Straw Poll - Are We In A Relegation Battle? - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Straw Poll - Are We In A Relegation Battle?

BishopBrennan

Are We In A Relegation Battle?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Are We In A Relegation Battle?

Looking forward to His Grace's follow-up polls on whether bears shit in the woods and whether his head honcho at the Vatican is a Catholic. 

We've been in a relegation battle all season long but only now after the final transfer window has closed that in true, Morton fashion, is it confirmed that we now have the weakest squad in that contest as well. Our centre forward options have been genuinely League Two standard all season long and the likes of McGinty and McLean will always have a switching off moment in them. That's a recipe for many low-scoring defeats. 

The only way this team will survive is if the midfield can step up to the plate then. Which means our real midfielders like Jacobs, Lyon and Colville playing, as well as Nesbitt getting a boot up the arse or whatever is needed to get him to deliver goals and assists. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

2 hours ago, vikingTON said:

The only way this team will survive is if the midfield can step up to the plate then. Which means our real midfielders like Jacobs, Lyon and Colville playing, as well as Nesbitt getting a boot up the arse or whatever is needed to get him to deliver goals and assists. 

Have said this for weeks.

The big question is why are they not playing. I am concerned that Lyon is injured and no info circulating on this. 

Colville I am sure it in his demeanour, his level of interest never seems high enough, but maybe that's just him on the surface.

Jacob's has been injured so there is hope there.

Nesbitt is an altogether different problem. He does have talent but I fear lack confidence. I am sure Hopkin adopted the as you say the kick up the arse approach. I have many years of man management and while this works for some it doesn't work for everyone. I think it calls for a bit of putting the arm around him and telling him he is capable but yes it won't work every week. Good news he was not substituted today, showing confidence in him.

A big concern I have is Miller and McLean starting both are passed it and should only be used as experienced cover for injuries.

What ever are the issues we need to sort it soon. My only hope is that the squad seem together unlike that fiasco of a year after we bead Celtic in the league cup and stood back saying look at what we did.

Cant disagree with VT. From the first whistle of the season it's all been about a avoiding the drop...a few wins and yes people like myself maybe looked up but the simple fact is avoid relegation at all costs and at the end of the day it was always going to be a battle to achieve that

13 minutes ago, GiGi said:

I think Nesbitt is just not very good.

We've seen enough from Nesbitt's performances at this level to expect better than his current showing. I'm not expecting Nicky Cadden's productivity but there is significant room for improvement available even for a half-decent attacking midfielder in this squad and in this division. Not missing when it was easier to score at Palmerston for a start. 

Salkeld, McGuffie and above all Omar have not delivered or in some cases have never even looked like offering a threat. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

3 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

We've seen enough from Nesbitt's performances at this level to expect better than his current showing. I'm not expecting Nicky Cadden's productivity but there is significant room for improvement available even for a half-decent attacking midfielder in this squad and in this division. Not missing when it was easier to score at Palmerston for a start. 

Salkeld, McGuffie and above all Omar have not delivered or in some cases have never even looked like offering a threat. 

That wasn't Nesbitt's first bad miss when it mattered and it's not just this season either. I think he's not going to get much better and his record of goals and assists is generally just piss poor at any level. He's supposed to be one of our better players, that is a problem.

Agree on the rest, the squad is just full of duffers and that will ultimately be why we will go down.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

We are certainly at least close to a relegation battle but at the same time we are only three points off fourth. I doubt we will take much from the next few games, but once we get to the weaker teams we could put the issue to bed. Not if we persist with Blues and Omar though. Let’s hope Sterling is better than he looked in his feeble cameo yesterday.

We need to avoid losing to the likes of Alloa, Arbroath and Queens. We haven’t so far lost to Ayr or even Dunfermline so we are able to at least compete, but starting with a weakened team every week is rank stupidity.  We have had a terrible run recently but it’s not yet terminal.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

31 minutes ago, Alibi said:

We are certainly at least close to a relegation battle but at the same time we are only three points off fourth. I doubt we will take much from the next few games, but once we get to the weaker teams we could put the issue to bed. Not if we persist with Blues and Omar though. Let’s hope Sterling is better than he looked in his feeble cameo yesterday.

We need to avoid losing to the likes of Alloa, Arbroath and Queens. We haven’t so far lost to Ayr or even Dunfermline so we are able to at least compete, but starting with a weakened team every week is rank stupidity.  We have had a terrible run recently but it’s not yet terminal.

Blinkered to still look up at all right now and think 'ach, it'll be alright'. That's what the board are doing and sleepwalking to relegation.

We are bottom of the form table. We have failed to beat ANY of the supposed weaker teams in the past month having played them all.

They all seem to be picking up performances and have strengthened their squads while ours got arguably weaker.

If it's not panic time already, it sure as hell will be after the next few stick on losses.

There's no debate to be had here: of course we are. Seven without a win and you can't see any realistic prospect of that changing soon, while we're only 3 points from 9th and 6 from 10th with Queen of the South and Alloa each having a game in hand over us.

We're far more likely to end this month in the bottom two than stay out of it, and when you get in a rut as bad as this it becomes increasingly difficult to see where points are going to come from. In the likely event that we don't take anything from ICT and Hearts we've then got Dundee at home, Ayr at home, Dunfermline away and QOS at home. If the winless run doesn’t end over the course of those games we're gone - those four games need to be returning an absolute minimum of six points, with three against Queens essential.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I'm genuinely struggling to understand why there is one person who thinks we're not in a relegation battle.  Does Crawford have an account?

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

4 hours ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

I'm looking forward to the 

Throw in of the Month competition for February

We can still have a GotM for February.

If we include previous seasons' Februarys too.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Archived