Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Ayr (Championship 6th March) - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Ayr (Championship 6th March)

Admin

20 minutes ago, Toby said:

The team itself being League One level at best isn’t the issue for me. Teams come and go, but the malaise at the club is such that we’re headed for a generation of League One and League Two football in front of 700 crowds with 1-0 midweek defeats at Kelty Hearts becoming the norm.

The club is being suffocated by poor forward planning by Dougie, and neglect by his son.

This is the legacy, and it fucking stinks.

I can't dispute that Toby and this slide to complete irrelevance is the real legacy of the Rae family - anyone who can't see this is either blind, stupid, both or a Rae.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TaunTon said:

I can't dispute that Toby and this slide to complete irrelevance is the real legacy of the Rae family - anyone who can't see this is either blind, stupid, both or a Rae.

While MCT have representatives on the board, they cannot be absolved of any responsibility either.

1 minute ago, Cet Homme Charmant said:

While MCT have representatives on the board, they cannot be absolved of any responsibility either.

Aye, I want some answers from MCT, here. Never mind a wee red dot when I say that you fancy a club blazer and tie this time, some actual answers as to what pressure will be put on the outgoing owner and how MCT actually plan using the position of strength they have by being the only show in town.

And yes, I’m looking at you, @EdinTon.

2 MCT board members have zero influence in a lickspittle subservient board. Pretending they can change it is disingenuous. This is Rae's ball and his responsibility.

24 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

If the Raes are in charge then survival this season means Clydebank levels of performance next season instead. Until that cancer is removed it does not matter what level we're playing in. 

Problem is, if the takeover does go ahead this summer, it's the worst possible time to be relegated. Relegation is always a possibility for a club of our stature and we need to have the resilience to deal with it, but if MCT are planning to restructure the club to get rid of the Rae tuck shop mentality and turn us into a proper football club then they really need a couple of seasons as a Championship club to start off with to carry out that restructuring and get a proper professional backroom staff in place. They're not getting the chance to do that if they're starting off in League One and the immediate priority is avoiding turning into or Airdrie or Clyde rather than consolidating in the Championship.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

33 minutes ago, irnbru said:

A caretaker with no experience isn't going to cut it here either. MCT have members on the board. We should be starting the recruitment process now for a manager. 

I agree. A caretaker with no experience, who wasn't even interested in the job, is what we have already. It hasn't cut it and it won't cut it. 

At this rate we won't even get to 25 points. After today's performance, giving up 10 without a win, it doesn't look like it could get worse. When was the last time that we went 11 without a win in a season at this level?

12 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

Problem is, if the takeover does go ahead this summer, it's the worst possible time to be relegated. Relegation is always a possibility for a club of our stature and we need to have the resilience to deal with it, but if MCT are planning to restructure the club to get rid of the Rae tuck shop mentality and turn us into a proper football club then they really need a couple of seasons as a Championship club to start off with to carry out that restructuring and get a proper professional backroom staff in place. They're not getting the chance to do that if they're starting off in League One and the immediate priority is avoiding turning into or Airdrie or Clyde rather than consolidating in the Championship.

If a takeover happens this summer then we'll be a shambles next season for entirely different reasons. We have a board, a chief executive and a manager to appoint, before we even determine on a budget and think about the current squad or new signings. Unless there's some pre-packed deal in place by the end of April then we'll spend most of the summer in limbo, the whole of next season struggling and if we went down then that's on MCT's watch alone for a debut season. 

It's better - i.e. less bad - for MCT to take over after that hit is out of the way, work from a hybrid full/part time model to begin with and find their feet at a fundamentally less competitive and challenging level. I wouldn't expect us to be automatic promotion contenders (though not out of the question if things went well) but that's the reality. Things are not going to turn around in a single close season, this needs a serious rebuild. And any prospective owner of the club has to find a way to operate in the third tier because relegation from the second cannot be treated as a terminal disaster. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

25 minutes ago, TaunTon said:

2 MCT board members have zero influence in a lickspittle subservient board. Pretending they can change it is disingenuous. This is Rae's ball and his responsibility.

