Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Ayr (Championship 6th March) - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Ayr (Championship 6th March)

Admin

b049a7ec-9e87-4559-9f91-37024a7e15f8.jpg

Our match preview and thread is brought to you in association with The Inverclyde Boiler Company and The Inverclyde Bathroom Company. We are extremely proud to serve the Inverclyde community 💙

BetBuildermorton.jpg

Our match preview and thread is brought to you in association with McBookie and their new BetBuilder feature. Keep your eyes across our socials for our recommended BetBuilder bet! 

dunnottar_retro_4.jpg

Our match preview and thread is brought to you in association with Dunnottar Retro Football Shirts. They are currently offering a 20% discount to all return customers when you tag their Twitter account (@TheDunnottarRFS) in a photo of yourself wearing anything from the Dunnottar range. You can visit them on www.dunnottar.scot. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per the match preview, Ayr have just one win in 11 games, but punted Mark Kerr, so who even knows at this point?

A win here will give us some much-needed breathing room but I hesitate to call it must-win. It's definitely a must-not-lose, though.

EOho8Pw.png

Not making changes there is concerning. I’d have brought in at least a couple of Lyon, Fjortoft, Oliver & Sterling. Can’t really understand why we’d persist with Salkeld. The exact same problems are going to arise.

I reckon McElhone's approach just now is akin to the final days of John McCormack in charge. He doesn't know what his best team is, he's not identifying problems in performances and trying to address them with changes, he's just stumbling onto different line-ups and he'll persist with an XI until a defeat, at which point he'll change again. We haven't lost in the last two, so he's persisting with it despite the glaring weaknesses of Salkeld's inability to hold the ball up and Blues.

We have had improved performances with Jacobs back in, so hopefully another performance on that level is enough today.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Our three winter window signings have spent a combined total of 40 minutes on the pitch this season.

Coincidentally, the football has spent around 40 seconds on the pitch in this game, the rest of the time being launched into orbit by various center backs.

In fairness, as I typed that we started a really good attacking move down the left. Amazing what happens with some close, first-touch passing and running with the ball. So much more effective than hoofing it.

EOho8Pw.png

7 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Signing a keeper who told us himself on day one that he wasn’t ready to play is utterly farcical. 

I don't understand how he can still be so unfit he can't even sit on the bench, or for that matter why Wylie can't be on the bench since he's obviously not out on loan now with the WOSL suspendes. Surely in an emergency of McAdams getting injured or sent off during a game, having a goalkeeper who isn't fully match fit on the bench is less of a risk than having to put Muirhead or whoever in goal?

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

3 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

Our three winter window signings have spent a combined total of 40 minutes on the pitch this season.

Coincidentally, the football has spent around 40 seconds on the pitch in this game, the rest of the time being launched into orbit by various center backs.

In fairness, as I typed that we started a really good attacking move down the left. Amazing what happens with some close, first-touch passing and running with the ball. So much more effective than hoofing it.

A waste of MCT money.

Alloa 1-0 up.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Just now, bigB said:

A waste of MCT money.

In football as in life, it's profligates who complain constantly about how poor they are. The Morton BoD never shuts up about how they're in real financial bother and everyone needs to dig deep, but then they always seem to have a spare bob or two to sign some pointless regen. Funny, that.

Anyway, Ayr's right-back looks like a deer in headlights every time the ball comes near him. More runs down the left, please.

EOho8Pw.png

Arbroath 2-0 up on QoS.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Archived