Live streams this season - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Live streams this season

Mortonmark

Yeah, it was a Mexican standoff.* Either everyone stops or nobody does. See Dover in the English National League for an example of what happens when a professional club unilaterally pulls out. There's no relegation this season, most likely, so for continuing to furlough they've had their record expunged, a significant fine, and 12 points deducted next season. 

*not racist

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Well, it's down to the definition of 'necessity' I suppose. I assume one of the main reasons for allowing some sport to continue is because metal health issues resulting from lockdown is undoubtedly an issue we'll have to deal with in years to come. If having sporting outlets during lockdown gives us at least some semblance of normality, it could be of benefit to some people experiencing isolation and depression. 

So if you're defining ''necessity' as a matter of life or death, then it probably isn't, for me at least. But if it's a way of making the lockdowns slightly more bearable, then yeah, I'd say it is. 

I think you're shifting the goalposts from Cappielow to Ravenscraig now, to cover for the fact that the commercial necessity of playing has been exposed as nonsense. GMFC and indeed every other club in the SPFL are not playing every Saturday for the benefit of your or anyone else's mental health. They've amply demonstrated this season that the purpose of you as a fan is to sit down, shut up and pay your season ticket/£14 a pop stream as usual. And the Scottish Government is certainly not telling them that they must play for the sake of 1400 folk a fortnight in Ayr or Inverclyde either. 

There's no necessity involved at all then. SPFL Championship clubs had a free choice to choose whether to start, a free choice of scheduling, and a free choice of battering ahead without fans on both counts. They're extremely fortunate to be getting a frankly ridiculous £500k taxpayer bailout for their stupidity, but that's not contingent on them continuing to play and stream shite lower league football to a tiny minority of households across the country.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

4 hours ago, Toby said:

I’d say that from the point of view of Morton as an individual club it’s a necessity. What would the consequences have been if we had decided not to compete this season? Relegation to League One? Booted out the SPFL completely? Packed off to the West of Scotland Conferences? It’s easy enough for Auchinleck and Forres Mechanics to just shut up shop for a year but from our lofty position near the pinnacle of the Scottish game, that option wasn’t really available.

We don't know if that option was available, because GMFC didn't set out any public disquiet to starting. McKinnon had a media soapbox in the tabloids all summer, but when the time came to consider the serious consequences of that decision, he was too busy trying to flog season tickets with the claim that you'd get first dibs on entry when fans inevitably returned to the ground in a few weeks' time.

From the outside view at least, Morton have been just as complicit in the decision to treat fans as an afterthought as any other club. Which is hardly surprising given the track record of our owners. Crawford and the gang will have fucking loved the idea of turning 'bring a friend' into 'buy a stream', while keeping the plebs safely out of sight on matchday. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

3 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Well, it's down to the definition of 'necessity' I suppose. I assume one of the main reasons for allowing some sport to continue is because metal health issues resulting from lockdown is undoubtedly an issue we'll have to deal with in years to come. If having sporting outlets during lockdown gives us at least some semblance of normality, it could be of benefit to some people experiencing isolation and depression. 

So if you're defining ''necessity' as a matter of life or death, then it probably isn't, for me at least. But if it's a way of making the lockdowns slightly more bearable, then yeah, I'd say it is. 

What, like the Hairy Bikers?

*insert signature here*

The sole point in defence of Championship, League 1 & League 2 clubs is that at the point they decided to start the season in October the government was maintaining furlough would stop at the end of October.

If they thought they were imminently losing any protections from the running costs that would be there even if they weren't playing and didn't have playing staff on the books it's understandable that they decided to take the path that would bring some level of revenue in, even if it was obviously unsustainable nonsense.

The real debate is why did they persist with the sunk cost fallacy once furlough was extended; did they actually think it was the right thing to do and they could ride out because fans would actually be back, did they persist out of embarrassment of how a cancelled season would look or was it all for the benefit of Robbie Neilson's travelling circus?

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 1:39 PM, Alibi said:

Don't complicate things.  I note you've chosen an exclusion set that allows you personally, as an immigrant to wherever you're staying now, to continue to get the streams, but excludes anyone who lives in anywhere in Scotland not within easy reach of Greenock.  Forcing people to travel just to boost the crowd or create atmosphere is missing the point.  Allowing streaming will increase overall revenues as a lot of folk will use the service for whatever reason, provided the price isn't set too low.  I think £14 is fairly reasonable in that regard.  I don't go to every game normally but I have watched almost every stream (Hearts away on VIP league, but all others via paid club streams).  If it was georestricted, folk could in any case just use a VPN.  It's crazy to provide a service and then find ways to stop people buying it.  That would be Mortonesque marketing writ large.

Bit of a bump to this topic but it's being discussed on P and B at the moment. The best compromise would be if season tickets carried some sort of geographical distinction (as the crow flies/postcode areas)/local authority regions), by which holders outwith a certain distance received access to a streaming link, as all ST holders presumably get right now. Those with registered disabilities could secure similar access. Setting it by country and pretending that Inverness or indeed Dumfries are inherently easier to get to a home game to than Newcastle is daft. The address details of ST holders are already kept on the system* so it does not involve extra bureaucracy to work out who is entitled and who is not, once a cut-off line is established. Any abuse or sharing of links would have to be monitored and clamped down on, but losing ST privileges is a straightforward way to deal with that. 

Each club should have the right to limit that streaming range as they wish, as well as the right to include (or not) the option of limited streaming for ST holders within the core catchment area as well. The idea that the SPFL should collectively set these rules for Celtic and Ross County as much as Stranraer and Elgin is redundant. 

* written on a set of Post-It notes in the blind commentary broom cupboard. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived