Where will Morton finish this season? - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Where will Morton finish this season?

Admin

Where will Morton finish this season?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. As above

• 4th or higher (Promotion Playoff Place)
    • 5th
    • 6th
    • 7th
    • 8th
    • 9th (Relegation Playoff Place)
    • 10th (Automatic Relegation)

I still reckon we're the favourites for 9th, on account of having to go to Arbroath on the last day. We need to be taking enough points to go up there already safe, so two wins from the four games before that is really the minimum we need.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

4 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

I still reckon we're the favourites for 9th, on account of having to go to Arbroath on the last day. We need to be taking enough points to go up there already safe, so two wins from the four games before that is really the minimum we need.

I think there's only really a case to say we're favourites for 9th if Arbroath win on Saturday, even at that I think they'll still be slight favourites. That's a tricky match for them. They haven't beaten Alloa this season, and they will have to be cautious to guard against losing. If they fail to win on Saturday, I don't see them reaching 30 points.

If we're planning on losing to Arbroath, we might need 5 or 6 points in any case, but it also wouldn't surprise me if Arbroath don't pick up many more points before we play them. As it stands, they are favourites for 9th imo. 

10 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

'It also wouldn't surprise me if Morton don't pick up many more points before we play them...'

Given that we're currently three points clear, that would be no bother. The onus is firmly on them to make up the ground. 

If we're 1-2 points clear with a home game v Alloa and then Arbroath on the final day then we should just be relegated automatically* if we contrived to finish in the bottom two. 

I think we might jump up the table at the end like we did in the Johansson season, albeit only to a 'comfortable 7th'. 

*and liquidated, starting over in the North Caledonian League.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

6 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

'It also wouldn't surprise me if Morton don't pick up many more points before we play them...'

It certainly wouldn't, but if Arbroath only pick up, say, 4 points before then (which would be an improvement in their results in those games earlier in the season and in keeping with their current point per game rate) then we won't need too many points. If Arbroath don't win on Saturday then they might struggle to catch where we are now. 

If we finish anywhere other than 9th or 10th it'll be a miracle. The club is a mess from top to bottom, on and off the park. Absolutely scunnered. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

On 3/31/2021 at 6:17 PM, vikingTON said:

Given that we're currently three points clear, that would be no bother. The onus is firmly on them to make up the ground. 

Well, that's that part done. Now to try and get back above either Arbroath or Ayr with games against Dundee away and Hearts at home, with them playing each other before the Hearts game.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

59 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

If we finish anywhere other than 9th or 10th it'll be a miracle. The club is a mess from top to bottom, on and off the park. Absolutely scunnered. 

Even if we lose every game Alloa would need two wins from Hearts, Raith and Dunfermline to catch us, or one win and one draw with a 14 goal swing. 10th is realistically not happening, although 9th is just delaying the inevitable as there's no chance this team is getting through the playoffs.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Ayr have a tougher run in, and lost a couple of players last night (McCowan and Todd) to injuries that are likely to keep them out for at least a few weeks.

Think the next movement between us, Ayr and Arbroath will be in 2 weeks time when I think Arbroath will beat them.

3 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

Even if we lose every game Alloa would need two wins from Hearts, Raith and Dunfermline to catch us, or one win and one draw with a 14 goal swing. 10th is realistically not happening, although 9th is just delaying the inevitable as there's no chance this team is getting through the playoffs.

And the possibility of fucking Falkirk or Partick sending us down. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

11 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

My worst fear is us being relegated in a play off against Partick Thistle.  I hate that fucking club.

ETA:

However, us beating them to keep them down would be worth any short term irritant caused by being involved in the relegation play-offs.

*insert signature here*

Archived