Manager next season? - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Manager next season?

gmfc_craig

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, thehustler said:

Jim Duffy here. You keyboard warriors must be delighted that you got rid of me in order to progress "to the next level". What a bunch of tossers you are.ย 

Given that we've had three managers between then and now, and far more significantly we've stopped funding a full-time coaching team due to GC's reluctance to invest further in the club, I'm really not sure what kind of point you're making here. Is there a connection between replacing Duffy with McKinnon, and GC withdrawing funding? If not, this seems pretty irrelevant.

Also, I'm fairly certain it was the Board of Directors who binned Duffy, as opposed to the forum users.

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

Given that we've had three managers between then and now, and far more significantly we've stopped funding a full-time coaching team due to GC's reluctance to invest further in the club, I'm really not sure what kind of point you're making here. Is there a connection between replacing Duffy with McKinnon, and GC withdrawing funding? If not, this seems pretty irrelevant.

Also, I'm fairly certain it was the Board of Directors who binned Duffy, as opposed to the forum users.

Also, while this one is obviously 99% likely to beย worse, the two seasons we've hadย since Duffy's departure have seen us finish two places higher than his final season and then finish in the same position. The latter of those of course also had a significant cutย in theย budget, followed by the outright vandalism of this yearย which may have gotten in the way of Jim's usual tactic of signing ringers like Luke Donnelly and John Baird to shoehorn into the team at the expense of actual footballers.

It's possibly this great record that saw him move up in the world to such a prestigious job as, em, a Dumbarton side who are nearly as neglected off the park as Mortonย and achieve the dizzying heights of 6th in League One. I'm sure he's about to have his true talent recognised and find himself in an almighty tussle between Campย Nou and Anfield!

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

ย 

Bit unfair on me there I think. For sure we hadย a poorish end to my final season having been in the play off positions for most of it. But I did win a title; got us to a Hampden SF; a Scottish Cup QF. Since then we have been fighting relegation with the quality of player getting progressively worse. And now probably going full circle and will be back in the seaside leagues next season after 3 shambolic seasons since my departure. Anyway you are all doing a great job spouting your pish on this forum. Keep up the good work.ย 

42 minutes ago, thehustler said:

Bit unfair on me there I think. For sure we hadย a poorish end to my final season having been in the play off positions for most of it. But I did win a title; got us to a Hampden SF; a Scottish Cup QF. Since then we have been fighting relegation with the quality of player getting progressively worse. And now probably going full circle and will be back in the seaside leagues next season after 3 shambolic seasons since my departure. Anyway you are all doing a great job spouting your pish on this forum. Keep up the good work.ย 

And you think having a lower budget, allowing Duffy to sign even more ringers, would have us in any way better off?ย 

To be fair to thehustler he does make a compelling argument. There can be no doubt that Duffy was, by far, our most successful manager in recent times. His coaching by all accounts was excellent and he fostered an outstanding team spirit. He also produced some excellent results at places like Tannadice, Easter Rd and Ibrox. In addition the Championship was a much more competitive league than in recent seasons. Yet there was a strong feeling amongst regular forum posters that he shouldn't have been given the job in the first place. To my mind many of you attempted to hound him out of the job. I think thehustler is merely reminding you of your joy atย  a "no mark" like McKinnon being appointed. Sine then, along with Crawfords assistance, the team is much the poorer. I, for one, would much rather Duffy was inย charge rather than a fitness coach who reminds us that you have to score more goals than the opposition to win a match. Sadly we look like we are careering into the lower leagues and I seriously fear for the future of a club that I have been following for some 50 years.ย 

1 hour ago, thehustler said:

Blaming the fans for the current predicament is the mark of a next level idiot.

Rd;dh

ย 

I think he is stating the obvious.ย  A number of posters on this forum campaigned to get rid of Duffy and then the Raes. Well you succeeded. By default perhaps but succeeded nonetheless. Now we have a full time club offering wages of ยฃ200pw which is amply insufficient to attract decent quality players. We used to have a high quality playing surface and now it's a midden. We have a team devoid of ability albeit committed. We are struggling to compete with the two part time teams in the league. A previous poster demeaned Dumbarton FC but they are a far better run club than ourselves. It pains me to say that but it is the stark truth. So you posters can bump your gums as much as you like but you seem to me to be fantasists with little or no knowledge.

22 minutes ago, FredtheRed said:

There can be no doubt that MCINNES was, by far, ABERDEEN'S most successful manager in recent times. His coaching by all accounts was excellent and he fostered an outstanding team spirit. He also produced some excellent results at places like Tannadice, Easter Rd and Ibrox. In addition the Premiership was a much more competitive league...

Shelf life. Happens to the best of them.

Duffy's time was up. Making the change was the correct decision and hindsight with what came next doesn't change that.

