Fan Poll - MCT Consultation Survey - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Fan Poll - MCT Consultation Survey

Admin

Cappielow/Car Park Ownership  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Following on from MCT's fan consultation, which option would you prefer out of the two that MCT presented, and a 'no deal' scenario?

• Option 1 - GC write off the debt and retain ownership of Cappielow and the carpark, leasing both back to MCT.
    • Option 2 - The debt remains, GC take ownership of the carpark and hand over ownership of Cappielow to MCT.
    • Option 3 - I don't find either of these deals satisfactory.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GiGi said:

Looking like a lose-lose for MCT and win-win for Crawford and GC. Write off the debt and walk away.

Agreed.  Their debt is not the fans responsibility.  We've already absolved them of their responsibilities this season.  They've a fucking cheek.  I would confidently predict that MCT would go from strength to strength with the severing of all ties as hundreds more would be willing to stump up, myself included.  

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Ownership of the stadium and car park immediately or, at last, a written agreement that it is transferred into MCT if we still own the club in 2 years. 

They can absolutely ram any idea of holding onto the debt up their arse.

1 hour ago, piehutt said:

I'd personally like to see a poll with just the two options on the table. 

Appreciate everything is a negotiation, but we are obviously nearing the planned takeover date and possibly further away from a deal now than when the takeover was originally announced. 

Crikey, that's like a Communist era voting slip.  Two candidates, both aligned to the party to give a sense of democratic choice.  Both options are sub-optimal.  Therefore we need MCT to play a bit of hardball to either come up with a new solution or negotiate the £2m fantasy football running costs, that are the only remaining legacy of the previous chairman, down to a more reasonable level.

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

1 hour ago, piehutt said:

Appreciate everything is a negotiation, but we are obviously nearing the planned takeover date and possibly further away from a deal now than when the takeover was originally announced. 

The whole point of having a poll with three options is to gauge how many people aren't satisfied with either option on the table, which just having the two options wouldn't show.

The results on here, on twitter and on Facebook suggest that the comfortable majority view is that neither option is acceptable.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

2 hours ago, piehutt said:

The only party responsible for that distance emerging is Golden Casket, doing their level best to run the football club into the ground over the past 18 months if not more. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, steveoath said:

I want a redo, I misread the poll😵

Sorry, your vote is binding and we'll invoice you shortly.

Yours aye,

Crawford Rae

8 hours ago, piehutt said:

Unless MCT have signed some legally binding memorandum to this effect, they do not need to pick one of the two options. And given that the second option was only presented after the first was agreed in principle, it's pretty unlikely that they can be locked into one of these two paths.

A very wise man once said that a key to success in business is never being afraid to walk away from the negotiating table. Various Rae-aligned weirdos (like you) are trying to run out the clock here when the reality is MCT can say "nah" at any time.

EOho8Pw.png

Thank you to everyone who voted in our poll. Here are the results - 

I've cancelled out duplicate votes where fans have voted twice on the same platform or two different platforms (such as voting once on Facebook and once on the Forum). Twitter polls being anonymous could skew the results slightly but given the massive gap between no deal and the other two options I think it's safe to say there's not been an overly warped affect on the result.

367 votes accepted from 388 votes recorded in total.

Option 1 – 54 (14.71%)
Option 2 – 14 (3.81%)
Option 3 – 299 (81.47%)

meta-chart (2).png

I'd like to propose a fourth option, which may be suitable for all parties concerned, could safeguard the future of Cappielow as Morton's home in perpetuity.  It is an idea which will require some tweaking to get to where it needs to be, but it is something of a start:

NEITHER PARTY OWNS THE STADIUM

In the event that a fans group (such as MCT) purchase the club as a going concern, the stadium and property assets concerned would be transferred into a charitable trust, with the club in turn having a life rental of the ground and properties for the purposes of its footballing and trading operations.

The trust should consist of a nominated person from GMFC Ltd and a nominated person from the Rae Family, both serving as trustees, along with a third independent trustee (Solicitor) who would serve in an administrator capacity.

GMFC pay an annual peppercorn rent to the charitable trust for the use of ground for football & trading purposes; plus also make an annual donation towards the charitable trust for ground maintenance and improvements.

Should GMFC Ltd cease to exist for whatever reason, the Trust can either be wound up and the assets be sold on the open market; make arrangements with a phoenix club should one arise; or make arrangement with any other third parties re use of facilities.

If a fan owned club ceases to exist for whatever reason and the Charitable Trust is wound up, the assets held by the trust would be dispersed to the trustee organisations.  The Rae Family could be benefit from the sale of assets if this arises.

It's a seed of a thought just now, one which our legal minded folk could develop further.

Thoughts?

*insert signature here*

It's a nice idea except for the issue that once you remove the ground, there aren't any other serious assets at GMFC right now to convince anyone (especially a bank) that you're running a credible business and not a stupid wee village social club. I don't see how MCT can cover short term cashflow issues or put together a business plan worthy of the name if the club they're taking over has zero assets. I also don't see the incentive for GC to go along with this, when they can simply insist on charging peppercorn rent to themselves and keep the asset on their potentially tottering books.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

It's a nice idea except for the issue that once you remove the ground, there aren't any other serious assets at GMFC right now to convince anyone (especially a bank) that you're running a credible business and not a stupid wee village social club. I don't see how MCT can cover short term cashflow issues or put together a business plan worthy of the name if the club they're taking over has zero assets. I also don't see the incentive for GC to go along with this, when they can simply insist on charging peppercorn rent to themselves and keep the asset on their potentially tottering books.

It would essentially be very similar to setting up a new business in leasehold premises which due to the terms of the leasehold eg. 999 years non-expiring at a peppercorn rent, would effectively mean the club has rent free premises, apart from paying a nominal sum of say, £1 per year.

There would be something of value to a Bank that GMFC Ltd are still a credible business - league membership, a regular income related to sport, advertising revenue, image rights, a share of broadcasting rights income, potential to develop income streams, food & beverage income, plus the terms of the leasehold would be asset in itself - there would be enough there to convince a financial institution on West Blackhall Street that GMFC Ltd under new ownership isn't a bunch of Walter Mitty's who deserve to be laughed out the door.  

Also,

This would potentially be of benefit to the Rae Family, whilst they would be relinquishing ownership and control of the property assets they would have an interest within a charitable trust which would secure the future of Cappielow as Morton's home in perpetuity.  The Rae Family and GC would benefit financially from the tax breaks associated with making such a large donation to a charitable trust plus writing-off a 'bad debt' would also have benefits in itself.  It would also ringfence the properties from any potential creditors of the Rae Family/Golden Casket.

If MCT's buyout goes tits up and no phoenix club arises, the trust could be wound up and the assets sold, the Rae Family could stand to get a payout from the disbursement of funds.

It's an advancement of something which is on the table, albeit with the need for legal minds to work out some of the intricacies, but this would be a great way for the Rae Family to redeem themselves and do the right thing by their fathers legacy.

*insert signature here*

Archived