Match Preview/Thread - Inverness vs Morton (Championship 9th March) - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Inverness vs Morton (Championship 9th March)

Admin

1 hour ago, irnbru said:

I wouldn't be rushing to get Strapp back into the team. He's a great player but the defence looks solid and well balanced without him so not sure who'd be dropped to make space. 

For weeks the team has been suffering from sticking to the same lineup while better players couldn't get a look in: this is repeating the same mistake in a more ludicrous manner. 

One game does not make a 'solid' or 'well balanced' defence, and as soon as Strapp is fully fit again he should come in and McGinty should go out.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

For weeks the team has been suffering from sticking to the same lineup while better players couldn't get a look in: this is repeating the same mistake in a more ludicrous manner. 

One game does not make a 'solid' or 'well balanced' defence, and as soon as Strapp is fully fit again he should come in and McGinty should go out.

McGinty won't be dropped. 

The defence last night was all defensive minded players who rarely go over the halfway line but we've got wingers who rarely drop back to cover so that gives more balance and leaves less gaps. 

Strapp is clearly a better player than McGinty and will get back into the team but there's a difference between keeping a winning team after a decent performance and sticking with an under performing team not getting results. 

5 minutes ago, irnbru said:

McGinty won't be dropped. 

The defence last night was all defensive minded players who rarely go over the halfway line but we've got wingers who rarely drop back to cover so that gives more balance and leaves less gaps. 

Strapp is clearly a better player than McGinty and will get back into the team but there's a difference between keeping a winning team after a decent performance and sticking with an under performing team not getting results. 

The underperforming team started off as a winning team, which we gormlessly kept rolling with until oh look, no wins in ten matches. The idea that you somehow need to wait for a poor result before making an obvious upgrade to a starting lineup is nothing short of idiotic.

When Strapp is fit, Strapp plays because he is by far our most effective left back in the squad. It's really that straightforward. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The fact that we won last night with McGinty at LB is not a valid reason to leave out Strapp in the next game.  Basically the choice is which of McGinty, Mclean or Fjortoft should be rested.  I suspect the answer might be Mclean but just because McGinty is captain shouldn't make him an automatic pick if he's off form - which he has been recently.  The bottom line is that Strapp is our best left back - McGinty isn't.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

40 minutes ago, Alibi said:

The fact that we won last night with McGinty at LB is not a valid reason to leave out Strapp in the next game.  Basically the choice is which of McGinty, Mclean or Fjortoft should be rested.  I suspect the answer might be Mclean but just because McGinty is captain shouldn't make him an automatic pick if he's off form - which he has been recently.  The bottom line is that Strapp is our best left back - McGinty isn't.

Not arguing against the fact he's the best all round left back but at any level of football a manager has to make choices about the overall balance of the team. 

In last night's game we had four big, strong defenders who are good in the air, etc but don't get forward much. That let the wingers get higher up the park with Nesbitt and Mcguffie both looking good got the first time in ages (as opposed to just down one side or none). 

Unfortunately that approach can be effective and is why a lot of younger players like Strapp don't make it when bigger, stronger players with less footballing ability do. 

12 minutes ago, irnbru said:

Not arguing against the fact he's the best all round left back but at any level of football a manager has to make choices about the overall balance of the team. 

In last night's game we had four big, strong defenders who are good in the air, etc but don't get forward much. That let the wingers get higher up the park with Nesbitt and Mcguffie both looking good got the first time in ages (as opposed to just down one side or none). 

Unfortunately that approach can be effective and is why a lot of younger players like Strapp don't make it when bigger, stronger players with less footballing ability do. 

That would be a valid point if Inverness hadn't created anything last night, but at least three times Inverness created chances from attacking our left hand side, taking advantage of McGinty's lack of mobility. Inverness failing to taking advantage of the chances they created is absolutely not justification for starting McGinty in lieu of a better player.  

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

The fact that we'll probably be made poorer at centre back by Strapp coming back in because McGinty won't be dropped isn't actually an argument against picking Strapp; it's an argument for dropping McGinty and persisting with Fjortoft and McLean as a partnership rather than dropping Fjortoft as we all expect.

Just because we expect a manager to make a decision doesn't mean we shouldn't argue for something we think is better - while we expect McGinty to keep his place, our best back four at the moment is pretty clearly Strapp - McLean - Fjortoft - Ledger. As well as the clean sheet, it was notable how much better our distribution from centre back was with McLean and Fjortoft.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

46 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

The fact that we'll probably be made poorer at centre back by Strapp coming back in because McGinty won't be dropped isn't actually an argument against picking Strapp; it's an argument for dropping McGinty and persisting with Fjortoft and McLean as a partnership rather than dropping Fjortoft as we all expect.

