Jim McAlister to retire - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Jim McAlister to retire

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time to get this thread back on track instead of talking about the £500k.

Jim McAlister is heading to Ibrox to work with Rangers kit man Jimmy Bell. This a good move for Jim as he's a big Rangers fan and being about Ibrox on a daily basis will be like nirvana for him. This will give him the financial security he is obviously looking for. Jimmy Bell has been at Ibrox for 40 years. 

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

On 2/1/2021 at 1:21 AM, cmdc said:

I don’t think the club is in mortal danger, partly because of the grant and partly because of the backstop commitment made by the Raes to keep the club going until the handover.

The Rae's aren't keeping the club going, the fans are.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

2 hours ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

Jim McAlister is heading to Ibrox to work with Rangers kit man Jimmy Bell. This a good move for Jim as he's a big Rangers fan and being about Ibrox on a daily basis will be like nirvana for him. This will give him the financial security he is obviously looking for. Jimmy Bell has been at Ibrox for 40 years. 

Wonder if there might be a coaching opportunity there at some point too, down the age groups.

21 hours ago, cmdc said:

Wonder if there might be a coaching opportunity there at some point too, down the age groups.

Jim needs to get his badges first but the answer to that is yes.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

On 2/13/2021 at 12:23 PM, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

Apologies if this is a really stupid question.  But does being the bloke who puts the soft rinse into the washing machine for the kit man at Ibrox offer more job security and satisfaction than playing for a living?  I know that Jim's a fan of the Rangers, but this is quite a sad indictment of the state of Scottish football.  And could they not hold the position open to let him see out the season?

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

Might just be me, but I neither think McAlister's contribution on the pitch over his two spells has really been all that remarkable and nor do I think a club captain who's also part of the management team walking out half-way through such a crucial season to go and wash strips elsewhere is somebody who really deserves the big, fawning send-off as a "great servant".

AWMSC

On 2/13/2021 at 12:23 PM, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

This is great news. Genuinely. 

Jimmy Bell is one of the great characters of the Scottish game. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times at social functions. Just listening to his stories about Rangers would be worth the opportunity alone.

Well done Jim, onwards and upwards to Scotland’s greatest club. I think if we’re being honest with ourselves being at Rangers would be nirvana for most of us.

Take note MCT/Rae, the club should be moving the Earth to bring a Rangers XI to Cappielow for his testimonial. As I’ve said before, get Nacho Novo involved, he was a proud servant for both clubs.

2 hours ago, EanieMeany said:

Might just be me, but I neither think McAlister's contribution on the pitch over his two spells has really been all that remarkable and nor do I think a club captain who's also part of the management team walking out half-way through such a crucial season to go and wash strips elsewhere is somebody who really deserves the big, fawning send-off as a "great servant".

This.  In its entirety.

It isn't as though the Harry Dunn's are giving him the SOS as they are desperate for someone of his talents in the middle of the pitch.  It's to wash strips, and be the understudy to one of the greatest arseholes in Scottish football.

Good fucking riddance.

*insert signature here*

I don't really blame Jim for taking the job security, given that this club's dying on its arse and he'd be out of contract in a few months anyway. But we're down a central midfielder (and captain) now in the middle of a relegation battle.

EOho8Pw.png

40 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

I don't really blame Jim for taking the job security, given that this club's dying on its arse and he'd be out of contract in a few months anyway. But we're down a central midfielder (and captain) now in the middle of a relegation battle.

He could have got job security in a local call centre or driving deliveries for a supermarket or Amazon etc.  

Let's face it, it's the draw of the Harry Dunn's that has led to him turning his back on Morton.  If he was a bit more patient he could have had a nice testimonial and payday when the supporters are allowed back, but no, joining 'thu craft' means more to some, even if it is to be on their cleaning staff.

*insert signature here*

Is it definite that's what he's off to do?

Walking out during a relegation battle when Captain and part of the interim management team was hard to take but pretty shoddy if it's to be a kitman's assistant. 

He could have been the actual kit man at Morton rather than understudy if that was his dream seeing as we don't even have one.

1 hour ago, TRVMP said:

I don't particularly blame him either, he's entitled to make that choice, but in doing so he should also be walking away from any idea of testimonials or fond farewells...or getting brought on for no good reason at all in a game we had to win to give him a send-off. That's the choice you make if you piss off half-way through your contract, it'd be different if he'd been forced to retire with injuries.

AWMSC

1 minute ago, EanieMeany said:

I don't particularly blame him either, he's entitled to make that choice, but in doing so he should also be walking away from any idea of testimonials or fond farewells...or getting brought on for no good reason at all in a game we had to win to give him a send-off. That's the choice you make if you piss off half-way through your contract, it'd be different if he'd been forced to retire with injuries.

That is a good point and I had forgotten he'd even come on.

It's hard to avoid the conclusion that, despite having a manager, we're a bit of a rudderless ship.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived