Jim McAlister to retire - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Jim McAlister to retire

Hello everybody its been a few weeks, looks like nothing has changed...same old patter.

Jim McAlister is retiring topic starts and just over an hour later the first reply of the Rae/GC and the usual sh*t* begins. Aye its their fault for everything drum starts banging. A guy canny retire in peace without the QAnon brigade chimming in. 

Sounds like fake news and people blowing smoke about where the f*ck* is the money. Almost starting to think that trump was not well and truly humped.

Good luck Jim, best wishes for you and your family.  

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, WhowouldbeaMortonfan said:

Hello everybody its been a few weeks, looks like nothing has changed...same old patter.

Jim McAlister is retiring topic starts and just over an hour later the first reply of the Rae/GC and the usual sh*t* begins. Aye its their fault for everything drum starts banging. A guy canny retire in peace without the QAnon brigade chimming in. 

Sounds like fake news and people blowing smoke about where the f*ck* is the money. Almost starting to think that trump was not well and truly humped.

Don't think you've actually been reading what people have been saying. No-one is stopping the guy from 'retiring in peace', in fact it's the opposite, I think everyone voiced their thanks for his services and wished him all the best.

But the nature of the very sudden retirement announcement half-way through the season is extremely unusual and of course people are going to ask very legitimate questions about that. Especially given the instructions from GC to dump 6 players in January. Hint - it's kinda what forums like are for, if you're not for open and free discussions on serious matters surrounding the way the club is heading, off you fuck. 

The point I'm making CHC

The election was stolen, we hear over and over and over.........without a shread of evidence that can be substantiated, provided or held up in Court. Yeah but it's a fact.....because it just is....everybody says sooooo.

Pavolvian Theory comes to mind.

So regarding the forum, it disnae matter what the topic is, the same folk always bring it round to the Rae's/GC....it's all their fault........blah blah blah.

Analysis = Pavlovian Theory

BTW, I'm delighted to hear there are free thinkers on this forum and I look forward to reading their informed accurate opinions and information......its the stuff that's made up ah canny be bothered wi'

5 minutes ago, WhowouldbeaMortonfan said:

The point I'm making CHC

The election was stolen, we hear over and over and over.........without a shread of evidence that can be substantiated, provided or held up in Court. Yeah but it's a fact.....because it just is....everybody says sooooo.

Pavolvian Theory comes to mind.

So regarding the forum, it disnae matter what the topic is, the same folk always bring it round to the Rae's/GC....it's all their fault........blah blah blah.

Analysis = Pavlovian Theory

BTW, I'm delighted to hear there are free thinkers on this forum and I look forward to reading their informed accurate opinions and information......its the stuff that's made up ah canny be bothered wi'

Speculation is inevitable when there are no answers to the very legitimate concerns people have. I'd suggest that's just human nature, and not unique to this forum. Like the 500k from the SG, for instance. Personally I don't believe it will be deposited directly into the GC bank account, but they could see get a large chunk of it indirectly. They have said they will wipe out the debt when ownership is transferred to MCT (minus Cappielow, of course, but that's a separate discussion). So if that 500k in whole or in part is used to reduce the debt before the transfer of ownership, they do get it indirectly. These are legitimate concerns and people have a right to know what that money is being used for.

Suggest you start a new topic to "Show Me The Money"...only a suggestion.

I for one don't think it will or CAN be used to pay off anyones debt. The money provided by the Goverment and utlimately all Scottish paying tax payers will "likely" have specific clauses to ensure that the funds provided are used for current and future ongoing operating costs. I'm "sure" the funds recieved by all companies are intended to keep them afloat and provide a cash stream until the can operate independently.

Whatever the specific clasuses are, I have know idea. I do hope the Scottish Goverment have been smart enough the ring fence what the funds can be used for and have checks and balances in place to future audit all who recieved such benefit.  

My opinion not fact...........

8 minutes ago, WhowouldbeaMortonfan said:

My opinion not fact...........

That's the point.... where we don't have facts we only have opinions. Maybe you're right, but we have no idea. It will all depend on the definition of what constitutes 'debt' in the transfer agreement, and if any monies remaining from the 500k grant at the time of transfer are deducted from the debt. 

If you're right, a simple statement from GC and MCT confirming that any residual cash from the 500k grant at the time of transfer of ownership will remain in the Morton account, the issue will be put to bed once and for all.

Unless the SG is handing over the grant in suitcases of marked fifties then they can do nothing of the sort. It's just a virtual number being entered into an account book. When the club spends money on any sort of expense, it gets used just like any other income. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

45 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Unless the SG is handing over the grant in suitcases of marked fifties then they can do nothing of the sort. It's just a virtual number being entered into an account book. When the club spends money on any sort of expense, it gets used just like any other income. 

Indeed, but lets say hypothetically there's 200k left in the accounts at the time of transfer of ownership, the majority of which we can reasonably assumed to have originated from the 500k grant. Will that be left in the Morton account or used to partially write off the remaining debt to GC?

3 hours ago, WhowouldbeaMortonfan said:

Why don't you fk off then. Your shite contributions won't be missed oh and don't let the door hit your arse on the way out. 

In theory it'd be good if it was possible for the government money to have  clauses attached so teams couldn't boot the hole out of it, but in practise it's hard to really see how you could begin to monitor it. Either way, if there's not even one more player added to the squad given the boost from that cash as well as the wages saved, there's extremely serious questions to be asked...on top of all the existing ones.

AWMSC

I know the Raes and their fluffers are inherently dishonest, but just in case anyone's being taken in by some of the crap above:

The suspicion isn't that the Raes are going to take any money out of the club. The suspicion isn't that the money isn't ultimately going towards Morton's expenditure. The suspicion is that this 500k, rather than being used as a windfall to help the club going forward, will be considered part of the club's regular income and will be subject to the agreement of debt-clearing. So hypothetically if the Raes were going to write off (say, for example) 2.3 million - in exchange for the fucking stadium, mind you - that would now instead be 1.8 million.

I believe there is a greater than 50% chance of this being true. I'm not saying it is and I'm not saying it isn't. But based on everything we've seen over the past year, and the current state of the management and the squad, I believe this not only to be in the realm of possibility, but actually pretty likely.

EOho8Pw.png

4 hours ago, WhowouldbeaMortonfan said:

Your reply lacks perspective. GMFC are the only club in the division shedding staff and associated costs with no new signings to fill the gaps - a puzzling state of affairs given the government's largesse. Those that left have not been shy about where the blame lies hence it is perfectly understandable why the fans lack trust in the current governship of the club. DDFR's heart was clearly in the right place but that does not mean the club should bear the cost for his misguided management. You may not like it but for many fans the Raes are now a toxic brand.

Personally I'm fine with shrinking the absolute size of the squad, providing it's gone about in a sensitive way (which, if we believe Hoppy's comments on the radio, was not the case.) But not having a sub goalkeeper is tinpot at this level. We also have a weakness up front. Thankfully the manager has said that he's looking to rectify these things.

EOho8Pw.png

As has been mentioned it depends on the SG’s checks and balances, but a creative accountant can make that money disappear quite easily. As for the debt, it was Rae senior’s debt but was always left hanging over the club like the Sword of Damocles.

1 hour ago, RealTonKid said:

As has been mentioned it depends on the SG’s checks and balances, but a creative accountant can make that money disappear quite easily. As for the debt, it was Rae senior’s debt but was always left hanging over the club like the Sword of Damocles.

No doubt, but given the perilous state of the club's finances this season - as described in a recent MCT statement - I'm not sure there will be much, if anything, of £500k left to "pocket" (as it was put earlier in the thread) when the time comes to hand the club over in the summer.

Given that none of us can be certain about the fate of the £500k, it would useful for the club to indicate what has been spent, where it has gone and what plans (if any) are in place for the remainder.

I can't see that there is too much commercially sensitive info in that request and it would help to take the heat out of this issue. 

We know what it is not being spent on so how about GC break their fondness for secrecy and give us a little bit of transparency for a change.

1 hour ago, cmdc said:

No doubt, but given the perilous state of the club's finances this season - as described in a recent MCT statement - I'm not sure there will be much, if anything, of £500k left to "pocket" (as it was put earlier in the thread) when the time comes to hand the club over in the summer.

Given that the club have lost six employees after indicating to Hopkin that they wanted to cut the playing squad, what exactly is the £500k windfall covering? The number of fixtures is the same as previously budgeted for, the prize money is the same, and MCT are putting their contribution into the club as well.

It simply does not fly that GMFC assembled a tinpot squad and cut corners all summer, have slashed costs again and cut even more, utterly ludicrous corners and yet will only scrape to break-even thanks to government intervention. Not when literally every club at the same level is adding to their squad in January. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

2 hours ago, cmdc said:

The notion that FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND POUNDS OF FREE MONEY is just going to disappear on covering existing shortfalls in expenditure is risible. Do you really think the club has been losing somewhere in the region of £100K a month? Even if they were, would the six employees who've left this month not lead to some reduction in that loss?

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

52 minutes ago, dunning1874 said:

The notion that FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND POUNDS OF FREE MONEY is just going to disappear on covering existing shortfalls in expenditure is risible. Do you really think the club has been losing somewhere in the region of £100K a month? Even if they were, would the six employees who've left this month not lead to some reduction in that loss?

Why is it risible? On Dec 11th MCT said that, "to be frank," and having had greater insight to the club's finances, the "reality is the future of the club is at stake right now." It won't have done any harm to that position that some pressure has been taken off the wage bill (though some might return e.g. in the form of additional testing costs estimated at circa £50k). But we generally burn through somewhere in the region of £900k-£1.5m, give or take, in turnover per year, and that figure must have taken a substantial hit due to Covid (Dunfermline estimate a 50% reduction in income plus increased costs in meeting protocols), so yeah I can well imagine that £500k will be extremely welcome but also that there might not be much in the way of loose change. 

Archived