Disagree. It's incredible that representatives of the organisation in negotiation with the current incumbents to take over ownership, are sitting around the same board table with them. Astonishing, in fact. You don't cozy up with the same people you're supposed to be having hard-nosed negotiations with. As a result of this Crawford has taken them for mugs and undermined their credibility, sorry to say. 

17 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

I agree. A caretaker with no experience, who wasn't even interested in the job, is what we have already. It hasn't cut it and it won't cut it. 

At this rate we won't even get to 25 points. After today's performance, giving up 10 without a win, it doesn't look like it could get worse. When was the last time that we went 11 without a win in a season at this level?

If you include the two legs of the playoff, Jim Duffy did it in 16/17, hitting 12 including the first game of the next season. Keeping it pedantically to league games in the one season that was only 9 though.

If you don't count that, then it was 2000/01 when we went 11 in total - after beating Caley Thistle on 26 November we didn't win again until beating Falkirk on 27 March. Too little too late then, as any win this season will inevitably be if it doesn't happen on Tuesday night.

In 13/14 we had entirely separate runs 10 & 9 without a win, but never reached 11 although admittedly both had more defeats than the current 10 game shitfest.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

4 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

If you include the two legs of the playoff, Jim Duffy did it in 16/17, hitting 12 including the first game of the next season. Keeping it pedantically to league games in the one season that was only 9 though.

If you don't count that, then it was 2000/01 when we went 11 in total - after beating Caley Thistle on 26 November we didn't win again until beating Falkirk on 27 March. Too little too late then, as any win this season will inevitably be if it doesn't happen on Tuesday night.

In 13/14 we had entirely separate runs 10 & 9 without a win, but never reached 11 although admittedly both had more defeats than the current 10 game shitfest.

Yeah, I was being specific and looking for a single league season. The answer I was looking to get was indeed 00/01. When we were in administration, without a proper manager in charge, heading towards relegation and a takeover in time for the following season. 

Crawford looking to leave us exactly where his father found us. 

1 minute ago, LargsTON said:

If MCT don't have a substantial change of tact as a matter of urgency I'd urge everyone to force their hand by cancelling their donations.

Yep, I listened to capitanus for a good while and withheld from signing up to MCT, before excitedly joining in the wave they got in the summer when the imminent takeover was announced.

I’m reluctant to choke them, as, just like for Crawford, for us they’re the only show in town. I’ve also got an arrogant pride that we didn’t stand back and let our club die, unlike some others, and not signing up to MCT would be tantamount to that. But that doesn’t mean MCT are representing what I, and an increasing number of others think is best for our club.

If it means another year under the Raes in League One, and even a drop to League Two in order to get what is the best possible deal for Morton and the fans, then so be it, even if it harms the personal career ambitions of some involved. With a crowd inside Cappielow next season, I’d hope that Crawford would hate that scenario a lot more than any of us would.

10 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

If MCT don't have a substantial change of tact as a matter of urgency I'd urge everyone to force their hand by cancelling their donations.

Tbh I'm getting to that stage. I was all for it chipping in a few quid to the cause but all I've seen is the money pissed up a wall on shit signing after shit signing (kris doolan Billy King) the fk car crash of a first team squad we have now and the latest ringers to roll up a fkn unfit keeper and two guys that can't even get a look in ahead of the shit on show tells its own story. 

Enough is enough if there's no movement from MCT in the week ahead I'm out it's time to act unfortunately. 

It is now time for MCT to say they are walking away and withdrawing the offer and all assistance to Morton.

Its Rae who wants rid of Morton Call his bluff. Or let him keep it.

I'll never be back until he is gone.

JB

Power To The Powerless,

Strength Unto The Weak!

1 minute ago, Scott said:

I haven’t watched us for months but I assume the Spurs boy is utter shite as expected? 

I remember him getting one flick on with his head in the entire time he was on the park. Can’t really blame him because of the complete lack of service but you have to ask why a guy who signed 5 weeks ago has had such limited game time when the idea was that he’d propel us up the league?

Archived