Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Dunfermline (Scottish Cup 23rd March) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Dunfermline (Scottish Cup 23rd March)

Admin

1 hour ago, GiGi said:

Except they can't be, rules changed. Dropped balls are awarded to the last team in possession.

Which the referee got wrong anyway since we had the ball.

I was aware of the rule change, its something that should be changed back and allow the players to compete. That would stop what happened last night.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

In practice players hardly ever did compete.

The dropped ball rule is a relic, frankly, and it's hard to see its use.

Not how i remember it. My recollection is it was almost always contested. My preference would be to revert to what happened in the past. As for this nonsense involving throwing the ball back to the opposition...

43 minutes ago, HamCam said:

Not how i remember it. My recollection is it was almost always contested. 

In your Hovis-themed nostalgiafest, sure.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

19 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

In your Hovis-themed nostalgiafest, sure.

You seem to have some bread fetish going on. The reality is contested drop-balls were part of the game in the past. Not all changes in the modern game have been for the best.

21 minutes ago, HamCam said:

You seem to have some bread fetish going on. The reality is contested drop-balls were part of the game in the past. Not all changes in the modern game have been for the best.

Contested drop balls have probably happened a handful of times in the near twenty years of our current owners' tenure though. You'd be as well yelling at a cloud about Walkmans and Megadrives for all the relevance* it has to the modern practice.

* absolute zero

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

4 hours ago, HamCam said:

Not how i remember it. My recollection is it was almost always contested. My preference would be to revert to what happened in the past. As for this nonsense involving throwing the ball back to the opposition...

3 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Me too

Your recollection must be literally decades old. The first games I remember well enough to comment on are from the end of 1993, start of 1994 - it was uncommon then and since then it's only become less and less common for them to be contested. There's not a player active today who played back then (old duffer goalkeepers in the Faroese 9th division don't count.) At this point I doubt even most managers date from a time when it was always contested. This is also why there was such a fuss on the rare occasions when it was contested.

I can think of a couple of contested ones I've seen at Cappielow but the overwhelming majority of the time it was kicked back to the opposing defence, to a ripple of polite applause. The same is true at all levels of the British game.

Whether it's positive or negative for the game is immaterial to the reality on the ground.

EOho8Pw.png

12 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Your recollection must be literally decades old. The first games I remember well enough to comment on are from the end of 1993, start of 1994 - it was uncommon then and since then it's only become less and less common for them to be contested. There's not a player active today who played back then (old duffer goalkeepers in the Faroese 9th division don't count.) At this point I doubt even most managers date from a time when it was always contested. This is also why there was such a fuss on the rare occasions when it was contested.

I can think of a couple of contested ones I've seen at Cappielow but the overwhelming majority of the time it was kicked back to the opposing defence, to a ripple of polite applause. The same is true at all levels of the British game.

Whether it's positive or negative for the game is immaterial to the reality on the ground.

As you are referencing 1993/94, is your recollection not also literally decades old? I never commented on whether it's positive or negative for the game, I merely offered an opinion that I preferred contested drop-balls (how I remember it or maybe choose to remember it). Not that you asked but I am also no fan of the experiment with the 'Assistant Referee' delaying sticking the flag up for offside, goalkeepers being untouchable albeit Roofe's challenge on the Slavia Prague keeper was maybe over the top, every match involving clapping/silence/taking a knee at kick-off... cue VT powering up his Walkman to play more 'Hovis' music.

1 hour ago, HamCam said:

As you are referencing 1993/94, is your recollection not also literally decades old? I never commented on whether it's positive or negative for the game, I merely offered an opinion that I preferred contested drop-balls (how I remember it or maybe choose to remember it). Not that you asked but I am also no fan of the experiment with the 'Assistant Referee' delaying sticking the flag up for offside, goalkeepers being untouchable albeit Roofe's challenge on the Slavia Prague keeper was maybe over the top, every match involving clapping/silence/taking a knee at kick-off... cue VT powering up his Walkman to play more 'Hovis' music.

tenor (38).gif

2 hours ago, HamCam said:

You said: "Not all changes in the modern game have been for the best." I agree with this, but it's immaterial to whether or not those changes have taken place, which is what's under dispute here.

If I'm saying that even 30ish years ago dropped balls were rarely contested, and you said - and you did, you didn't merely cite a preference - "My recollection is it was almost always contested". You need to go back even more decades, more than three, in order for this to start being true. For as long as any active senior footballer in Scotland has been on the pitch, this has not been the case. It's a relic. It was very seldom done and when it did it usually spurred reaction among the crowd, who were used to instead booting it back to the opposition.

EOho8Pw.png

HamCam must be much older than me as I can only very vaguely remember contested drop-balls. And if I recall correctly, even though all drop-balls could be contested, out of sportsmanship it would typically only be contested when no team had clear possession of the ball when the whistle was blown. 

In the latter days of the dropped ball rule, incidentally, FIFA felt moved to issue informal guidance to refs that they were not to use the decision as a way of avoiding making a real decision. Some refs would use it to halt play or defuse a situation without punishing either team, which was incorrect. It's now taken out of their hands. 

EOho8Pw.png

On 3/24/2021 at 11:19 AM, Madton said:

I'd play them every week, we generally do very well against them.

Looking over the last 10 years, we have 16 victories to their 9 and 8 draws.

Would imagine that's probably the best record we have against full time teams over the same period.

We definitely have the indian sign on them. The games might not be pretty to watch, but we seem to find a way to beat them.

On 3/23/2021 at 5:47 PM, Nornirontons said:

I may be wrong but on the pars front your seeing the limitations of a manager who even their own support knows has limited capabilities. 

On 3/23/2021 at 6:58 PM, TRVMP said:

The Craw has had plenty of resources given to him, Dunfermline are punching below their weight for sure.

The Pars were absolutely humped 5-1 by local rivals Raith tonight. He's got to be under massive pressure now.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived