Jim McAlister to retire - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Jim McAlister to retire

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On Jim - he’s got an off field role at another club. Understandable at his career stage to take the opportunity.

Just now, Jamie_M said:

Then Ewan Boyle situation was an abuse of furlough.

I don’t think it was but been round the houses on that.

And there’s a long way from there to trousering half a million pounds!

1 hour ago, Nornirontons said:

Is there an echo on this forum? Can only assume you didn't read the king of keyboard warriors VTs post.

I left the school playground a long long time ago but in my opinion its relevant to me and maybe guys who left greenock along time ago...

It's certainly better examples than a mercenary and a boy who was an average also ran. To compare Jim McAllister to them just isn't relevant in any shape or form. Neither is a midfielder for a start🤪

Perhaps you can suggest someone then?

Actually, off the back of VTs post I took the opportunity to have a look on the excellent fitbastats site as I was intrigued by what age the players were. I suspected they were younger than Jim was and was proven correct. 

I recall watching the players you mentioned and agree that Jim had more to offer then them when they finished. 

Thing was though, they were finished by the end of their time. 

Two of the players you mentioned had jobs related to football that they were in the process of moving into. Dunno about Tolmie.

When they retired circa 93-94, there was not a pandemic affecting footballer and also the economy so, apart from the positional similarities with two of them, the examples are otherwise like comparing apples and elephants. 

Good luck to Jim. 

1 hour ago, cmdc said:

On Jim - he’s got an off field role at another club. Understandable at his career stage to take the opportunity.

I don’t think it was but been round the houses on that.

And there’s a long way from there to trousering half a million pounds!

There's complete cynicism from the support about Golden Casket's motives in everything they do. That cynicism is entirely down to their own management of the club over the last 20 years, with the last few months massively exacerbating that.

I do think it's highly unlikely that there's a nefarious scheme here, and the most likely thing is that the wholly understandable cynicism has got people doing 2+2 and getting 500K. It's more than likely a misplaced fear, for all that questioning GC's motives is entirely appropriate.

You have to see why people are suspicious though. After everything that has gone on already regarding the stadium and the takeover, we've now had the club shedding six wages, as Hopkin alleged was the plan when he walked out.  We have no manager, no goalkeeping coach, no Chief Executive, three first team regulars have left, one of them the captain retiring out of the blue in the middle of the season.

There's no indication that we're planning to use those saved wages to address the glaring weaknesses in the squad, notably only having one goalkeeper in a season where anyone can very feasibly find themselves having to self-isolate for 10 days over and above the existing risks of injury or red cards. Meanwhile, the clubs below us who are looking to drag us into the relegation battle, who already have such advantages as managers and multiple goalkeepers, are going out and strengthening their squads while ours gets weaker amidst a run of five games without a win.

Considering that context, it's entirely reasonable to ask where the fuck the five hundred thousand pounds - more than double the prize money we made last season - the club have been handed by the government has actually gone or is going to go. That money wasn't on the table when the talk of getting rid of six players entered the public domain, so why have they gone ahead with shedding six wages anyway, and what's the money going to be used for now these cuts have been made regardless?

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Yeah sure, it’s obvious fans are cynical about the running of the club. I just think there’s a huge leap from ‘the club has been badly run’ to ‘the owners are stealing half a million pounds’. The former is a reasonable debate. The latter is a serious allegation.

I assume that with match day income significantly reduced the £500k is being used to stabilise what was previously described by MCT as a perilous financial position. 

It isn't fair to assume that the Raes are pocketing a government grant. On the other hand, it also isn't reasonable to just assume that the current owners will act entirely selflessly and in the club's best interests.

The owners need the fans to take the club off their hands. They need the government grant. It isn't unreasonable to expect more transparency (and less spin) than is usually the case with the Raes, given the circumstances.

1 minute ago, TopCat said:

It isn't fair to assume that the Raes are pocketing a government grant. On the other hand, it also isn't reasonable to just assume that the current owners will act entirely selflessly and in the club's best interests.

The owners need the fans to take the club off their hands. They need the government grant. It isn't unreasonable to expect more transparency (and less spin) than is usually the case with the Raes, given the circumstances.

Yeah, I think the odds of the Raes writing themselves a wee check for have a million then leaving are very slim. Aside from anything else, it'd be a foolish thing to do.

I think the odds of their reducing their already-bare minimum support to virtually nothing, on the other hand, are significant. It would be churlish to expect them (or any owner, in fact) to push the boat out and spunk the money on a new January squad, and that's not what anyone expects. It isn't too much to ask, however, to have the trappings of a professional team, including a complement of goalkeepers less reminiscent of Jossy's Giants.

Let's bear in mind that MCT's agreement with the Raes involved writing off the debt (in exchange for the stadium, of course) that existed prior to this cash injection. If this cash "counts" towards that - rather than serving its intended purpose - then that's extremely shady. And unfortunately I think there is more chance of this being true than its not.

EOho8Pw.png

1 hour ago, cmdc said:

I assume that with match day income significantly reduced the £500k is being used to stabilise what was previously described by MCT as a perilous financial position. 

In what ways are they doing this? Six employees were asked to leave during Hopkin's showdown meeting before this windfall was announced - six employees have left regardless. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

4 hours ago, cmdc said:

Where is the idea coming from that the Rae family are pocketing half a million pounds of public money? 

It's quite obvious the 500k is being used to limit any Golden Casket expenditure on GMFC until the summer, when they can swan off not needing to care what division we end up in. 

Nothing illegal about that, but you'd have to be blinkered at this stage not to see that the grant is being used primarily as self-preservation for the Raes/GC, rather than for the overall benefit of Morton. 

Archived