Jim McAlister to retire - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Jim McAlister to retire

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fuck sake. Obviously sad to see one of our best players in modern times pack it in but not a great time for it.

It sounds like he won't be sticking around in the dugout either unless I'm misreading. (edit it actually expressly says that so he'll be off)

Get Reece Lyon into the sensory deprivation chamber (that we better be keeping McAdams in) only to be wheeled out for 90 minutes a week. We are going to seriously struggle.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

A total surprise right enough.

My reading of it is that he's got another job or starting his own business or something which will not allow him time to he involved in football.

On the other hand, it will free up another wage, so hopefully with a couple of days of the window left could there be something else on the horizon.

Anyway, good luck to him in the future whatever it holds for him.

1 minute ago, The Bewilderedbeast said:

On the other hand, it will free up another wage, so hopefully with a couple of days of the window left could there be something else on the horizon.

Anyway, good luck to him in the future whatever it holds for him.

Dunning has made this point elsewhere, but we've trimmed off the wages of Hopkin, Timmins and MacKinnon before now (plus whatever we were paying for McPake and McIver as loanees) and been in receipt of a £500,000 grant. If we don't use  a small portion of that to pick up necessary cover for a couple of 3 month contracts then it's sabotage by the board IMO.

We're not asking for anything above bare minimum.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Very strange timing. 

Good luck to Jim. Been a great servant to the club and was a real standout player in the 1st spell, unfortunately being forced to play as a left wingback due to Kevin Finlayson seemingly playing every game under Jim McInally, on the right side. 

Got to assume he has something lined up and doesn't want to leave it until May. 

He deserved a proper send off with a testimonial in front of fans, it's sad it's ending like this.

As GiGi says, it hasn't escaped notice that the club now have saved the magic number of six wages that were spoken about, albeit three of them have been non-playing staff, as well as unexpectedly being handed half a million pounds of public money.

Hopefully it was really his own decision regardless, and good luck to him.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Jim was a useful member of the squad and it's disappointing that he's strolling into the sunset at this stage of the season. But this is Morton and living with daily unexpected crises is our hallmark. 

All the best to him for his years of service and hope that his retirement is fulfilling.

I’m pretty gutted about this actually. Jim is one of the big factors in me being a Morton fan, given I was in my early teens when he was first in the team.

His second spell at the club might not have been as good as the first but you always got the impression he took the club seriously in terms of our stature and potential, gave his all for it and encouraged everyone around him to do the same. A throwback to the attitude of Rae sr., and we’re going to really miss that now I think at a time we desperately need it.

Hopefully Millar is of the same mould, who actually seemed to be on his way to retirement, unlike Jim. We may see more of him on the park now.

Bit of a bizarre one and I’d love to know the reasoning behind it, but best of luck for the future Jim. Hopefully there’s something of a testimonial at some point.

23 minutes ago, Scott said:

The Rae's will 100% be pocketing the 500K grant. We must be the only side in the Championship to have not signed anyone this January.

I hope  the Government will be looking into how that money is being used.

Archived