Match Preview/Thread - Inverness vs Morton (Championship 9th March) - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Inverness vs Morton (Championship 9th March)

Admin

b049a7ec-9e87-4559-9f91-37024a7e15f8.jpg

Our match preview and thread is brought to you in association with The Inverclyde Boiler Company and The Inverclyde Bathroom Company. We are extremely proud to serve the Inverclyde community 💙

BetBuildermorton.jpg

Our match preview and thread is brought to you in association with McBookie and their new BetBuilder feature. Keep your eyes across our socials for our recommended BetBuilder bet! 

dunnottar_retro_4.jpg

Our match preview and thread is brought to you in association with Dunnottar Retro Football Shirts. They are currently offering a 20% discount to all return customers when you tag their Twitter account (@TheDunnottarRFS) in a photo of yourself wearing anything from the Dunnottar range. You can visit them on www.dunnottar.scot. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoping for a surprise win here.  They're no world beaters; just a big strong bunch of caber tossers.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I'd go as far as saying that if we don't win tonight, any chance of finishing 8th is gone. While the points gap to Arbroath, ICT  and Ayr will remain an entirely realistic one to close on a glance at the table, there's simply no way wins are going to come to do it if we come out of this run of three games with no wins. The absolute minimum acceptable return from a run of Dundee at home, Ayr at home & ICT away would be 5 points, and that would have been disappointing - it now can't be achieved.

In a 36 game season it's extremely hard for a team to overcome as bad a run as 11 games without a win:- the last time we had that was in 00/01 and we were relegated in 9th place. In a 27 game season it's going to be fatal. We simply have to win tonight to stay up, but this team has absolutely no idea how to win. If they take a lead they know they can't hold it - we've been ahead in five of our six draws in this winless run , with the other being 0-0 - and if they go behind they know they're beaten.

If there's any cause for optimism it's that ICT are the one team who've contrived to be ahead against us and not see out the win in this run, against 10 men no less, but I fully expect us to capitulate if we go behind this time.

A competent manager would be getting McGinty, Blues, Nesbitt and Salkeld out the starting XI after their horrendous performances recently but any notion that McElhone has the slightest idea what he's doing vanished with those substitutions on Saturday. I've genuinely never been so taken aback by a managerial decision, that double sub was the worst decision I've ever seen a manager make during a game.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

18 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

I'd go as far as saying that if we don't win tonight, any chance of finishing 8th is gone. While the points gap to Arbroath, ICT  and Ayr will remain an entirely realistic one to close on a glance at the table, there's simply no way wins are going to come to do it if we come out of this run of three games with no wins. The absolute minimum acceptable return from a run of Dundee at home, Ayr at home & ICT away would be 5 points, and that would have been disappointing - it now can't be achieved.

In a 36 game season it's extremely hard for a team to overcome as bad a run as 11 games without a win:- the last time we had that was in 00/01 and we were relegated in 9th place. In a 27 game season it's going to be fatal. We simply have to win tonight to stay up, but this team has absolutely no idea how to win. If they take a lead they know they can't hold it - we've been ahead in five of our six draws in this winless run , with the other being 0-0 - and if they go behind they know they're beaten.

If there's any cause for optimism it's that ICT are the one team who've contrived to be ahead against us and not see out the win in this run, against 10 men no less, but I fully expect us to capitulate if we go behind this time.

A competent manager would be getting McGinty, Blues, Nesbitt and Salkeld out the starting XI after their horrendous performances recently but any notion that McElhone has the slightest idea what he's doing vanished with those substitutions on Saturday. I've genuinely never been so taken aback by a managerial decision, that double sub was the worst decision I've ever seen a manager make during a game.

I'd disagree with that. I'd take a draw tonight. IMO, the target is Arbroath. I know they have had an excellent run of form and I might look silly quite quickly if they bounce back from Saturday's defeat, but our hope is that their form turns again. A draw tonight leave us just a point behind them, and they have a couple of tricky games coming up. There is a chance there, if we're lucky. 

That being said, I have no confidence of achieving anything, other than potentially holding off Alloa, under McElhone. So I'd probably take the point just to move one more clear of Alloa more than anything else.  

I don't think tonight's game is a must win.  The must win games are those against Alloa and (particularly) Arbroath.  Arbroath have played a game more than us and are only 2 points ahead, so a win tonight would get us above them right away.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Tele reporting that Strapp is out tonight. Muirhead at left back it is then.

While the board are obviously a far bigger issue, when the takeover is complete and lifetime bans from Cappielow are being dished out to the powers that be at Golden Casket for what they've done, Hopkin should get one too for the absolute mess he's caused with his ridiculous recruitment. McElhone bears responsibility for that too, of course.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Hopkin should be banned from Cappielow??. What are you talking about? That would be the guy who has been a lifetime Morton supporter and shelled money out of his own pocket for catering and transport and then resigned to try and save a few jobs. Maybe we should ban dafties like you. An infinitely better idea methinks. 

People who say "methinks" want their hard drive checked.

Anyway, this is a test of team spirit tonight as much as anything else. A draw shouldn't be considered out of the realms of possibility.

EOho8Pw.png

McAdams

Ledger Fjortoft McLean McGinty

Jacobs Lyon

McGuffie Oliver Colville 

Sterling

McGinty at LB not ideal, but think having a defender there against ICT is a better bet than chucking Muirhead in the deep end again. Another alternative being trying the 3/5 at the back again with Muirhead or Salkeld at LWB.

McAdams

Fjortoft McLean McGinty

Ledger Jacobs Lyon Muirhead

McGuffie Colville

Sterling

1 hour ago, FredtheRed said:
methinks
/mɪˈθɪŋks/

verb
•HUMOROUS
  1. it seems to me

Struggling with the dictionary Trumpy? And aye a draw would be decent. Methinks unlikely though.

Trump and the rest of us know the meaning of methinks.

The problem isn't the word itself, it's more about the type of twat that uses it in a football forum.

I'm hoping however unlikely for an unexpected 3 points on a otherwise shite birthday.

I see the second  ball off Inverness as key. The last 2 matches we got very little second ball in the opponents half of the pitch. We need to press higher up the pitch as a team and hopefully we can capitalise much more when the ball drops in more dangerous areas.

I like the 3-4-2-1 but as has been said in the podcast...with so little time to work on that formation it could be a car crash.

Mon eh Ton!!!!

Every so often we raise our game & get a win when least expected. Parkhead in the 27 corners game. I live in hope that tonight’s the night. But will only happen if Lyon, Jacobs & Colville are in the team.

Archived