no good reason. Get it played as planned.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was inevitable. Every two-bit commentator, politician, c-list celeb etc have been falling over themselves to show their subservience to the crown. What Philip's demise has to do with football at this level in Scotland is though beyond me. First they cancel Eastenders now Saturday football.

1 hour ago, dunning1874 said:

The mere suggestion of moving it is absolutely ridiculous, but I'll be especially seething if we end up having to play Sunday-Tuesday for no good reason. Get it played as planned.

Move the cup game to the Friday night - they need to be decided this weekend after all - but punt Arbroath v Ayr to next Tuesday. 

Much better outcome. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

6 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Move the cup game to the Friday night - they need to be decided this weekend after all - but punt Arbroath v Ayr to next Tuesday. 

Much better outcome. 

While they could move different games to different times, I suspect they'll move them all together and Clyde & Montrose are both playing on Thursday; if they're changing the day it'll be Sunday.

Assuming they're too spineless to carry on as planned, hopefully they'll just move them to 1215 on Saturday to avoid a clash.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

6 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

While they could move different games to different times, I suspect they'll move them all together and Clyde & Montrose are both playing on Thursday; if they're changing the day it'll be Sunday.

Assuming they're too spineless to carry on as planned, hopefully they'll just move them to 1215 on Saturday to avoid a clash.

Don't think it's just the time the have an issue with. Sure when Diana died there was an issue with Scotland playing on the same day, even though it was later in the day?

37 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Don't think it's just the time the have an issue with. Sure when Diana died there was an issue with Scotland playing on the same day, even though it was later in the day?

Yeah, we were due to play Belarus at Pittodrie on the Saturday and the game was moved to the Sunday. “Hoppy” scored twice and we won 4-1 en route to France ‘98.

There were some members of the Scotland squad, notably Ally McCoist, Andy Goram and Stuart McCall iirc who were quite vocal about how uncomfortable they were playing through an event of such national significance. Make of that what you will.

51 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

I'd have hoped the intervening 24 years would have made such a hysterical overreaction less likely now, but typing that out after the nonsense of the last few days I realise how silly a statement it is.

Entirely normal and not remotely deranged events in an entirely normal and not remotely deranged island.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

5 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

I'd have hoped the intervening 24 years would have made such a hysterical overreaction less likely now, but typing that out after the nonsense of the last few days I realise how silly a statement it is.

Entirely normal and not remotely deranged events in an entirely normal and not remotely deranged island.

Quite the opposite, I’d suggest Diana’s death was the watershed moment that grief culture became such a massive thing outwith it’s spiritual home of Merseyside. I’d never really seen anything like it until that point in my life, and while there’s not really been anything like it since (including Phil’s death the other day) I’d argue that in the UK folk have been progressively more hysterical about high profile passings.

16 minutes ago, Toby said:

Quite the opposite, I’d suggest Diana’s death was the watershed moment that grief culture became such a massive thing outwith it’s spiritual home of Merseyside. I’d never really seen anything like it until that point in my life, and while there’s not really been anything like it since (including Phil’s death the other day) I’d argue that in the UK folk have been progressively more hysterical about high profile passings.

Aye, while it's seen as the tipping point which unleashed hysteria around high profile deaths generally I was thinking there might be a relatively less over the top reaction to a royal death now compared with other high profile deaths, particularly as this is someone dying of natural causes at 99, although it was obviously always going to be worse than the average celebrity.

You've had the growth of social media in the intervening years making it clear how many people just don't give a fuck either way, but if anything that's made the BBC and other mainstream media double down on being quasi-religious about the whole thing. I'd have expected something like this level of hysteria about the Queen, not any of the others.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

4 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

Aye, while it's seen as the tipping point which unleashed hysteria around high profile deaths generally I was thinking there might be a relatively less over the top reaction to a royal death now compared with other high profile deaths, particularly as this is someone dying of natural causes at 99, although it was obviously always going to be worse than the average celebrity.

You've had the growth of social media in the intervening years making it clear how many people just don't give a fuck either way, but if anything that's made the BBC and other mainstream media double down on being quasi-religious about the whole thing. I'd have expected something like this level of hysteria about the Queen, not any of the others.

There’s been nothing like the hysteria here as there was at the time of Diana’s death, though.

There’s a bit of public grief, and the media are of course all over it, but if anyone thinks this comes close to that, they’re in for a rude awakening when Liz pops her clogs.

53 minutes ago, Toby said:

There’s been nothing like the hysteria here as there was at the time of Diana’s death, though.

There’s a bit of public grief, and the media are of course all over it, but if anyone thinks this comes close to that, they’re in for a rude awakening when Liz pops her clogs.

Yep, this is nothing to how it was when Diana died. People openly grieving for a woman they'd never met in their lives. When London Bridge drops, the cry-wankers will be out in force, fuelled by the BBC while Nicholas Witchell masturbates furiously.

the Scottish Grand National has been shifted from Saturday to Sunday as racing has decided there will be a 90minute period of no sport

other governing bodies lie the EFL and premiership rugby have come out and said they will move games that are due to occur in the 3pm to 4pm window - so sounds like plenty will be continuing with games on the saturday, just with adjusted times to avoid the actual funeral period.

so SFA should be just fine keeping games on the saturday - but to follow the trend just avoid the 1hr like others

It is the husband of the reigning monarch, it's only right that the country shows him respect.  

Also, supporters aren't even allowed into the games just now anyway, so it is causing minimal inconvenience.  Those who are being inconvenienced really are those directly involved in the games, which considering they've had a bit of a free ride this season by getting paid for a season of closed door games, they should have little to moan about.

*insert signature here*

I'm not particularly for or against the Royal Family.

What had to be remembered that not only was Prince Philip a very senior Royal, but also someone's husband, father, grandfather etc etc. So to celebrate his death is completely wrong.

However, I do think the media , TV in particular, went completely ott. Was there any need for the three main terrestrial channels to devote their entire programming schedule to telling us the same thing over and over again.

Yes, his passing required to be reported, but an hour or hour and a half long programme would have been more than enough.

Archived