Forum users and how you affect mental health of others....just for the craic!!! - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Forum users and how you affect mental health of others....just for the craic!!!

I think people on here need to seriously look at how they treat other users... who are at the end of the day MORTON SUPPORTERS THROUGH AND THROUGH!!! DEAN did a great piece recently on mental health but until now it's something that has never been talked about or addressed on this forum.

The trolling of individuals by certain people to certain individuals(I'm not talking about just at the time..some on here like to troll your posts for over a month and more...sad lives they lead I know) might just be for the craic but constantly(I got into this myself and have thought wtf!!!)...I question some of the logic to fellow fans.

I'm gonna come clean and say I'm lucky to see 2021. I was in a dark place and I'm happy to talk to any poster on here if they want to contact me.

Sometimes I'll agree to disagree(who really cares if you get a red or green at the time you post??...some more than others I guess) but at the end of the day since a 6 year old in 1982 I've been a Morton fan...I remember stupidly standing as a child when clydebank were beating us 7-2 and crying because my dad wanted to leave early. I'm blue and white to the core and whilst we can all agree to disagree times are tough for everyone and we should remember at the end of the day...

You are my Morton you are my only Morton you make me happy when skies are grey!!!!!!

Theres nothing to stop people up voting or down voting but targeting individuals by the same people constantly...??? 

I do think the admin team need to look closely on trollers of particular posters much more closely its not on!!!!! 

Ridicule me for putting a mental health point of view on here if you like but not every poster on heres life is sweet and roses!!!

But I FUCKING LOVE GREENOCK MORTON AND ALWAYS WILL!!!!!!

• Nornirontons changed the title to Forum users and how you affect mental health of others....just for the craic!!!

You make some fair points. 

However the manner in which you've written that post makes it a bit cringey and over the top for my liking. If you want to discuss mental health then why not do so seriously rather than for 'craic.' 

And for the record this isn't 'trolling.' 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Have to say I agree with Nornirontons. (A person who I don't knowingly know)

His use of the word craic just typifies my opinion of contacting people by text or email etc. The written word can be taken out of context far too easily,that's why I prefer to speak to people directly.

There are some posters who are far to keen to criticise what are, for the most part, fair comments and other people's opinions on players,managers or games just because those opinions don't match their own.

Red dots, green dots,who gives a flying fuck, but there are some posters who are red dotted just for posting on the first place. And there are posters who seem to revel in telling us all that they are the ones who have awarded the red dot, there are even those who take pride in "rectifying" their pals mistake by awarding a red dot to cancel out a green dot seemingly given in error. Whatever way you look at it Green is taken as agreement or like while Red is taken as wrong or dislike, and that will affect some people adversely.

There are some posters I know to be grown men who actively take part in the above, I suspect that there are others are youngsters who are at the wind up.

What I will say is that everyone has their own opinions and reasons and they are entitled to air them without being lambasted or trolled. By all means disagree with their opinions, but do it in a reasoned and proper manner.

I know several people who have abandoned this forum for these very reasons and not because they have been the targets but because they are fed up with perfectly reasonable threads being highjacked and ending up like a playground squabble.

I think you have to clearly differentiate between those who invite scorn and ridicule by being, well, cunts for want of a better word, and those who receive it for simply giving an honest opinion that may be contrary to board consensus. The former I have no issue with, but the latter can sometimes be a bit uncomfortable to read. But in that respect I don't think this board is any worse than 99% of all other male dominated football fans' forums. In fact, I think it's one of the better ones. 

I'm lucky enough to have never suffered from any serious mental health issues (so far at least), so I have no idea what being on the receiving end of abuse or ridicule can have on someone going through a depression. But I would imagine the impact is negative. 

Glad to hear you came through the other end Nornirontons, and it was brave of you to start this thread, but if the aim of it was to initiate change, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. I would say to you and anyone else though, if coming onto this or any other male dominated football forum may have an impact on your mental wellbeing, then steer well clear.

11 hours ago, Nornirontons said:

I think people on here need to seriously look at how they treat other users... who are at the end of the day MORTON SUPPORTERS THROUGH AND THROUGH!!! DEAN did a great piece recently on mental health but until now it's something that has never been talked about or addressed on this forum.

The trolling of individuals by certain people to certain individuals(I'm not talking about just at the time..some on here like to troll your posts for over a month and more...sad lives they lead I know) might just be for the craic but constantly(I got into this myself and have thought wtf!!!)...I question some of the logic to fellow fans.

I'm gonna come clean and say I'm lucky to see 2021. I was in a dark place and I'm happy to talk to any poster on here if they want to contact me.

Sometimes I'll agree to disagree(who really cares if you get a red or green at the time you post??...some more than others I guess) but at the end of the day since a 6 year old in 1982 I've been a Morton fan...I remember stupidly standing as a child when clydebank were beating us 7-2 and crying because my dad wanted to leave early. I'm blue and white to the core and whilst we can all agree to disagree times are tough for everyone and we should remember at the end of the day...

You are my Morton you are my only Morton you make me happy when skies are grey!!!!!!

Theres nothing to stop people up voting or down voting but targeting individuals by the same people constantly...??? 

I do think the admin team need to look closely on trollers of particular posters much more closely its not on!!!!! 

Ridicule me for putting a mental health point of view on here if you like but not every poster on heres life is sweet and roses!!!

But I FUCKING LOVE GREENOCK MORTON AND ALWAYS WILL!!!!!!

I gave you a greenie just for your last sentence, but....

600-03003561en_Masterfile.jpg

:lol: :lol:

In all seriousness, I need to ask if you had ever stopped to consider your own actions on this messageboard and how they affected the mental health of others?  You were targeting myself and another (VT) in recent times by voting down our posts, just because you got a few more than you'd expected in return doesn't mean you're some kind of innocent victim here.

For what it's worth, the red/green function on this site is one of its good features, and if you are genuinely struggling with your mental health then you'll find there are good people on here who would be supportive, but the best advice anyone can give you is don't take it too seriously.  It's a messageboard.  A bit of fun.  If you cant accept the give/take when it comes to banter or if you let things get too personal, then maybe take a wee step back for your own sake.

ETA: I genuinely mean it, if you are struggling, having a difficult time or are needing to let off steam in confidence without judgement, please feel free to PM myself, or if not myself then the folks on the admin team.  Take it easy.  :) 

*insert signature here*

Archived