Live streams this season - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Live streams this season

Mortonmark

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Really good but I stopped buying them after the Raes shafted us (again) in December. That's not a reflection of their quality. Gerry is excellent and I didn't expect Andy to be as insightful as he was, but he is brilliant too.

2) Other than the pillars, which aren't really the fault of the stream, I'd put us there or thereabouts. We're definitely in the top three and almost certainly in the top two. Raith was good but a bit tinpot with the whole chatroom thing. Dunfermline were good too.

3) Living several thousand miles from Cappielow as I do, absolutely. Again, my boycott is not to do with the stream itself but purely the current occupants who are trying to loot the club of its assets on the way out. As they seem very likely to succeed in this, I choose not to aid them with a few quid more. It may be a tiny amount in the grand scheme of things but I feel it morally appropriate not to subsidize the Raes' dreadful behavior more than I already have. So as soon as a suitable new owner comes along, I'll happily resubscribe.

EOho8Pw.png

I’ve been quite happy with the streams so far (Betfred Cup aside). If they continue to net the club some much needed income, then they should continue after lockdown restrictions have been lifted. There will always be fans who can’t attend in-person, but I’m guessing it depends if the benefits outweigh the costs. I do think £14 is a touch on the pricey side compared to the other clubs in the league. I should mention I only watch the home streams, so can’t comment on the quality of other clubs’ output, but I’ve read some comments on P&B which have been generally complimentary of our service.

I would like to see streaming continue even after the grounds are opened up again. Whilst being at the game is obviously the real deal, there are huge benefits for us out of towners. Not having to travel in particular, but also being able to watch away games that I would never go to. Would be interesting to see how many fans would use a streaming service once we are free to go to Cappielow again. I know I have already seen more games this season than I usually manage in a normal season, & with streaming that would continue for me. Probably means I would see more games & spend more with the club, but save massively on ancillary costs.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Really enjoy the streams, I stopped going to away games, particularly the far flung ones, a couple of seasons ago, so, like Alibi, I've seen more games this term than I would have.

On terms of quality, I think we're second only to Raith. They've had a stream for many years so are well practised in it. (You don't have to have the chat showing)

In terms of watching the far flung away games I'd subscribe after lockdown, but would always take the opportunity to stand in the Cowshed.

As others have said the commentary is much better than expected and, as every other club has been, honest and unbiased.

Morton’s by far the best in the league I’ve watched. I’ve made a few tweets on the topic when we play away, it makes you appreciate how well ours is doing…Inverness worthy of last place in my opinion, but I didn’t spend the £18 to watch us at Hearts.

Hats off the club, we made an arse of it but quickly resolved it and for me have provided a product which is probably the best in the league largely due to the fact we don't use a couple of fans off the street like most clubs do. Gerry and Andy have done a great job 

We have added to it with more cameras, replays etc which makes the whole experience much better.

Only negative I have is it to seems to finish rather abruptly, would like more post match analysis, maybe an interview with the manager or player etc

Would love to know viewing numbers. I make most home matches generally and a couple of away games. This season I've bought every stream and would imagine many other fans are in the same boat so clubs will certainly benefits from more away fans signing up than would normally attend, would imagine more Morton fans signed up for Inverness away than would normally travel up and vice versa . I know one club showed the amount viewing, was it Arbroath, be good if we could do the same.

After the predictable half arsed start the service has improved to be one if not the best examples I've seen. Gerry and Andy have exceeded my expectations and both reflect well on the club.

If the service is still available when things return to normal I would continue to use it as it's so much better than brief radio updates from hacks who couldn't find Greenock without a guide dog, or twitter updates.

Living abroad, I was just saying the other day that one of the very few good things to come out of the whole covid pandemic was being able to watch the Ton again on a regular basis. I've watched all home games on live stream except the first Dunfermline game, and although the standard of football and the results haven't always been what I would have liked, I've enjoyed them all nevertheless. Gerry and Andy work extremely together well and are a real asset to the club.

I've only watched a couple of away games (ICT and Dunfermline), but based on them and the comments I've read from fans of other clubs, our live stream is definitely right up there with the best in terms of stream quality and commentary. 

I really hope the live stream continues after crowds are allowed back, but with some caveats. IMO, it should only be available to those who can't go to the games in person, either through proximity or disability. If it's also available to those who live near enough and are fit enough to attend the games, it will reduce the crowds and atmosphere at the game itself. So if it's only available to, say, those living outside Scotland and those with a registered disability, I think that would be the best compromise to maintain an erstwhile missing revenue stream from ex-pats and those living elsewhere in the UK, without significantly reducing the crowds and atmosphere at the game. 

I'm thoroughly enjoying the livestreams. The quality of the football is not always the best, but the quality of the livestream is always great and entertaining. A big thanks to Gerry, Andy and the rest of the crew.

I have watched Morton more times this season than in the past 40+ years and would love to see the livestreams continue into future seasons.

No complaints from me. They’ve consistently gotten better and we’ve added wee things along the way to make them more professional. Enjoy Gerry & Andy every week too which I was a bit unsure about at the beginning.  

2 hours ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

Living abroad, I was just saying the other day that one of the very few good things to come out of the whole covid pandemic was being able to watch the Ton again on a regular basis. I've watched all home games on live stream except the first Dunfermline game, and although the standard of football and the results haven't always been what I would have liked, I've enjoyed them all nevertheless. Gerry and Andy work extremely together well and are a real asset to the club.

I've only watched a couple of away games (ICT and Dunfermline), but based on them and the comments I've read from fans of other clubs, our live stream is definitely right up there with the best in terms of stream quality and commentary. 

I really hope the live stream continues after crowds are allowed back, but with some caveats. IMO, it should only be available to those who can't go to the games in person, either through proximity or disability. If it's also available to those who live near enough and are fit enough to attend the games, it will reduce the crowds and atmosphere at the game itself. So if it's only available to, say, those living outside Scotland and those with a registered disability, I think that would be the best compromise to maintain an erstwhile missing revenue stream from ex-pats and those living elsewhere in the UK, without significantly reducing the crowds and atmosphere at the game. 

Don't complicate things.  I note you've chosen an exclusion set that allows you personally, as an immigrant to wherever you're staying now, to continue to get the streams, but excludes anyone who lives in anywhere in Scotland not within easy reach of Greenock.  Forcing people to travel just to boost the crowd or create atmosphere is missing the point.  Allowing streaming will increase overall revenues as a lot of folk will use the service for whatever reason, provided the price isn't set too low.  I think £14 is fairly reasonable in that regard.  I don't go to every game normally but I have watched almost every stream (Hearts away on VIP league, but all others via paid club streams).  If it was georestricted, folk could in any case just use a VPN.  It's crazy to provide a service and then find ways to stop people buying it.  That would be Mortonesque marketing writ large.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

Don't complicate things.  I note you've chosen an exclusion set that allows you personally, as an immigrant to wherever you're staying now, to continue to get the streams, but excludes anyone who lives in anywhere in Scotland not within easy reach of Greenock.  Forcing people to travel just to boost the crowd or create atmosphere is missing the point.  Allowing streaming will increase overall revenues as a lot of folk will use the service for whatever reason, provided the price isn't set too low.  I think £14 is fairly reasonable in that regard.  I don't go to every game normally but I have watched almost every stream (Hearts away on VIP league, but all others via paid club streams).  If it was georestricted, folk could in any case just use a VPN.  It's crazy to provide a service and then find ways to stop people buying it.  That would be Mortonesque marketing writ large.

I think you're the one who's missing the point. It's a spectator sport, and the presence of fans at the game is as much as a part of the spectacle as the players on the pitch. The one thing that's really been missing from the games this season is crowds and atmosphere. Our crowds are small enough as it is, but if live streaming was available to all as you suggest, they would plummet even further, especially in the winter months. You as much as admitted yourself that if you could live stream, you would attend fewer games.

One thing I would add is that if live streaming was only available to those I proposed above, i.e., disabled, ex-pats, and those in the rest of the UK, it should cost the same as someone going through the turnstile. I'd be happy to pay that. And I'd add the elderly (65+) to the list of those who could live stream from anywhere, as well.

53 minutes ago, Alibi said:

Like it or not, that’s how clubs’ streaming worked before, and will be how it works in the future. If Morton continue their streaming, the caveat will be that it’ll only be available to those outside the UK, as the rules currently state.

It’ll probably end up in a loss to continue it, but it’s up to the club to consider if the loss is worthwhile, very much like the issue of match programmes, which I very much doubt are big money makers.

I get that it’s more convenient for you in Dumfries to watch a stream than to be driving up to Greenock every other week, but the day we make it accessible to everyone the floodgates will open, just like they did when SKY bought the English Premier League rights in 1992. Football’s a spectator sport, not a TV programme. The longer that’s the case, the better.

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

That decision is likely to be outwith the club's control as the rules are dictated by the SPFL and their broadcast partners which are likely to prohibit the option for domestic streams once fans return to grounds.

Going forward, oversees Morton fans will always be able to purchase streams of the games through the SPFL Match Centre which uses the Pixie Lotte system. The FAQs on there say that commentary is also provided, not sure how that works, is it the club's commentary or something else.

Remains to be seen if the club think it'll be cost effective to continue to run their own as other clubs do. Hopefully they do.

12 hours ago, Alibi said:

I would like to see streaming continue even after the grounds are opened up again. Whilst being at the game is obviously the real deal, there are huge benefits for us out of towners. Not having to travel in particular, but also being able to watch away games that I would never go to. Would be interesting to see how many fans would use a streaming service once we are free to go to Cappielow again. I know I have already seen more games this season than I usually manage in a normal season, & with streaming that would continue for me. Probably means I would see more games & spend more with the club, but save massively on ancillary costs.

I totally agree with everything you have said, and I also have spent more on streaming and 50/50 draws than I would normally every season. I have enjoyed sitting watching the games with a couple of beers and not having to worry about driving. Gerry and Andy ("ye know")  have been brilliant! 

45 minutes ago, helensburghton said:

I totally agree with everything you have said, and I also have spent more on streaming and 50/50 draws than I would normally every season. I have enjoyed sitting watching the games with a couple of beers and not having to worry about driving. Gerry and Andy ("ye know")  have been brilliant! 

You've just proved my point that making live streaming available to all will significantly reduce crowds at the game. Thanks for that. 

7 minutes ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

You've just proved my point that making live streaming available to all will significantly reduce crowds at the game. Thanks for that. 

It’s okay though, one guy’s spending a couple more quid on 50/50 draw tickets.

The protectionism around lower-league football - the 3pm "watershed", the national restrictions - is one of the few things keeping it viable as a spectator sport. It's certainly not the facilities or the atmosphere. You can make a free market case for the 3pm blackout being an anachronism (one increasingly bypassed by the internet, in any case) and for local restrictions on broadcasting to be an excessive restraint on trade, not to mention customers in Wick and other made-up places. These are arguable positions, with definite pros and cons. I, however, prefer the status quo.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived