Gus MacPherson new gaffer - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Gus MacPherson new gaffer

Doddie

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

Hang on a minute! Over the last couple of weeks we’ve been under the impression on here that we’re imploding and nobody in MCT or the board give a monkeys where we end up. Now we bring in an experienced management duo and there’s widespread apathy! I felt the same as the majority but by that logic I didn’t see this coming. It’s quite a bold move, a good appointment and won’t come cheap. With the state we’ve been in it’s irrelevant that they had connections with our local rivals, and completely petty to even mention it. I’m pretty sure they’ll recognise quickly which players merit a starting place, and provide the tactics and formation that will best suit them. I came on here looking forward to a bit of unusual optimism. I should’ve known better!

Funny thing that folk are actually sharing differing opinions on a public forum eh? 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

It's consistent to say that we needed a real manager and the board failing to appoint one through three months of being managed by a fitness coach was evidence of their deliberate neglect of the club, while also acknowledging that finally appointing one now is confirmation their statement when Hopkin left was a pack of lies as well as being weird timing.

As for McPherson himself, meh. There are out of work managers around who didn't get feebly relegated in their last job at this level so it feels like scraping the bottom of the barrel - I doubt any other full-time club would be making this appointment including those in Leagues 1 & 2 - but this is a million miles away from being an attractive job just now. While I wouldn't say I'm happy with it, it's better than going into the remaining 8 games with McElhone in charge.

It's an extremely tight situation for a manager to get to know the squad though. If only we'd appointed someone in fucking December when Hopkin left they wouldn't have been walking into such a high pressure situation. Some laugh if having finally had the changes pretty much everyone wanted on Tuesday night - Jacobs, Lyon and Colville together in midfield, Sterling getting his first start and looking better than anyone else we've had at centre forward, Fjortoft and McLean at centre back, as well as Nesbitt having his best game in weeks and getting a goal that might spur him on - we go right back to the drawing board with a new system and a need for it to work immediately.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Even though he has a whiff of the Paisley about him, I wish Gus (and Andy) all the best in safeguarding our status as a Championship club. I can only assume the collective arsehole must have collapsed after Saturday and that the wheels were already turning before Anton got us the win up in Inverness.

It was a bit of a thankless task for Anton with the squad he’d been left by Hopkin, but he certainly didn’t make life any easier for himself by sticking with players who obviously aren’t good enough at this level. If he does make a reacquaintance with Hopkin in the not-too-distant future, I hope he slaps it right into him that he managed more league wins than him. The last one minus a captain, who would rather clean up the piss and puke from last weekend’s debauchery.

11 hours ago, capitanus said:

Jim Duffy wasn't exactly first choice amongst Morton supporters at the time, and didn't get off to the best possible start.  But with the benefit of hindsight he was exactly what we needed, steadied the ship, got us promoted and gave us some of the most enjoyable times as a Morton supporter.   I see McPherson in a similar situation to Duffy, he won't be universally popular but he will do a decent job for us.

I couldn't honestly care what Killie supporters think of anyone or anything.  They are a bunch of fucktards.

The one thing I'll give McPherson credit for is that his team absolutely ran rings around Duffy when we lost to that amateur tinpot outfit in the Challenge Cup. A day capped by Duffy's insistence on using none of the famous width of the Hampden pitch but instead play narrow at all times when already losing. 

Given the reification Duffy has been given in recent days, we probably have a more competent manager now than we did then. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

12 hours ago, DreamOakTree said:

Hang on a minute! Over the last couple of weeks we’ve been under the impression on here that we’re imploding and nobody in MCT or the board give a monkeys where we end up. Now we bring in an experienced management duo and there’s widespread apathy! I felt the same as the majority but by that logic I didn’t see this coming. It’s quite a bold move, a good appointment and won’t come cheap. With the state we’ve been in it’s irrelevant that they had connections with our local rivals, and completely petty to even mention it. I’m pretty sure they’ll recognise quickly which players merit a starting place, and provide the tactics and formation that will best suit them. I came on here looking forward to a bit of unusual optimism. I should’ve known better!

Agree. 

Fair play. Given we have quite a bit less than no money... Anton was obviously a financially neutral way of nursing us through to the season and the takeover. 

A few decent results, but overall too many bad days against teams below us have put us into a genuine relegation battle. If only we'd drawn with Ayr and Arbroath rather than Hearts & Dundee... we'd have a bit more of a cushion. 

Happy enough to see an experienced management team in in and someone who could legitimately be a full time appointment if things turn out well enough over the remaining games.

If not, we'll see a short list of the usual suspects... Ian Murray, Brian Reid, Stephen Aitken etc. 

Credit to Anton for doing as well as he could. Not an easy job and we should be grateful for his efforts. 

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

The one thing I'll give McPherson credit for is that his team absolutely ran rings around Duffy when we lost to that amateur tinpot outfit in the Challenge Cup. A day capped by Duffy's insistence on using none of the famous width of the Hampden pitch but instead play narrow at all times when already losing. 

Given the reification Duffy has been given in recent days, we probably have a more competent manager now than we did then. 

Surely he deserves credit for getting St. Mirren out of the old First division and establishing them as an SPL side for several seasons afterwards.  The Fuddies came a bit unstuck when they replaced him with Danny Lennon.

*insert signature here*

Given that managing a basket case club like ours at the moment is probably not the job that most would aspire to I'm happy that somebody has recognised that an appointment was necessary. Pity it took so long.

Not thrilled with Gus or Andy but very happy to give them backing to see us through to the end of the season and wish them both success.

Best wishes to Anton for standing in, in an unenviable situation and trying his best. Hopefully Hopkin will transform Ayr into 1st Division non-entities with his unsurpassed ability to put a coherent squad together. 

1 hour ago, capitanus said:

Surely he deserves credit for getting St. Mirren out of the old First division and establishing them as an SPL side for several seasons afterwards.  The Fuddies came a bit unstuck when they replaced him with Danny Lennon.

Agree with this - hard to argue with what he achieved at St Mirren and at Queen’s Park over decent stretches. Hopefully QOTS was an exception.

Though from memory wasn’t it ditching Lennon for Craig that did for St Mirren?

2 hours ago, capitanus said:

Nobody at Saint Mirren deserves credit, ever. Next. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

5 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Given the "reification" Duffy has been given in recent days, we probably have a more competent manager now than we did then. 

Now VT I do realise that your opinions and grammar are of a very high standard....some might say fact based. But I'm thinking deification; not reification. And if losing a solitary match means that you have a superior manager then presumably Klopp is one of the poorer managers in the EPL?

I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad appointment - it’s potentially a quite decent one in the circumstances - but it’d be an understatement to call it a surprising one for various reasons.

It’s not the biggest issue as such, but is after 9pm on a Wednesday night when there’s two big Champions League ties on TV *really* the best way to announce such an unexpected appointment? I know we shouldn’t expect anything better, but still. 

The main issue with timing though is that it’s several months too late, but at least it’s happened eventually.

AWMSC

5 hours ago, vikingTON said:

And it would be fantastic if Gus is nominated for Scotland's Manager of the Year during his tenure at Cappielow. As Jim Duffy was. Just saying.

1 hour ago, FredtheRed said:

Now VT I do realise that your opinions and grammar are of a very high standard....some might say fact based. But I'm thinking deification; not reification. And if losing a solitary match means that you have a superior manager then presumably Klopp is one of the poorer managers in the EPL?

I'm reading this thinking it's pure defecation.  In fact you couldn't make any less sense even if you got a ball of shite and just rubbed it over your computer.

*insert signature here*

Archived