Live streams this season - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Live streams this season

Mortonmark

10 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

You've just proved my point that making live streaming available to all will significantly reduce crowds at the game. Thanks for that. 

I don't think you get it!  Alibi and myself are contributing more to the club than we would normally, I probably attended 8 home games on average pre covid, whereas I have bought every home game this season, therefore generating more revenue for the club than I would normally.Also, my wife is housebound with progressive MS, so this situation personally suits my circumstances. I'm sorry if you feel that this will be detrimental to the club. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, helensburghton said:

I don't think you get it!  Alibi and myself are contributing more to the club than we would normally, I probably attended 8 home games on average pre covid, whereas I have bought every home game this season, therefore generating more revenue for the club than I would normally.Also, my wife is housebound with progressive MS, so this situation personally suits my circumstances. I'm sorry if you feel that this will be detrimental to the club. 

Oh I get it OK, it's you who isn't getting it. I'll try to keep it simple for you. FOOTBALL. IS. A. SPECTATOR. SPORT. If people like you who could easily make the game (I'm assuming you live in Helensburgh) chuck it and watch from home, the game as a spectacle at our level will die. Our 1000-1500 hard core will shrink even further, we'll be lucky if we get above 1000 most games.

3 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Oh I get it OK, it's you who isn't getting it. I'll try to keep it simple for you. FOOTBALL. IS. A. SPECTATOR. SPORT. If people like you who could easily make the game (I'm assuming you live in Helensburgh) chuck it and watch from home, the game as a spectator sport will die. Our 1000-1500 hard core will shrink even further, we'll be lucky of we get above 1000 most games.

No need to get angry! I couldn't usually "easily" make the games, I've got to arrange care for my wife whilst attending games. You should stop making assumptions, I have the best interests of the club at heart. So don't blame me for the dwindling support. 

3 minutes ago, helensburghton said:

No need to get angry! I couldn't usually "easily" make the games, I've got to arrange care for my wife whilst attending games. You should stop making assumptions, I have the best interests of the club at heart. So don't blame me for the dwindling support. 

Think you're the one getting angry mate ;) I'm not 'blaming' you personally for dwindling crowds. :) What I'm pointing out is that what you're advocating will exacerbate it. 

1 hour ago, Stevie Aitken's Love Child said:

Last Saturday, Gerry mentioned the train to Wemyss Bay, and I had to use every ounce of self control I have not to tweet him to let him know that the Wemyss Bay train would pass Cartsdyke.

Like that Gerry.

14 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Out of necessity numbnuts.

In what way was it out of necessity at this level of competition? The staff were furloughed for up to £2500 per month until last summer - comfortably enough to deal with Morton's wage bracket - and then the bulk of the playing staff were out of contract. Since then, employees across countless other sectors have been on rolling furlough while their business cannot trade effectively, with their employer paying relatively little to do so.

The reason why Scottish professional football is running is because it is run by gormless morons who, as our now departed chief executive confirmed way back then, were convinced that they could get full crowds back by January if not sooner. Nobody put a gun to their heads to commit to that act of complete folly. 

There was no need and no good argument for clubs to play to empty stadiums, in the absence of a credible TV deal to actually make it worthwhile. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

33 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

In what way was it out of necessity at this level of competition?

Sure the Championship could have shutdown and furloughed, but I guess the reason selected levels of sport are allowed to continue is to at least give everyone currently bored out their nuts some outlet and semblance of normality. Even though the standard of football at our level isn't great, I've nevertheless appreciated having something to look forward to on a Saturday.

17 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Sure the Championship could have shutdown and furloughed, but I guess the reason selected levels of sport are allowed to continue is to at least give everyone currently bored out their nuts some outlet and semblance of normality. Even though the standard of football at our level isn't great, I've nevertheless appreciated having something to look forward to on a Saturday.

So clubs aren't playing football without fans 'out of necessity' at all then. They could have said "no, that's a gubbins idea - let's wait until the pandemic is securely under control and look to restart then because our spectators are critical to our purpose". Instead, they spent all of last autumn guilt-tripping fans into buying season tickets and streams for a piss-poor alternative product. 

The same understandable arguments that you make for the value of a stream now will remain valid for some paying customers in a year's time or later; when you're wanting to oblige UK based fans to visit grounds to make your foreign stream experience more authentic. I don't see how that genie can just be put back in the bottle though, and if clubs end up losing out in the long run then it would be richly deserved given the comtempt with which they've treated their customer base this season. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

22 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

So clubs aren't playing football without fans 'out of necessity' at all then.  

Well, it's down to the definition of 'necessity' I suppose. I assume one of the main reasons for allowing some sport to continue is because metal health issues resulting from lockdown is undoubtedly an issue we'll have to deal with in years to come. If having sporting outlets during lockdown gives us at least some semblance of normality, it could be of benefit to some people experiencing isolation and depression. 

So if you're defining ''necessity' as a matter of life or death, then it probably isn't, for me at least. But if it's a way of making the lockdowns slightly more bearable, then yeah, I'd say it is. 

I’d say that from the point of view of Morton as an individual club it’s a necessity. What would the consequences have been if we had decided not to compete this season? Relegation to League One? Booted out the SPFL completely? Packed off to the West of Scotland Conferences? It’s easy enough for Auchinleck and Forres Mechanics to just shut up shop for a year but from our lofty position near the pinnacle of the Scottish game, that option wasn’t really available.

Archived