Match Thread - Morton vs QOTS (Championship 19th December) - Page 7 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Thread - Morton vs QOTS (Championship 19th December)

Admin

7 minutes ago, piehutt said:

Agree. Can definitely see him develop into a box to box midfielder. Certainly has the attributes in terms of skill, passing, athleticism. 

This is why we can't have nice things. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably do a decent job in midfield, just as Messi could slot in at left back if required. However Strapp is doing well at left back so why do a Mark Russell with him? 

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

On 12/20/2020 at 8:10 PM, Madton said:

I'd recall Wylie. Saves spending unnecessary money on a keeper who probably won't play all season. Just need a competent keeper for the bench in the unlikely event that McAdams gets injured.

If we were to lose McAdams for a longer period, we bring in a loan or free agent.

Wylie will be training with us anyway so apart from having a keeper on the bench he's pretty much available and part of the squad assuming we can recall him. 

I'd much rather a keeper on the bench too but I'm guessing that was Hopkin's logic until he decided he shouldn't have signed another winger and another keeper was a sensible idea. 

Best strategy with Lewis Strapp is to let him develop his natural game.  He is still only a young lad, but what a player he is!!  He will be in demand very soon.

Reading comments like Piehutt's above make me feel glad that the likes of him are left to spout irrelevant shite on messageboards rather than have any real influence on the future of such an immense young talent.

*insert signature here*

On 12/21/2020 at 9:30 AM, piehutt said:

Agree. Can definitely see him develop into a box to box midfielder. Certainly has the attributes in terms of skill, passing, athleticism. 

Or just concentrate on letting him become the best he can be in his own position? 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

45 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Or just concentrate on letting him become the best he can be in his own position? 

In the case of Strapp, I agree with this. He seems to be developing all the qualities to be a good left back. I'm not seeing any signs at the moment that anyone would benefit from a change of role. 

As a general point, it can go either way. There was a certain point in Jim McAlister's Morton career, for example, that it became clear that he might be better developing in central midfield than out on the wing, but it was only after leaving us that any team really took advantage of that. Sometimes we get a bit bogged down on the idea that a player should stick to a certain role (of course, for other players being messed around by being played in different roles can really stifle their development as a player). 

2 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

In the case of Strapp, I agree with this. He seems to be developing all the qualities to be a good left back. I'm not seeing any signs at the moment that anyone would benefit from a change of role. 

As a general point, it can go either way. There was a certain point in Jim McAlister's Morton career, for example, that it became clear that he might be better developing in central midfield than out on the wing, but it was only after leaving us that any team really took advantage of that. Sometimes we get a bit bogged down on the idea that a player should stick to a certain role (of course, for other players being messed around by being played in different roles can really stifle their development as a player). 

McAlister had a spell at centre mid in 2007 under McInally and was half the player he was out wide. The big shout at the time for McAlister was playing him on the right instead of the left.

1 hour ago, Deego said:

McAlister had a spell at centre mid in 2007 under McInally and was half the player he was out wide. The big shout at the time for McAlister was playing him on the right instead of the left.

I was impressed with McAlister at centre mid during that spell. I always thought that fans thought it so disagreeable because they just had it so stuck in their head that he had to be a winger. He showed he had the drive and energy to play in the middle, even if it was a bit new to him. I'll admit I was a bit of a lone voice on this at the time, but I thought that was one of those cases where fans just didn't think that was his position and didn't judge his performances there fairly. 

It was my feeling, by that point, that he lacked the creative footballing brain to really excel in the wing. He lacked what he needed with his final ball, and the vision and decision making that goes along with that, to make the best of his other abilities out there. 

4 hours ago, SpoonTon said:

I was impressed with McAlister at centre mid during that spell. I always thought that fans thought it so disagreeable because they just had it so stuck in their head that he had to be a winger. He showed he had the drive and energy to play in the middle, even if it was a bit new to him. I'll admit I was a bit of a lone voice on this at the time, but I thought that was one of those cases where fans just didn't think that was his position and didn't judge his performances there fairly. 

It was my feeling, by that point, that he lacked the creative footballing brain to really excel in the wing. He lacked what he needed with his final ball, and the vision and decision making that goes along with that, to make the best of his other abilities out there. 

I opened a reply to say the same thing basically - my memory of him on the wing at that time was that yes he was quick and direct but his end product was lacking, which is why he wasn't snapped up by a bigger club at the time...

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

Archived