Just because we expect a manager to make a decision doesn't mean we shouldn't argue for something we think is better - while we expect McGinty to keep his place, our best back four at the moment is pretty clearly Strapp - McLean - Fjortoft - Ledger. As well as the clean sheet, it was notable how much better our distribution from centre back was with McLean and Fjortoft.

The main point for me is the distribution from the centre backs tbf. 

They get more time on the ball than most and when McGinty is in there his long balls just put us under pressure since most of them give possession away. 

2 hours ago, irnbru said:

Aye because Strapp is the epitome of a 'modern day full-back' who bombs up the pitch but can't really defend. And his lack of strength has been exposed so often in his time at the club.

Idiot found. 

47 minutes ago, irnbru said:

The main point for me is the distribution from the centre backs tbf. 

They get more time on the ball than most and when McGinty is in there his long balls just put us under pressure since most of them give possession away. 

Then maybe McGinty should be kindly thanked for his contribution in a makeshift role last night, but punted to the bench once the team is at full-strength: because this is a professional football team and not a village social club outfit.

image.png

Leaving Strapp out the team to shoehorn McGinty in (playing out of position) is daft. I know it's horses for courses, but let's not get ridiculous.  Who is the best choice for Dunfermline away? And for Queens at home the week after? Actually that latter game in particular is made for Strapp's long throw ins as the Queens central defence is I think still a weak link, so "every throw in = a corner" will probably be a worthwhile tactic.  Having out of form mediocrities as must picks instead of picking our best XI to start is why were aren't still in 4th place.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

2 hours ago, BishopBrennan said:

Let's take a moment to reflect on David Hopkin deciding that five defenders was more than enough for this season, leaving us to have this fucking ridiculous discussion.

Indeed. I wouldn't object to the idea of replacing Strapp with a more defensive option or someone similar to Ledger on the other side in some games and playing a deeper line of four, but we don't have anyone who can do it so it's a moot point really.

Only having one dedicated full-back in your squad is just criminal, the squad Hopkin assembled is as poor an example of management as you could ever hope to find.

AWMSC

4 hours ago, Alibi said:

Leaving Strapp out the team to shoehorn McGinty in (playing out of position) is daft. I know it's horses for courses, but let's not get ridiculous.  Who is the best choice for Dunfermline away? And for Queens at home the week after? Actually that latter game in particular is made for Strapp's long throw ins as the Queens central defence is I think still a weak link, so "every throw in = a corner" will probably be a worthwhile tactic.  Having out of form mediocrities as must picks instead of picking our best XI to start is why were aren't still in 4th place.

On the Strapp long throw, how many goals have we actually scored from it? Thistle last season, Jim at Dunfermline this season was a clearance from one so could count that, any more? 1 a season isn't great considering we try it at least 5/6 times a game. We'd be as well playing it short and crossing it, we have a much better return with cross balls than than the long throw.

6 minutes ago, Madton said:

On the Strapp long throw, how many goals have we actually scored from it? 

Was wondering that myself and I can't remember more than a couple. Maybe mixing it up a bit until we discover the next Ronaldo might pay dividends.

18 minutes ago, Madton said:

On the Strapp long throw, how many goals have we actually scored from it? Thistle last season, Jim at Dunfermline this season was a clearance from one so could count that, any more? 1 a season isn't great considering we try it at least 5/6 times a game. We'd be as well playing it short and crossing it, we have a much better return with cross balls than than the long throw.

I'd say a lot of that is down to our strikers being absolutely terrible. 

The long throw also wins a fair amount of corners and forces the opposition to sit deep and defend the throw as if it were a corner, generating more pressure (which we don't do anything with, because we're rubbish in the box).

3 hours ago, Madton said:

I was wondering that myself.

Erik Paartalu took endless long throws and we scored nothing from them. In fact, I’m sure someone took the ball off him late in a game at Scapa and we scored from their not-so-long throw in.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

17 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Erik Paartalu took endless long throws and we scored nothing from them. In fact, I’m sure someone took the ball off him late in a game at Scapa and we scored from their not-so-long throw in.

Aye, think it was Greacen that took it off him.

6 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

We scored once from a Paartalu long throw, v ICT in the League Cup game at Cappielow which went to extra time. Unlike Strapp, who can loop them up or fizz them in with pace, Paartalu's were always high, slow and floaty, making them very hard for an attacker to do anything with and very easy to defend. Still could be useful for picking up second balls on the edge of the box from them, as in Finlayson at Firhill, but hopeless if you were expecting someone to score a header.

The game you're thinking of was when we came back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2 with QOS. We were in the 93rd or 94th minute, we'd already had three or four in a row being cleared back out for more throw-ins by the first man, and the ball landed about 5 yards short of the line - Paartalu let it run out for another throw rather than taking a touch and putting a cross in. At that point Greacen came charging out of the box to take the throw himself, told Paartalu where to stand and put it right on his head, he flicked on for Weatherson who got the equaliser.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Archived