Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Inverness (27th Jan) - Page 5 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Preview/Thread - Morton vs Inverness (27th Jan)

Admin

You'd have taken that after 28 mins!!! 

Some very good performances Blues Colville Oliver Ledger the pick for me and wee McGuffie wasn't anonymous either.

I do like Oliver's knack of going into some challenges you wouldn't favour him on and somehow coming away with the ball. He did have that knack first time around and he keeps the ball well unlike Nesbitt(deary deary me)..who says you need to be 10ft tall to hold a ball up....it helps that their centre backs were 2 big puddings right enough.

You can look at the 2 goals we lost that were poor but I'll pass...60 mins with 10 men 2-1 down. I'll take the point and run thanks very much!!!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much better second half and a well-deserved draw. There’s enough there in the team, for all the glaring deficiencies, to be fighting for a top four position given the right management...and avoiding a few key injuries.

The goal was an excellent bit of play all-round, great perseverance and anticipation from Oliver to begin with then a perfect cross to meet a good run from Blues who, for all his other failings, seems to have a bit of a knack for that kind of movement. 

A lot to improve on from the first-half, but plenty of signs that that’s possible to do in the second. A decent night and outcome overall, given the early sending off.

AWMSC

32 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Much better second half and a well-deserved draw. There’s enough there in the team, for all the glaring deficiencies, to be fighting for a top four position given the right management...and avoiding a few key injuries.

I think there's a decent argument that we have the weakest team in the league in terms of genuine squad quality right now. There's not a huge gulf anywhere in the division except to Hearts and (on their day) Dundee, but it's to the great credit of the interim staff and squad that they're getting solid results every week instead of giving us a 13-14 farce of a campaign.

Promotion playoffs are entirely unrealistic though. We've also had a misleadingly kind start to the second round of games: Hearts, Dundee and Inverness up there all await after Saturday. 

The key point is that the current management team and players deserve the bare minimum of backing required to safely complete the job this season. It would be criminal to undo their best efforts because some chinless wonder Rae scion decides that Now Is Not the Time to fill the basic roles of a professional football club.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Despite Morton scoring early on Inverness dominated for much of the first half. In hindsight, the line-up left us short in midfield and Omar looked out of his depth - no surprise we looked a much better team down to ten men and fully deserved a draw. Fair play to the manager in reorganising things at half-time and to the team for the shift they put in to get the equaliser. In the circumstances, a decent point.

22 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Please please please let omar only have a one year deal🙈

As far as we know the only players contracted beyond the (slated) end of this season are Lyon and Strapp. Maybe things have changed behind the scenes but that's the latest info.

EOho8Pw.png

22 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Obviously hit the wrong post it was the 1 about McAdams that I was highlighting and glad to be finally catching up with all the rest of the world salad I've read on here over the years!!

Just cant agree with that. It was quite clearly not great conditions for a keeper to be doing much more than trying his best in anyway possible to  keep the ball out of the net. ICT keeper struggled too and imho hes 1 of the best in the league. The save just before the final whistle was out of the top drawer. I'd challenge any keeper in the league to do a better job than McAdams did with that and half of them wouldn't have saved it! Super stop...hes McDermott esque imo. Unorthodox at times and keeps you in games where others may not..and it has to be noted this guy is a keeper who's young and could have a Wylie career at Morton as this is his first full season as a number 1 and I dont think all things considered many can complain..??

ETA...look at the hash England's  number 1 made of things in not dissimilar conditions 

On Blues...he may have been pump last season (I didn't see many games) but this season hes the only goalscoring progressive midfield threat that's shown up this season. Hes a young boy developing in the game. Morton has been a breeding ground of sticking with youngsters who are not unlike Blues....put it this way...I'd rather we stick with a player like Blues who looks to pass forward and CAN FINISH than how we stuck with the likes of Stevie "sideways" Aitken when he should've been shown the door long before he was!!!

Blues game has come on this season.. (if all I read on here is to be believed). I totally agreed with "The King" before kickoff. Lyon's Blues and McAllister might not be where you thought we'd be looking at the beginning of the season but Iast season  seemed to be a let's have a go hero pish, free for all on every player...this season less so...but this season we've pumped by Raith away with 10 men and by a totally superior Hearts side. A playoff place is not impossible or improbable. Whether we get it or not the players clearly think and are aiming for it.

Inverness defensively are a shambles as are Dundee who we should have taken a point from already. It would be nice to see backing from the board but as I've already stated it's this group who want to achieve it and you cant knock them for it!

4 hours ago, TONofmemories said:

Take that all day given the circumstances 

Arbroath an absolute must win. Need to turn these draws to wins

When I seen the team I thought we must be resting a few for Saturday or we did 't expect IT to be up to match fittness as they hadn't played since December.

4 hours ago, GiGi said:

If Omar ends up banned for a couple of games after this we should appeal against it and try and get it up to at least 15.

