Jim McAlister to retire - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Jim McAlister to retire

3 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

A statement more recent than the one you just quoted, but prior to the SG money, also said that the Raes were going to continue to maintain the club until the end of the season. 

Yep, but that’s not incompatible with what was posted above. 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, cmdc said:

Yep, but that’s not incompatible with what was posted above. 

If the club's still in mortal danger despite a half a million pound windfall then we should be discussing insolvency rather than loose change.

EOho8Pw.png

Just now, TRVMP said:

If the club's still in mortal danger despite a half a million pound windfall then we should be discussing insolvency rather than loose change.

I don’t think the club is in mortal danger, partly because of the grant and partly because of the backstop commitment made by the Raes to keep the club going until the handover.

1 minute ago, cmdc said:

I don’t think the club is in mortal danger, partly because of the grant and partly because of the backstop commitment made by the Raes to keep the club going until the handover.

The backstop came before the grant. You know this.

The Raes are already about to sneak out the back door with the deeds to the stadium, unless something changes (and it's looking less likely by the day that it will.) They've also been very creative with their pledge to wipe out the debt pending MCT investment. Originally it was just that - wiping out the debt - and now they've put MCT on some ridiculous Brighthouse installment plan. So now the backstop can have a honking big asterisk next to it: "minus the 500k grant, plus whatever else we can tack on the end of it." In fact in my view you'd be naive to think this isn't the case, given the Raes' absolutely shameful doubletalk and chicanery since DDF's passing away.

Once again, all of this is perfectly legal. There is no question of any wrongdoing in any of the actions so far, up to and including looting the club of its hitherto-indivisible, 142-year-old home.  It is also, however, the latest in a long line of moves more befitting an absentee landlord than someone who cares about the club. I would regard it as the role of anyone who cares about the future of the club, as opposed to the future of the dauphin and his ingrate brood and their bank accounts, to seek a commitment that this 500k be used for its intended purpose, and not as an excuse to renege yet again on the commitment to wipe out the debt the Raes created in the first place.

EOho8Pw.png

Yeah, I do know the chronology. That is the point. The club was reported to be in some financial difficulty, the Raes made (what I understood to be) a backstop commitment to allay concerns about any existential threat, the grant came along to ease pressure and lessened the need to resort to that backstop - that being the nature of a backstop. 

Great, so now they don't need to fund the club anymore.

So what are they doing here again, exactly? Other than giving themselves the land the club's called home for almost its entire existence?

EOho8Pw.png

Well, if you allow me to make the logical leap with you from my post to your response, one rather obvious answer to your question is: to provide a backstop if the club is unable to sustain itself before the handover.

2 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

The notion that FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND POUNDS OF FREE MONEY is just going to disappear on covering existing shortfalls in expenditure is risible. Do you really think the club has been losing somewhere in the region of £100K a month? Even if they were, would the six employees who've left this month not lead to some reduction in that loss?

He is absolutely aware that Crawford said back in December on Sportsound that the Raes were "fully underwriting losses until handover."

We'll file that one next to their fully writing off the debt, then.

EOho8Pw.png

7 minutes ago, cmdc said:

Well, if you allow me to make the logical leap with you from my post to your response, one rather obvious answer to your question is: to provide a backstop if the club is unable to sustain itself before the handover.

There's no logical leap. You don't know what a logical leap is.

Per dunning's question - between today and the end of the season, do you think Morton are going to make a loss of 500,001 pounds or more? If the answer is no, there's no need for the backstop. If the answer is yes, we are absolutely gigafucked and I refer you to my original point about insolvency - without the stadium as an asset (the Raes are leaving with the deeds, as you know) and with such losses, the club is insolvent.

EOho8Pw.png

1 minute ago, cmdc said:

Again, nothing there that is incompatible with what I said. In fact, it is more or less repeating it. 

Anyway - hope JiM

has a long and happy retirement.

No, I'm not repeating what you're saying and it's dishonest to say that I am. You regard the 500k grant as something to prevent the "backstop." I regard the Raes' commitment to underwrite the losses as separate from this, given that it predated it and it was never a contingent factor. These are opposite positions and cannot be taken as repetitions of each other.

EOho8Pw.png

Just now, cmdc said:

Then I guess we can agree to differ. If I’m using that phrase correctly?

I really couldn't care less about your agreement or your phrasing on anything. The sooner you fuck off with the Raes the better.

EOho8Pw.png

You know all this speculation could be put to bed so easily if the club (Crawford) would just be upfront and honest with the fans. Communication from the club has/had improved quite a bit but the questions that fans are most interested in don't get answered.

A simple financial update from the "club accountant" would do the trick.

1. Where are we against the plan as set out at the beginning of the season?

2. Where are we now given the £500k Scottish Gov injecting of funds?

3. Where do we expect the club to be at the end of the season?

These are all crucial questions that fans want answers to given that it's they that will be taking on the financial responsibility of the club come June. MCT must already know, or should know, the answer to these questions and they owe to their members to inform them of what to expect come June. There should be NO surprises.   

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

10 minutes ago, 9 Strathblane Crescent said:

You know all this speculation could be put to bed so easily if the club (Crawford) would just be upfront and honest with the fans. Communication from the club has/had improved quite a bit but the questions that fans are most interested in don't get answered.

A simple financial update from the "club accountant" would do the trick.

1. Where are we against the plan as set out at the beginning of the season?

2. Where are we now given the £500k Scottish Gov injecting of funds?

3. Where do we expect the club to be at the end of the season?

These are all crucial questions that fans want answers to given that it's they that will be taking on the financial responsibility of the club come June. MCT must already know, or should know, the answer to these questions and they owe to their members to inform them of what to expect come June. There should be NO surprises.   

You are being very naive if you think we will get this information.

Have the Club ever given a financial update to fans prior to published accounts? In a word 'No'

Are they likely to do so prior to the takeover? In a word 'No'

Do MCT know the current financial position? Probably in broad terms but are they legally able to impart this information to fans before formal takeover? In  a word 'No'

35 minutes ago, Boogs49 said:

You are being very naive if you think we will get this information.

Have the Club ever given a financial update to fans prior to published accounts? In a word 'No'

Are they likely to do so prior to the takeover? In a word 'No'

Do MCT know the current financial position? Probably in broad terms but are they legally able to impart this information to fans before formal takeover? In  a word 'No'

Just because it hasn't been done before doesn't mean that it can't be done. We are all hoping that when MCT take over things will be done differently. Keeping fans informed about all aspects of the club,within reason, has to be a priority.

Now would be a good time to start. There should NO surprises come June.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

12 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Once again, all of this is perfectly legal. There is no question of any wrongdoing in any of the actions so far, up to and including looting the club of its hitherto-indivisible, 142-year-old home.  

Whilst I agree with the rest of your point, I do believe there was stipulations regarding the 500k Grant and, therefore, they could be making themselves and the club liable by not using it properly

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone ever find out what job opportunity Jim took, on such short notice? One suggestion on here was that he was joining the family builders business. Another suggestion was that he was taking up a non-playing role at another club. Wherever he went, good luck to him.

Archived