Match Preview/Thread - Inverness vs Morton (Championship 9th March) - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Inverness vs Morton (Championship 9th March)

Admin

image.png

Next stop on the Anton McElhone Promotion Express is 5th.

(In seriousness, either Ayr or ICT could pick up point(s) from their games in hand but that was a massive result today that buys us significant breathing room ahead of 10th, which needs to be the aim at the moment.)

Just now, SpoonTon said:

Such a relief to finally get a win. Important if we have found someone to play the forward role a bit better, but it absolutely shows the importance of keeping a clean sheet. 

Hopefully the team is buzzing after that and it will give them a bit more belief. 

I managed to get the stream back on just as the game was ending, the reaction of the players seemed to be one of relief as much as anything, but they celebrated as a team. That augurs well.

Absolutely massive result after the weekend, as much of a bounce-back as one could ask for.

Colville needs a new deal, Sterling needs to start at the weekend.

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how it's possible for so many teams to be so shit.

That was massive though. Wins will be few and far between. Some shift for Sterling and the midfield as well.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Just now, TRVMP said:

Glad I missed that tbh. I'd have had a heart attack.

I was a little bit sick in my mouth tbh.

That's an absolutely massive three points. ICT confirmed as in the relegation shite, a goal for Nesbitt which will hopefully spur him on, a midfield to persist with and Sterling looking good. We've given ourselves a fighting chance now.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

7 minutes ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

Shot from 25-30 yds out hit the bar and rebounds to Toderov who heads home only to be flagged offside amidst me going mental.

I was on the floor, head in my hands, for a good 5 seconds before I looked up and noticed that it had been chopped off.

Anyway, the importance of that win cannot be understated. Rode our luck at times, but I think we deserved the win. As others have said, Sterling's role in the last 10-15 minutes was huge, intelligent football.

This dog ain't dead yet.

Massively unexpected, especially up there and a brilliant job holding out, the heart in mouth moment expected.

Play your better players, win games of football. It's not fucking rocket science.

Massive result to keep ahead of Alloa. Still big danger of 9th but we have something to try and build on. 

On to Dunfermline. Doubt Anton can pull the same result against them again but the fact he is more than likely to stick with the same team gives us a chance.

Great result and a decent performance in testing conditions. The boys that came in all contributed and deserve to be starting the next game. Having Salkeld, Muirhead and Blues sitting in the stands is the way forward.

8 minutes ago, RealTonKid said:

I hope Anton keeps this team from now on. Apart from Strapp, that's the lineup we were hoping to see. Kaz has been given an opportunity and shown that he can make a difference.

Can't see McGinty being dropped so will be interesting to see if Strapp gets straight back in. McLean and Fjortoft looked solid enough tonight and wouldn't be dropping any of them. 

Also think Ledger is pretty solid. Goes unnoticed and isn't too flashy but he's been a decent signing. 

As well as the deserved plaudits being given to Colville, Sterling and Nesbitt, I thought McGuffie was excellent again. Some run of form he's on.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Thought Sterling and Lyon were brilliant. Lyon is so good at picking the ball deep and driving 40-50 yards taking us up the park  How Blues has been favoured over him I'll never know. Sterling can potentially be the difference between 9th and a comfortable finish. A natural centre forward, good movement, hold up play and dangerous, again, why hasn't he been starting? 

Colville excellent again and Nesbitt took his goal very well. Think he will know himself how poor he has been so credit for putting in a performance tonight.

Must say, back 4 looked very comfortable. Big Sean did a very good job at left back. 

We are a strange lot, we can go to Inverness and Dunfermline and win, draw at Tynecastle yet get beat at home to Ayr and Arbroath. 

Same performance on Saturday. Win that and suddenly top 4 becomes realistic again.

I thought we looked pretty solid throughout. Mcadams is a good gk at this level. The defence played well with both centre backs winning a lot of headers and both full backs played well. Fair play to mcginty who didn't look out of place. The midfield worked well too. Lyon, Jacobs and Colville are absolutely our strongest 3 and mcguffie and nesbitt played well too. The former has been impressive since he got a run Inthe team. Also good to see nesbitt scoring a good goal. Sterling was motm for me. He worked his arse off and gave the ict defence lots to think about. Same again in Saturday please Anton. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

The players dug deep and I hope they understand the support is 100% behind them.  They're stuck in the middle of a shitstorm and their reaction at full time spoke volumes.   No issue with them at all this season, they've been let down by those higher up.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

For me dunning is pretty spot on more often than most tf someone knows what there talking about!!! 

Wee McG has been put up against it with recent signing and tonight he was excellent again instrumental in the goal and always forward thinking. 

Good wee player!!!

Well said Largston I imagine some players do read this and think wtf and some have a right brass neck in up voting it!!!!!!

JTA

Ultimately most of the support including myself were wanting change in the starting line up and surprise surprise...its cilla here ....and theres a change in the result!!!🤩

I think the boy on the podcast who was like myself but said publicly surely a guy from spurs was a better option can take a bow and look forward to a...I told you so on the podcast🤗

You can hear the passion in McElhone's voice here. Much like the players: leave all the circumstances aside, leave all the ideal-world thinking aside and just focus on the now - if you do that, you can never accuse the guy of not caring. You can tell he needed this tonight, and he got it.

He's right about McGuffie and Sterling, and he singles out Lyon on getting the ball on the deck and moving with it. Hopefully this continues, and I think there's a spark of improvement here in the changed line-up that he can work with.

Hopefully this is a corner turned. He says he've got to take something from the Pars game and from the QoS game. I don't disagree. Even four points out of those and we've really bought ourselves a bit of security. 

EOho8Pw.png

I got a text from Alexton which read “Yes!!!”, then one that read “Nesbitt”. That was when I discovered my paid-for stream was about a minute behind the vipleague stream...

Brilliant result and surely we will start with our strongest team from now on. Lyon made a huge difference. Just bring Strapp in at LB and we’re sorted.

inverness actually look as if they could go down. Haven’t lost to them this season and got them at home in a few weeks. They really are nothing special. Pissed away their games in hand.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

5 hours ago, TRVMP said:

You can hear the passion in McElhone's voice here. Much like the players: leave all the circumstances aside, leave all the ideal-world thinking aside and just focus on the now - if you do that, you can never accuse the guy of not caring. You can tell he needed this tonight, and he got it.

He's right about McGuffie and Sterling, and he singles out Lyon on getting the ball on the deck and moving with it. Hopefully this continues, and I think there's a spark of improvement here in the changed line-up that he can work with.

Hopefully this is a corner turned. He says he've got to take something from the Pars game and from the QoS game. I don't disagree. Even four points out of those and we've really bought ourselves a bit of security. 

Don't think his team selections have been particularly great but he does come across well.

I like the way he's more positive about picking up points and winning games too. It's refreshing after listening to the likes of Alloa being talked up by Hopkin when it came across that we'd be lucky to get anything out of games. 

1 hour ago, Alibi said:

I got a text from Alexton which read “Yes!!!”, then one that read “Nesbitt”. That was when I discovered my paid-for stream was about a minute behind the vipleague stream...

Brilliant result and surely we will start with our strongest team from now on. Lyon made a huge difference. Just bring Strapp in at LB and we’re sorted.

inverness actually look as if they could go down. Haven’t lost to them this season and got them at home in a few weeks. They really are nothing special. Pissed away their games in hand.

I wouldn't be rushing to get Strapp back into the team. He's a great player but the defence looks solid and well balanced without him so not sure who'd be dropped to make space. 

2 hours ago, Alibi said:

Just bring Strapp in at LB and we’re sorted.

McGinty won't be dropped. So if Strapp comes straight back in it'd be Fjortoft out, McGinty back into the centre and Strapp on the left. A reshuffle then.

Let's just go same again regardless of whether Strapp is ready.

Archived