As said by many mabe just not able to step up to Championship level. Should only be getting bit parts for the rest of the season.

Hard to judge  the performance overall as we had to change shape and tatics to compensate for having 10 men for 64 mins, hell injury time was heading to Ferggie time and we were the home side.

Thought boys on the park for the whole game put in a great shift and applied tatics well to get the draw.

Again wouldn't have started with Blues but he did put in a shift and after reading the game well powered into the box and applied an excelent finish.

At 1-2 and a man down, I was fearing a pumping as Caley were starting to get on top of us, but hats off to the players who held on and managed to snatch a point. As has been mentioned, it’s a limited group, but I can’t fault their resolve.

I agree that Omar just looks out of place in the team and shouldn’t be starting games. It was a soft sending off and a lot of refs would’ve gave him a last warning, but sliding in on a yellow gave the ref the opportunity to dismiss him.

13 hours ago, Monehton said:

Good call Andy 👍🏻

8218C64D-1B9F-4985-AAB8-3459F6F91D02.jpeg

I'm confused, i have no idea what you are indicating.

9 hours ago, Nornirontons said:

Just cant agree with that. It was quite clearly not great conditions for a keeper to be doing much more than trying his best in anyway possible to  keep the ball out of the net. ICT keeper struggled too and imho hes 1 of the best in the league. The save just before the final whistle was out of the top drawer. I'd challenge any keeper in the league to do a better job than McAdams did with that and half of them wouldn't have saved it! Super stop...hes McDermott esque imo. Unorthodox at times and keeps you in games where others may not..and it has to be noted this guy is a keeper who's young and could have a Wylie career at Morton as this is his first full season as a number 1 and I dont think all things considered many can complain..??

ETA...look at the hash England's  number 1 made of things in not dissimilar conditions 

On Blues...he may have been pump last season (I didn't see many games) but this season hes the only goalscoring progressive midfield threat that's shown up this season. Hes a young boy developing in the game. Morton has been a breeding ground of sticking with youngsters who are not unlike Blues....put it this way...I'd rather we stick with a player like Blues who looks to pass forward and CAN FINISH than how we stuck with the likes of Stevie "sideways" Aitken when he should've been shown the door long before he was!!!

Blues game has come on this season.. (if all I read on here is to be believed). I totally agreed with "The King" before kickoff. Lyon's Blues and McAllister might not be where you thought we'd be looking at the beginning of the season but Iast season  seemed to be a let's have a go hero pish, free for all on every player...this season less so...but this season we've pumped by Raith away with 10 men and by a totally superior Hearts side. A playoff place is not impossible or improbable. Whether we get it or not the players clearly think and are aiming for it.

Inverness defensively are a shambles as are Dundee who we should have taken a point from already. It would be nice to see backing from the board but as I've already stated it's this group who want to achieve it and you cant knock them for it!

I'm confused. I have no idea what any of that has to do with Omar.

That's the sort of draw that feels like a win, as opposed to the frequent "draws that feel like defeats" that we are used to.  Great run by Blues and a cool finish - if only we had any strikers who could do that.  Would have been delicious if that chance right at the end had gone in instead of the keeper deflecting it out, or the one that went right across the goal but was cleared by a defender near the back post.

Inverness are a big strong side and probably better than us. However their record of WDL is pretty much the same as ours, as many defeats as wins.

Watching that game, it was clear that we didn't have our strongest team on the park at the start. Midfield needs to contain Lyons (every game!), Colville (ditto), McAllister & probably Jacobs. Nesbitt needs to sharpen up his game as last night he constantly lost the ball or mis-hit passes or clearances. He's a terribly wasteful finisher.  He has talent but we're not getting the best out of him.  Blues has his moments and with his apparent eye for a goal maybe he should think of becoming the new Joe Mason. He did OK last night although he was a bit over-run due to the sending off.

We should be seeing off Arbroath on Saturday.  However our lack of goals concerns me. We need to put our strongest line-up out from the start.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

12 hours ago, Nornirontons said:

Word salad

I don't want to spoil the fun, but weren't a couple of Morton players warming up next to that goal as Blues scored? I'd be surprised if Blues was actually the one shouting. That been said, using laughing manically as your goal celebration is outstanding.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

16 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Aye to me it sounded like 'what a baw' came from off to the side. Nonetheless, an astute observation.

Probably the last words of Dave MacKinnon as he exited Cappielow for the last time or maybe not as you did say "an astute observation".

On 1/28/2021 at 11:48 AM, TRVMP said:

"Lovely stuff".

Sorry to quote myself but I've honestly watched this about 300 times. Everything about it - the ball across goal, the effortless finish, the WHAT A BAW, the Amadeus laughter, the 1970s state of the goalmouth - is just peak Morton, and it's why I love this club, and why I wish the current playing staff the best going forward, regardless of how this ends. 

EOho8Pw.png

Great video clip, soundtrack included, and what a sprint at that stage of the game.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Archived