4 minutes ago, FredtheRed said:

ย A previous poster demeaned Dumbarton FC but they are a far better run club than ourselves. It pains me to say that but it is the stark truth. So you posters can bump your gums as much as you like but you seem to me to be fantasists with little or no knowledge.

Would this be the same Dumbarton who are owned by property speculators, who rarely turn up for board meetings since their scheme to flog the ground for housing and get a new one built for them was kicked into touch six years' ago?ย 

A fantasist with no knowledge indeed!ย 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

ย 

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

55 minutes ago, FredtheRed said:

I think he is stating the obvious.ย  A number of posters on this forum campaigned to get rid of Duffy and then the Raes. Well you succeeded. By default perhaps but succeeded nonetheless. Now we have a full time club offering wages of ยฃ200pw which is amply insufficient to attract decent quality players. We used to have a high quality playing surface and now it's a midden. We have a team devoid of ability albeit committed. We are struggling to compete with the two part time teams in the league. A previous poster demeaned Dumbarton FC but they are a far better run club than ourselves. It pains me to say that but it is the stark truth. So you posters can bump your gums as much as you like but you seem to me to be fantasists with little or no knowledge.

I'm not sure what your point is. There was no major campaign to get rid of Duffy. That was a decision which was made, for whatever reason, at the very beginning of Crawford's reign. There was no real pressure for him to do it. It's fair to say that many fans had grown tired of Duffy's seasons which ran out of steam far too soon, and there was a feeling that things were starting to go backwards, but it wasn't like towards the end of other managers reigns (like McInally or Moore) and he still remained relatively popular among the support (as these things go). Crawford is still the chairman of the club, and the state of the club, the team, and the playing surface are down to the management of the club (over the long and short term). And the single biggest criticism of the Raes over the years has been a lack of planning for the future. Too many expensive, short-term decisions, leaving the club with future problems.ย 

There's not really a defence which says, 'sorry about the state of the team, the club, and the pitch, but remember that time we paid about ยฃ80k for Chris Templemen to fail to win promotion from the third tier - doesn't that make it all worth it?'ย 

The beginning and the end of the 'three year plan' has done more to the club than any managerial appointment. We're effectively no longer a professional club. While getting a manager in now could see us pull off a great escape, it's still papering over the cracks.

EOho8Pw.png

7 minutes ago, FredtheRed said:

SpoonTon clearly doesnt possess a very long memory....but a response from the much vaunted,ย admired and intelligent VT. Now that is a badge of honour.ย 

My memories jibe with those of ST, but I'm open to the possibility that I'm wrong. I looked back at the thread from when Duffy got binned, though, and these posts don't strike me as ones from people who'd been campaigning:

Duffy Sacked - According To The Sun - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com

A few people do have their grave-dancing shoes on but others are much more equivocal.

Bear in mind, this was at a time when we'd just finished 7th, and then - unlike now - we were still paying professional wages to a management team and to a full playing squad. It was hardly unthinkable that 7th wasn't the height of our ambitions, particularly given that 7th is still theoretically within reach even when we don't have a manager and have only four-fifths of a squad.

Any calls for Duffy to be emptied - and I freely admit to having been part of these, and being wrong in doing so - were very early on in his tenure when we were treading water in the third tier. Around November (I think?) that year Duffy's methods started to click and the rest is history - he got us promoted and life in the Championship got off to a fine start. Those (like me) who didn't think he was capable of that had to eat some humble pie. But that doesn't change the fact that, in 2018, we had slid backwards from those heights.

Overall Duffy's tenure was a good one, I have fond memories of it, but his time was up.

EOho8Pw.png

6 hours ago, FredtheRed said:

I never campaigned to get rid of him. I just thought he was rubbish. Only my opinion of course. I do agree that his replacements have also been rank. That doesnโ€™t mean he was good in any way.

I just love winding you all up. Duffy is fortunate to no longer be there. However the level of debate on here has considerably worsened over the years. There used to be some quality posters on here like David Edwards who had something sensible to contribute. Now it seems like a plethora of wee boys pretending to beย tactical experts. Heyho....I guess this forum mirrors the fortunes of the team. And with that I'll sign off and you can all get back to picking your team and formation of. Mon the Ton!

19 minutes ago, FredtheRed said:

I just love winding you all up. Duffy is fortunate to no longer be there. However the level of debate on here has considerably worsened over the years. There used to be some quality posters on here like David Edwards who had something sensible to contribute. Now it seems like a plethora of wee boys pretending to beย tactical experts. Heyho....I guess this forum mirrors the fortunes of the team. And with that I'll sign off and you can all get back to picking your team and formation of. Mon the Ton!

I must have missed that one.ย  :lol:

*insert signature here*

Archived