Manager next season? - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Manager next season?

gmfc_craig

This may be controversial but thoughts on Shelley Kerr or Andy Millen taking the reigns at Cappielow. 

Kerr may be seen as a "tick box exercise" because she's a woman, but I think is extremely capable of managing in the men's game.

Andy Millen left his post as Kilmarnock coach after appointment of Tommy Wright. He won't take any nonsense and by all accounts is a very good coach (I know that's not always a pre cursor that he'll be a good manager) 

Thoughts?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kerr’s clearly a capable coach but the feeling for a long time was she’d held the Women’s team back, not to mention the capitulation at least year’s tournament. If she wants to apply fine, but it’s a completely different kettle of fish. 

I suspect we’ll offer the role to Millar, and if he wants it, he’ll get it. 

Andy Millen can fuck off down to a cellular level.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

2 nopes from me. 

Kerr made an arse of it with Scotland and millen can get to fuck. 

Heard a few folk mention its millars job if he wants it. Not entirely sure what he's done to merit it although if be interested to see how he uses his contacts in the game if he did get it. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I can see us trying to go for a typical 'safe pair of hands' type experienced appointment.

With the club undergoing a massive transition off the pitch that'll see upheaval in lots of non-playing roles, then with a huge rebuild of the squad required it might be viewed as more risky than usual to go with a first time manager, whether that's Millar or someone else. We don't know yet what MCT's plans are, if they're going to go with some sort of Director of Football type model or just leave the manager with near total control, but either way there's an argument that you want to be sure you've got someone who knows what they're doing rather than ending up with a James Grady figure and starting MCT's ownership with a humiliating relegation.

Obviously there are a lot managers who fit that experienced mould who'd be a recipe for disaster - let's hope John Hughes is still employed come the summer - but I could see them deciding that on balance a middling Jim McIntyre type for at least the first season is preferable to a gamble on a first time appointment like Millar or a left field option like a Gregg Ryder.

All things considered, that leaves one outstanding candidate.

Brian Wake v thistle.jpg

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

4 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

interested to see how he uses his contacts in the game if he did get it. 

I like Millar, but agree that there's nothing to suggest he should get it.

Not sure what's so special about Millar's contacts compared to literally any manager we have had or have been linked to?

Think we need a fresh start, new manager with his own team. If the new man decides to keep Midge on, then great, think it would be good to have some sort of continuity too.

Still concerned with our budget constraints. Are we going to increase our budget to make it desirable for a new manager? By all accounts, the budget was really poor this season.  Running on fumes at the moment and we need a new kitman, manager, CEO, goalkeeper coach etc.  Can MCT afford that and make us competitive on the park?

Hope to feck MCT works but I've got concerns.Hopefully some existing members increase their contribution and we attract more members once we are Rae free. Surely we can get to a thousand.

Staying up is absolutely crucial.

I wasn't convinced by Kerr's Scotland in the end. She's worth consideration as much as many other of the names that will be mentioned, or moreso in many cases, but it feels like a big risk given the situation we'll be in.

I think a Jim Duffy type appointment would be sensible. Someone who knows Scottish football, knows how clubs work, can get on with the job, will be on board with the realities of the new ownership model while not being a complete diddy. 

I can think of a few candidates, but probably none that will be very popular on here!

1 hour ago, SpoonTon said:

I wasn't convinced by Kerr's Scotland in the end. She's worth consideration as much as many other of the names that will be mentioned, or moreso in many cases, but it feels like a big risk given the situation we'll be in.

I think a Jim Duffy type appointment would be sensible. Someone who knows Scottish football, knows how clubs work, can get on with the job, will be on board with the realities of the new ownership model while not being a complete diddy. 

I can think of a few candidates, but probably none that will be very popular on here!

Jim Duffy would be a safe pair of hands to get us back on track but if we could get Jim McIntyre who has been out of the game for a while and will have no doubt a hunger to get back in could be a better option.

5 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

I like Millar, but agree that there's nothing to suggest he should get it.

Not sure what's so special about Millar's contacts compared to literally any manager we have had or have been linked to?

Aye to your right mate. To be honest I was more thinking of the Chelsea connection with jody Morris but forgot he'd been punted with lampard. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

5 minutes ago, TaunTon said:

Whoever we pick, he/she has to be able to put a side on that can bring folk back to Cappielow. Jim Duffy is not that person.

How so? Jim Duffy’s spell is undeniably the best we’ve had in recent years. He had his flaws but certainly whilst he was here, it was the most enjoyable time I’ve had as a Morton supporter. 

1 hour ago, Scott said:

How so? Jim Duffy’s spell is undeniably the best we’ve had in recent years. He had his flaws but certainly whilst he was here, it was the most enjoyable time I’ve had as a Morton supporter. 

Mostly because every other one has been absolutely fuckin terrible.

AWMSC

Don't  see Miller being the main man.

As budgets will still be limited opportunity for player coach?

Any decent players who have started their coaching badges on the horizon, Tam O Ware did a fair bit of shouting when in the team ?

In truth not that excited by this feel we just need to make sure we stay in the championship.

Archived